Broadcast on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brudy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kinglewi

kinglewi Forum Resident

You might want to check out Brooklyn-based Lake Ruth - I'm really enjoying their LP release "Actual Entity". see: Lake Ruth »

kl

Neonbeam and Davey like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

I like the descriptions and the review I just scanned so will definitely give a listen when I get the chance later. Lot of good stuff making the rounds this year, thanks for the heads up.

3. Davey

Really good call on the Lake Ruth album @kinglewi, listening now and love it. Thanks again. Curious how you came across this band, not much info around, and only a handful of reviews, though all seem to be very complementary.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Great guys, you make me order records on my way to work, thank you! :righton:

But seriously, limited to 400 copies the vinyl is really cheap, like 15€. Why is an American band only released in the UK???

Davey likes this.
  5. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

BoC box set??

6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I think he means the vinyl reissue bundles.

It's Felix likes this.
  7. Davey

Yea, and if I want to get the vinyl, it costs me $20 minimum + $7 shipping through their bandcamp, which is on the high side. Oh well, works both ways, at least nowadays we all have the opportunity through places like this to find out about some of these cool albums before they are lost to time.

8. Neonbeam

A local dealer had it. It was his very last copy. Will pick it up Monday.

9. Davey

Cool. I was able to find it for $16 at a (not so local) dealer too, but free shipping so no biggie, should have it in a few days.

10. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

Just purchased the Lake Ruth album on Discogs $19+sh. @Davey , your recommendations in the Best New Album of 2016 thread have been outstanding. Shabaka And The Anestors, Presents For Sally/ 93MillionMilesFromTheSun split LP, The Comet Is Coming and now this. 2016 has been a great year. Thanks!

11. Davey

Cool. In case anyone else in the US wants a taste of this great Lake Ruth record, you can get it at Saki in Chicago for $16 with free shipping. They are unfortunately closing the store, so also have a 50% off in-store sale, guess they will still have mail order going for awhile, my order went through anyway... Lake Ruth - Actual Entity [[gps132lp]] »

I love that Presents for Sally split, have you heard their last record yet? It's really good too. Colours & Changes.

12. LibertyKrell

I'll be sure to check it out

13. Neonbeam

Yo, this comment just made three people buy the Lake Ruth vinyl! Cool!

14. Davey

And who knows how many more that haven't bothered to acknowledge it yet. And it doesn't look like the king has been back around since that post to accept our thanks, so who knows what other unknown gems he might have laying around his turntable right now :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  15. Neonbeam

That Early Years album seems interesting too:cheers:

16. Davey

It is really interesting. Coming 10 years after their debut, but they worked through all the hardships and disagreements along the way and came together on what mattered most to all of them, and wound up with a record to really be proud of. Could say this about so many records, and I do say it about a few, but this one should get more attention, it is very good. I've mentioned it a few times here, but here's a good link ... Rock bands of the 2000s and 2010s »

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. LibertyKrell

Seller at Discogs had to cancel my order for Lake Ruth because someone already purchased it. Now ordered from Saki (thanks for the heads up Davey) and decided to pick up the new Julia Jacklin Don't Let The Kids Win LP. Both LPs = $30 out the door

18. Davey

Glad it worked out, hope they actually deliver :)

Haven't heard of Julia Jacklin before, but as long as we are veering way off from Broadcast now, apologies to all for the thread hijack, but I included the new reissue-reissue of Mark Lanegan's Whiskey for the Holy Ghost with my order. SubPop reissued it last year as part of the box, but just last month separately, and I'd been meaning to get one, old favorite that I've never had on vinyl.

19. Neonbeam

"Broadcast On Vinyl":whistle::whistle::whistle:

Incidentally I saw that Mark Lanegan repress too, looked great, gatefold, embossed lettering, double vinyl treatment but I didn't even play the 1993 original I found for 15€ in April. I need to do that. Ideally before buying the next new album:winkgrin:

"Broadcast on vinyl": Wasn't the "new", final album with Trish's last recordings supposed to come out in 2016? Is this project on ice?

20. Davey

I know, but I didn't start it :)

BTW @LibertyKrell, I see that your Julia Jacklin record made the top 10 at 2016 top 200 - resident », right ahead of one of my big favorites in Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation. I guess it's a Brighton UK record store, but interesting list and words.

LibertyKrell likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

View it like that:

1. It turns people on to new music
    2. It makes "Broadcast" visible every time this thread comes up.

Win?
    Win?

:bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance:

22. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Whoops, yes, I just meant the reissues.

It's Felix likes this.
  23. Davey

Yea, I know, it's all good, though some people do get a bit perturbed when we take threads off in a tangent. Probably not any Broadcast fans in that group, though.

So with that said, I'd love to see ideas from others for some great bands and albums that exist in this same timeless space as Broadcast. Obviously we've talked some about Stereolab and Pram above, and I mentioned one of my new favorites in Virginia Wing, and a great recommendation for Lake Ruth followed. Others?

I'm listening to the great Kid Loco A Grand Love Story from 1998 right now, as I've done so many times before. This one has a lot of that same feel, maybe taking more from Love and Gainsbourg, very trippy and pastoral, sweet and seductive, so easy to fall under the spell on a lazy Sunday, and just got a vinyl reissue last year to keep a little more on topic ... Kid Loco "Relaxin with Cherry"

24. Neonbeam

That Lake Ruth album should most definitely receive a wider release on a label like Domino, Mute or 4AD. It's not as weird as Broadcast but it's great, reminds me of the 90's when I was buying records on Kranky or Too Pure.

I also like the fact that it's rather short. I would be surprised if this ran longer than 35 minutes.

Vinyl most likely pressed at GZ, textured sleeve with lyric insert.

Davey likes this.
  25. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I finally caved and listened to the Lake Ruth and then bought from Saki. You guys! :D It's very right up my alley kind of music and I will agree they should be more well known. Very nice.