Britney Spears- Yay, or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

She reminds me of the cute girls I knew in college.

Marble Index, Grant and Thom like this.
  2. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Sad. It should have been Mandy Moore, who actually did something with her talent.

vivresavie and Thom like this.
  3. Wigwam

Wigwam Active Member

The Scottish band Travis had some fun with a Britney song!

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I heard a Grime/Dubstep version of that 'End of the World' song that I thought was pretty cool and it was one of a handful of Britney remixes that have caught my interest and were officially sanctioned, so it makes me wonder if Britney has any say in selecting the remixers. If so, she can be pretty hip sometimes.

I also think she has been pretty shrewd with her career moves. Since she is really more of an entertainer than a singer, Vegas was kinda the perfect thing to extend her shelf life and not everyone can carry something like that off.

Marble Index likes this.
  5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

... Why can't it be both?

6. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

No, please, make it stop :yikes::faint:

7. The7thStranger

Because I don't feel Britney has worked to earn the status she has. She doesn't deserve it.

8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Wait. 1) Why does anyone have to necessarily "earn" status to deserve it? 2) Would you agree Ms. Spears put in a LOT of work in the studio and on tour/Vegas to make a name for herself? 3) Would you also agree Mandy Moore's lesser known status was "earned" as well by her career decisions?

9. The7thStranger

I think that Britney Spears is a symbol of the general public valuing sex appeal over content. She represents, especially in America, the idea that you don't need talent to be successful, and that we should idolize people for no real reason. Britney hasn't put in an effort into her career since In the Zone. She had a spark, and she knew how to use it, but even before 2007, she wasn't on stage singing live or writing music. She was warbling meaningless songs written by studio songwriters who wanted to make money, and that's what her songs sound like: "Give me money. I like money." What makes me sad is that 10 years later, Spears is still turning out the same material. There's been no progression, no soul searching, no crave for new ground, and that's sad. I think that it's indicative of the fact that she doesn't have the talent or chops to pull it off, that or she doesn't care. In either case, do something else. Honestly, she's not a bad actress. But music is not where her heart or her talent lay. And for that reason, I don't think she's deserving of the status she has. It was handed to her. She's just a lazy, lazy woman with no dimension, and it shows. Why should I praise somebody like that?

Mandy Moore definitely deserves more respect and attention given that she puts in effort and pulls out some quality material with heart behind it. And I'll take that over 10 recycled Britney songs with the same message, same tone, same sound, and same delivery.

Glory is basically the same album as Femme Fatale with a different beauty shot on the cover.

Twangy likes this.
  10. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

(You Drive Me) Crazy (The Stop Remix!)

breaktheiceofmrv and johnaltman like this.
  11. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

12. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

My first CD with Britney was her third, "Britney". If I remember correctly it was "Overprotected" which brought me over. I didn't like her too innocent style in the beginning, back then. I only went back and got those much later on.

Come to this thread though, I listened through some videos and now I really think a tune like "Sometimes" is really sweet and cute and cuddly!

johnaltman and Marble Index like this.
  13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Well, I loved Mandy's 2001 Mandy Moore album. I can't believe it sold so poorly, even if the teen pop boom was slightly fading by mid 2001. "In My Pocket" is a brilliant song and deserved to be more of a hit. And yeah, later on she evolved as an artist. I really liked Coverage and Wild Hope, and Amanda Leigh had its qualities too. But even in 2001, I always told people Mandy had more talent than Britney or, like, Jessica Simpson.

vivresavie and The7thStranger like this.
  14. The7thStranger

I think Mandy was far less willing to play ball. She didn't want the spotlight in that way, at least not as much as Britney. Even Jessica got sick of it after a while. Britney's story is basically "be careful what you wish for."

Thom likes this.
  15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

You've finally put into words what I've been thinking about Gaga all along!

JohnnyQuest and The7thStranger like this.
  16. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

17. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Wow, I really had no idea that Jesse Pinkman actually could sing and play guitar that good!

johnaltman likes this.
  18. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Of course he can, bitch ;)

Marble Index and Wounded Land like this.
  19. The7thStranger

I don't care. You can't choose family.

[​IMG]

20. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

You speak of lack of talent, but do you actually believe Britney Spears cannot sing pop songs proficiently, with a voice that suits the music?
    And I agree that progression in music is good, but I also don't believe a musician necessarily needs to "progress" to be considered a good musician. And in pop music - and especially in EDM where some of her music dwells - it just needs to be danceable, it doesn't need to be deep or meaningful.

Bottom line for me: If an entertaining sells units, however they sell units, they deserve it. And while it sucks that some extremely talented artists and bands find less success than lesser talents, them's the breaks, kid.

Marble Index likes this.
  21. The7thStranger

Yes. I don't think she is all that vocally talented at all. She never sings live, and her albums are highly processed in the studio, so there's no real evidence aside from a few television clips that Britney can do more than simply hold a tune. She's an entertainer, and that's a perfectly fine profession, but I don't see the entertainment value in seeing her be lazy on stage in a sparkly outfit while she lip-syncs and doesn't dance.

I think that if you can't improve on your craft after 15, 20 years, you're in the wrong profession. And the issue is that you're calling it her music, but Britney isn't the one writing the songs, working with the mixing board, playing the synths. She's barely singing on them. She's just the face on the box that sells the candy.

See, two things can be true. Britney Spears's name is attached to some very good pop music: "Showdown," "Me Against the Music," "Toxic," "Unusual You," "Out From Under." So it's not like all of the things released under her name are bad. But it's also true that Britney doesn't deserve credit for it when she doesn't put in the effort. Giving Britney any credit for her music (outside of the few songs she's actually penned) is like giving Homer Simpson the credit for Matt Groening's work.

And you can make mindless pop tunes (or thoughtful pop tunes) that you can dance to. That's why we have albums by Robyn, Ladyhawke, and hell even Selena Gomez's most recent album. But Britney? No. Why is she considered some legendary icon when she hasn't done anything worthy of said title?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    goodiesguy likes this.
  22. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Yay...wait you said Burning Spear, right?

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:eek:

I'm a straight guy more than occasionally believed to be gay due to some of my musical faves - Madonna, Gaga, etc. Seems like people ignore that most of my faves are "straight-leaning" - Bruce, U2, Stones, Beatles, etc. - but I don't care. People gonna think what they wanna think - doesn't matter to me! :)

Marble Index and The7thStranger like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thinking Britney's hot isn't the same as liking her music. Brit has had many male admirers over the years who can't stand her music!

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh he liked the music, too!

I'm only trying to show some of the forum members that you don't have to fit a "profile" to like certain music or artist. I've mentioned before that I know lawyers and doctors who love rap music. There are people who can't believe I listen to both Johnny Cash, Metallica, and Carpenters.

Marble Index likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.