British films pre-Beatles on DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Can anyone here, possibly our friends in the British Isles, recommend any decent British films from the mid to late 50's up to about 1963 or 1964? DVD preferably. I just have a hankering for 'small' British films before the advent of The Beatles. No offense to them, of course. :) Outside of the Bond films and the 'big' British films like 'Zulu' and 'Lawrence Of Arabia', I have three Cliff Richard films on DVD. I'm looking for stuff more like that but I'm not limiting myself to musicals.

Any recommendations?

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

You might get a few suggestions here.

I'm especially partial to the black comedies made at Ealing Studios with Alec Guinness (The Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Ladykillers, etc). These are a *lot* of fun to watch, and all are available on DVD, either seperately or together as the Alec Guinness Collection box set from Anchor Bay. Very highly recommended!

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

There are so many great films to recommend. It might be helpful if you can be more specific towards a type of genre, etc. Here are some broad (obvious) suggestions:

Alec Guiness Box set (Classic Ealing comedies, a must!)
    The Red Shoes (A beautiful film by Michael Powell, etc.)
    Odd Man Out (with James Mason, about the IRA.)
    The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tom Courtenay & Michael Redgrave, a must!!)
    Brief Encounter (A classic David Lean film)
    Early Hitchcock (39 Steps, A Lady Vanishes, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Sabatoge, Secret Agent, etc.)
    Blithe Spirit (David Lean Comedy with Rex Harrison)
    The Browning Version (a touching school drama with Michael Redgrave)
    Look Back In Anger (Richard Burton, John Osborne "Angery Man" play)
    A Taste Of Honey (Another Classic Play turned into a great film)
    The Magic Box (a film with Robert Donet about the invention of the 1st film camera)
    The Way Ahead (aka Immortal Battalion, US Title) (World War II Film)
    In Which We Serve (Noel Coward/David Lean World War II Classic)
    Dead of Night (Horror Film, in segments/Michael Regrave's segment is "stunning")

This brief list (because there are so many great early British films) should get you started. Please check IMDB to get descriptions, etc.

Todd

4. Hawkman

Well I am happy to say that I have seen a good number of films on this list! I'm very glad to see 'Local Hero' among the Top 50 and that 'Gregory's Girl' also made the list. Very cool.
    It's also occured to me that I have NEVER seen any of the 'Carry On' films so I may as well start with the only one on the list, 'Carry On Up The Khyber'. :)

5. Hawkman

I've seen a number of films that you and Guy have suggested. I'm not sure how to be specific in this sense other than to say 'I'm open' but I really liked films along the lines of 'Local Hero', 'Gregory's Girl' and 'Kipperbang'. 'Small' films that bring a smile to your face and don't tax your brain. Yes, the three I mentioned are from the 80's but I would be looking for films similar to them about 20 years earlier....although given that these three are Brit films from the 80's I wouldn't mind investigating 80's Brit films either! :)

Have I muddied the waters further? :(

6. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Here are a few more -

Hobson's Choice
    I'm All Right Jack
    A Matter of Life & Death
    Canterbury Tales
    The Mouse that Roared
    The Mouse on the Moon
    The Belles of St Trinians

:)

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

It's not available on DVD that I know of--at least not Region 1--but I would also heartily recommend Whisky Galore (UK title: Tight Little Island). One of the funniest movies ever made.

I'm a little surprised that our esteemed Mr. McAlinden hasn't yet joined this discussion. ;)

8. Hawkman

I have the capability to view Region 2 DVDs. I will look that one up! Thanks!

9. Hawkman

I've seen some of these too! I especially like The Belles Of St. Trinians. Alistair Sim is long missed! I shall have to raise a glass to his memory!

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Room at the Top*
    Night and the City
    A Night to Remember*
    Olivier's Shakespeare films of the 40s & 50s* (Henry V, Hamlet, Richard III)
    The Dam Busters (rumored for a DVD for ages, but not released yet. You can at least catch a few clips in "The Wall")
    Tiger Bay*
    50s Hammer films (Horror of Dracula*, Curse of Frankenstein*, Hound of the Baskervilles*, The Mummy*,...)
    The Cruel Sea
    most of the Powell (& often Pressburger) films of the 40s & 50s (on DVD: Edge of the World, Black Narcissus, Contraband [aka Blackout], I Know Where I'm Going, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Peeping Tom, The Red Shoes)
    most David Lean films of the 40s & 50s (on DVD: Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Summertime)
    most Anthony Asquith films of the 30s, 40s & 50s (on DVD: The Importance of Being Earnest, Pygmalion, We Dive at Dawn)
    most Carol Reed films of the 40s & 50s (on DVD: A Kid for Two Farthings, Odd Man Out, The Third Man, The Way Ahead [aka Immortal Battalion])
    Green for Danger

* - On R1 DVD

Regards,

11. xios

xios Senior Member

The Horse's Mouth- on Criterion!
    Genevieve- not on DVD yet
    Beat Girl- Oliver Reed's first film
    The Bridal Path-Excellent use of Scottish locations.

all fun films.

12. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Try an early Carry On movie or two.. a British institution.

13. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

"My Son The Vampire" is the american title of "Old Mother Riley Meets The Vampire", a British horror comedy with Bela Lugosi and some guy who dresses as an old lady. As tupid as this sounds, my kids keep watching it and it actually is pretty funny. The DVD is spotless...

14. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I don't remember...was "I'm Alright, Jack" pre-Beatles?
    I caught it on the Tele several years ago...black and white...and I thought, very funny.
    Actually, I think I saw it with Steve. I don't know...it was a while back.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

We saw it on TV in 1969 at Sharon's house (if you can believe it)!

I think the film came out in 1962, distributed by Columbia. I remember it was released in the states as the "second" feature to a stinker Columbia film called "Cry For Happy" with Glenn Ford.

I don't know how (or why) I remember such useless information...

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

For Christmas time, the VCI DVD of the Alastair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol" using the original camera negative (the British title is "Scrooge" as you can see while the DVD is playing) is essential. There is a DVD with only the Black and White original and also a DVD with the B&W on 1 side, flip it over and it is the colorized version. The DVD I have only has the B&W original. A good thing is that VCI didn't even try to reduce the grain in the negative at all as we know that movies can be ruined with too much of that.

17. Hawkman

The 'flipper' DVD that you mention is from the Roan Group. It also has the "Scrooge" title. Patrick Macnee does a nice intro and there is a Rudolph cartoon afterwards.

Same thing on flip side but for the colorized crap. Obviously that side never gets played on MY DVD player. :)

Wonder why they couldn't give me that choice with "March Of The Wooden Soldiers"? All you get is the colorized garbage. :(

18. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

1959 in Britain, i think. Different for other countries i guess, if released at all. :sigh:

19. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.