Bridge Over Troubled Water -double 45 ultradisc box set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bruce of oz, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Let me ask you this.

Why is the one step 45RPM double the price of the regular MoFi 45RPM reissue? For example MoFi reportedly only pressed around 3000 copies each of the Bob Dylan mono reissues, which is less than what MoFi is pressing for their one step reissues and is charging the normal price. So, is it really limited availability? If the physical box isn’t driving up the price all that much, then what is? Is it the actual mastering process? Is it more time consuming? Is it the quality of the vinyl that RTI uses? Are we paying twice as much because of a gimmick? I’m not saying this to be argumentative, just wondering why the excessive prices.

I can’t say that I was all that wowed by the Bill Evans release. I think the AP Village Vanguard reissue done by Steve & Kevin Gray holds its own.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Don't forget the hideous design!

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I ordered two. In case I accidentally ruin one!

Jrr likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I doubt it's even that. You have to admit, when you spend that kind of money the extras and box are nice. I do love the book that came with the Joel. If I could pick between paying $5 more or getting it without the deluxe packaging it would depend on the price. I think if it were under $30 I would get it without, but when you are already way past "stupid price" I don't think it effects people's decision making and if anything, compels you to just buy it. I literally get chills when I listen to a good recording of Bridge. This is a top five album for me, and I totally agree it's getting discouraging to see the same stuff come out over and over. But, I think a lot of us are going to buy it and that right there tells us why they keep going back to the same old well. I'm very, very surprised Columbia is still allowing the master tape to be used. That may be the other issue...perhaps the labels just aren't willing to let many of the tapes out of the vault. I do have the Sundazed edition of this album and I quite enjoy it, but I just can't pass this one up.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Smart man. I thought of that. And I should probably buy another copy from Elusive or another vendor (I bought mine from Direct Disc)...though I didn't see them up on Elusive last night yet. All you have to do is hold the second copy and likely pay for both a year from now if you sell it on the bay! I have never, that I can recall, purchased a bad MFSL pressing so I think the risk is very low and you'll have a sealed copy to sell. I would hold it for a long, long time just for fun...could end up being worth a small fortune. And this is going to be the next huge problem for vinyl fans, I'm afraid. I am a Lego collector and every time they release a popular model, hoarders are pulling all of them out of inventory and putting them up on eBay and Amazon and charging double for them. It's become a real problem for Lego...they hate this. So, they came out with a huge selling set (Women of Nasa), let it run out, and then released hundreds of thousands of them and really killed off the resell market. Smart. No one can say if this was planned, but a whole lot of flippers got burned and I couldn't be happier. The Bridge release seems like an obvious flip title to me; I really hope we don't see that in this industry though I know we've talked about this in regards to RSD. I think RSD titles are getting really risky for resellers lately though.

EDIT: Just ordered another one at SSD as insurance! Wonder how many of he 7500 copies will be sold for that reason?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Right, the MFSL one step is twice as much as other great 45rpm titles, which are really expensive at $55. I do believe it costs a little more to produce than a regular 45rpm record, but not twice as much. The MFSL one step titles are strictly limited which does make the price higher. How do you think MFSL felt when they saw the Santana one step going for $400 a week after the release? Music Direct does supply replacement records and packaging without any argument.

I suppose the answer to your question is they charge twice as much because they can.

Jrr likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Release date?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

August or September.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think, based on the big jumps up in price, that they are trying to find out where the line is. The first good title they put out that doesn't sell, that's when this crazy pricing will stop. This is a really significant jump if you look at the Joel price, which was far more material on more discs. Granted, it was a different process but as you said, geez, how much more can it really cost? So, it has to be enough that it's worth their efforts to do this, but low enough we'll justify the cost. $99 is definitely as far as I would go for one album. I only got the Joel because of the treasure trove of fine material.

10. alexpop

That's some wait.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I'm surmising that the reason for the limited edition is directly related to the one step process so they have to charge more to recoup the licensing fees.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Remember when AP put out Elvis 24Kt hits for $75? So, the jump wasn't as high as we think. I can only imagine a one step of the Elvis title, at 45rpm.

Dmann201 likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Doubt I'd hear a difference. 45 rpm is 45 rpm. Elvis* - 24 Karat Hits!

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

That is a really fast compared to other announced titles from MoFi.

PT

Tullman likes this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, see the Cars. See Dire Straits.

nick99nack and PTgraphics like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not being a big Elvis fan, I didn't pay attention but I see your point. Well, we'll on keep an eye on it. I imaging this one will sell quite well, but I think if a "B" title comes out, or if they cross $99, they are going to have a rough go of it. I just can't see myself paying more than that for one single album, as big a fan of MFSL that I am. I've only crossed $100 twice, and it was for vintage rare MFSL titles (Elton Yellow Brick Road and Supertramp Breakfast, both worth it to me personally), and I've never paid more than $75 for a common title. I want to support them so I really hope they don't keep increasing the price.

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Talk about getting a PR jump! Yes, quite a wait indeed, especially since they seem notorious for going way, way over their schedules anyway. We may not see it until Aug or Sept of 2019!

Tommyboy likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Isn’t the Elvis title 3 discs?

19. Myke

Yes ( click link in my post )

20. Myke

Fine by me. I've got a UK 1st, and the gold Mastersound CD to hold me in the meantime.

21. alexpop

Elvis 24K?
    Can't see it topping the DCC gold cd.

22. alexpop

21 months is a eternity.
    Wish they just informed you a few months before shiping.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think we all have perfectly good copies! And yet I bet most of us are going to spring for this. What is wrong with us?

24. alexpop

Mastersound ?
    Have that one.
    UK:LP as well.

25. alexpop

It's a brilliantly produced album. Guess the appeal is one step 45RPM mastering.

Jrr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.