Broadcast on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brudy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Nice thread, just seeing it for the first time. I'm a longtime Broadcast fan and have a lot of original vinyl. Ha Ha Sound is my favorite album, but they're all good. I always assumed the Berberian soundtrack was the last Trish recordings. It would be great if there were more though, and James is just taking his time on them.
    The Lake Ruth sounds pretty good. Anyone know if the LP comes with a download from Saki? I might spend 4 more dollars and get it from Bandcamp if not.

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Another really nice and relatively unknown band that got influences from some of the same record shops as Broadcast is The Soundcarriers, especially the Celeste record from 2010 ... opener below, this more like early Stereolab, but it's a nice shiny and motorrific ride all the way ...

e.s. and Brudy like this.
  3. Davey

It's the shipping that kills you from bandcamp (see previous page). I haven't received it yet, but I would guess it has the standard bandcamp download card inside. Should probably wait to see if any of us actually get the order from Saki before making a run on it :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

No downloadcard with The Lake Ruth album. GPS albums never have one. I ripped my album to put it on the old ipod ;-)

5. Davey

That's too bad, but thanks for the info. Have you had it for awhile now? What led you to this record, already a fan?

6. 3Dman

Oh yeah, missed that. $7 is pretty high. I might not need the digital that badly.

7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Mine already shipped! So they definitely have them in stock. Bummer about no download, but I'm ok with saving 10 or so bucks vs the band camp page.

Davey likes this.
  8. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

never heard of the band, but I was on the mailing list for the label (great pop supplement) and they put out great stuff, so I took a punt. Got it on the day of release through the label. Really enjoy the album. It is a sort of Broadcast light, for lack of a better term. Or, how a friend of mine described it, happy Portishead. Anyway, great record!

Davey likes this.
  9. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

I received an email from Saki last weekend that one of the items on my order was not in stock. I thought it was going to be the Lake Ruth, but it was the Julia Jacklin. My Lake Ruth shipped from Saki today with USPS tracking number.

10. Davey

Off topic again, I know, but just wanted to follow up and say this Julia Jacklin Don't Let the Kids Win debut record is crazy good, had no idea who she was when @LibertyKrell made mention above, but have since seen her come up in a few best of the year lists, including a couple around here, so couldn't ignore it any longer. I can think of a bunch of people around here who I think would love this, including @Sprocket Henry and @rob68 among others. Great country-folk type stuff from this new Australian singer-songwriter...

Now living in a garage in Glebe and working a day job on a factory production line making essential oils, the 25-year old found time to hone her craft – to examine her turns of phrase, to observe the stretching of her friendship circles, to wonder who she was and who she might become. That document is Jacklin’s masterful debut album, Don’t Let The Kids Win - an intimate examination of a life still being lived.

Recorded at New Zealand’s Sitting Room studios with Ben Edwards (Marlon Williams, Aldous Harding, Nadia Reid), Don’t Let The Kids Win courses with the aching current of alt-country and indie-folk, augmented by Jacklin’s undeniable calling cards: her rich, distinctive voice, and her playful, observational wit.

Julia Jacklin | About »

LibertyKrell and Sprocket Henry like this.
  11. 3Dman

I haven't listened to it in a while, and it's a cassette, but "Uncolored Past (Parts I & II) by Tara King th. Was reminiscent of Broadcast. I haven't heard anything else by them though.

It might be a stretch, but it'd be neat to have Microtronics Vol. 1 & 2 on vinyl. They'd fit neatly on one LP.

12. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll second The Soundcarriers. Really great stuff.

Davey likes this.
  13. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that James said in a Shindig interview some time ago that he was working on a final Broadcast album using remaining demo recordings. Unsurprising it's taking a while, really. Presumably there'll be more Children of Alice stuff, too, at some point.

14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Got mine from Saki today and it did come with a download code. Bonus!

Davey likes this.
  15. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Yeah, she's brilliant. I saw her play a small gig at a local pub a few months back and it was excellent. Amidst all the great music this year, where one great record's tumbled after the other I've had the tendency to lose track of records which landed prior to mid-year. Time to drift back. :)

Davey likes this.
  16. Davey

Yea, the bandcamp download was 24/96 too and sounds pretty nice. Just got an email today with invite to download the new single, which opens the Violet "Dreampop" compilation just put out by The Blog That Celebrates Itself Records. Pretty cool little song called "Empty Morning", you can download the whole comp or just a song for name your price at ... VA - Colors Compilations - Violet "Dreampop", by The Blog That Celebrates Itself Records » ... I got the FLAC in 24-bit/48K.

[​IMG]

BeardedSteven likes this.
  17. clarknovember

clarknovember Well-Known Member

We're excited to announce the debut album from Children Of Alice, a collaborative triad consisting of Broadcast’s James Cargill, Roj Stevens (ex Broadcast) and Julian House (Ghost Box Records, The Focus Group).

Children of Alice have been quietly producing soundscapes as part of the Folklore Tapes collective for a number of years now, beginning in 2013 with Harbinger of Spring on the shared Ornithology release. The name Children of Alice was chosen as an act of tribute to the late Trish Keenan, for whom Alice in Wonderland and in particular Jonathan Miller’s adaptation, was a presiding inspiration.

This self-titled album, released on 24 February, brings together their entire output to date, on their first widely available release.

WARP | News | Debut album released on 24 February »

Mugrug12, Davey, drasil and 1 other person like this.
  18. Davey

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Woah, just returned from a VW gig (or rather "performance"?) in a real small Berlin club in front of 20, 25 people. They took it to the stage, set up and simply started playing. Two silhouettes because the only light was a real bright light directed at the audience. There were no breaks between songs, no announcements ("This is a song from our first album!" or "Ullo Berlin!") and consequently no applause. After 50 minutes they simply left. And started selling their merch. Finally there was applause but no encore. Everything I always found secretly annoying about concerts simply didn't happen. Which was fantastic. But the whole event was also truly bizarre.

Of course I bought "Forward Constant Motion" there because somehow I missed it last year. Going to play it now. Absolutely no idea what to expect.

20. Davey

That does sound a bit bizarre, I've read some good stories about them, and the struggles to get the record out, hard for most bands now, just not much money in it, but they seem like good people. Coincidentally, I was just listening to that record last night and this morning, still love it and listen all the time. I especially like the second half these days, beginning with "Adalucia" and going through "Hammer and Nail", or to the end, I think it flows pretty well. BTW, the Rhonda EP from early last year is pretty great too, at least the first two thirds of it is anyway, love Rhonda and Sisterly Love, always skip the last song, can't even remember the name now, but that EP signaled the change in direction for the band.

Another big favorite I just recently discovered but have become pretty much addicted to lately is the new one from Coldharbourstores called Wilderness, London band you'd probably like, the singer Lucy Castro is really good, and I love the music too, production by Graham Sutton of Bark Psychosis. Cool record, or digital in my case, though about to order the vinyl, nice looking cover, some of the same colors as the Virginia Wing record. I'm sure you can easily find a few other posts around here with samples and more words if interested (and probably more to come :)).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    CrombyMouse and Neonbeam like this.
  21. Neonbeam

It's funny because the album sounds nothing like the performance, I'm surprised how accessible and Broadcast-ish it is. Kicking myself for not having bought the debut on split coloured wax (15€) and the "Rhonda" ep (8€) from the band last night. But I've just ordered the former and the "Red Sails" 7" from a local store.

Shame that there weren't more people present last night. I mean, it was a Tuesday night but this is Berlin. Any. Way. I love stuff like that. Reading about a concert in the morning, walking there in the evening, buying the album from the band. It just doesn't happen too often anymore in the current climate of pre-sales and flipping on thE bay. A real shame.

And all this during a period where I just told a friend that at the moment I'm perfectly happy immersing myself in Bowie and my record collection instead of getting new stuff:righton:

22. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Just bought the reissue of Work and Not Work and it's magnificently silent.
    Really impressed.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Yeah, these reissues are actually pretty well done. Still I was hoping that finally originals would show up for a reasonable price but.... I found Stereolabs "Transient Noise" on gold vinyl but not a single Broadcast album. Yet.

24. kinglewi

kinglewi Forum Resident

A shame, that link seems to be disabled, would have loved to have heard that Black Session.
    ----
    Hey! I'm still around (!) and pleasantly surprised to see the response here to Lake Ruth! No, I'm not at all affiliated with the band - but it's great that other people were as impressed as I was/am and went and picked up a copy while it still can be had - they deserve to be heard. The new "singles" on their bandcamp site seem just as strong. (Their stuff always makes me think of Broadcast's Book Lovers/Work Non-work era).

I would also second (or third) the recommendation for The Soundcarriers - I believe the vinyl for " Entropicalia" (on Ghost Box) has been recently re-issued.

(Davy, you certainly have turned me onto a few good things - Riley Walker "Golden Sings that have been Sung - to name one, so it's good to return the favor.)

kl

Davey likes this.
  25. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

A new track from Supervitesse. Some Broadcast vibes going around.

Go Woman