Brubeck's "Time Out", why no mono mix on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

For such a historic and popular jazz record I'm puzzled as to why the mono mix was never released on CD.
    Thanks to Columbia we now have the great Miles Davis mono box, so why not Dave Brubeck?

andrewskyDE, Joshua277456 and DLant like this.
  2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

As you probably know, the "Kind of Blue" mono tape is lost, so the new mono release was remixed from the 3-track tape, in order to complete the Miles mono box with the most popular Miles album. Maybe it's the same situation for Time Out, recorded the same year.

A new mono mix does not have the same appeal as the original mono mix, even if it is made to sound as close as possible (taking mono LPs as a reference)

rxcory likes this.
  3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Great idea. I have needledrops of all of Brubeck's "Time" series in mono, and they sound great.

And while they're at it, they should also re-release the singles in mono. The mono single of "Take Five" is not only a different edit, but also a different mix, with thunderous bass at the beginning.

Rich C and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Great question. I would love to see a mono CD done right, like the Miles Davis reissues.

The only mono Time Out CD I have seen is the following European public domain release. As I recall, it was said here to be a needledrop, and like many of these public domain releases, is to be avoided.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Out-Stereo-Dave-Brubeck/dp/B00BW73I9K/

[​IMG]

Note the review on amazon.com. She sounds like a member here. :)

RelayerNJ likes this.
  5. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yes, that mono CD is rubbish. Poor needledrop. I bought it and sent it back.

Imho that review is spot on.

Joshua277456 and crispi like this.
  6. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

On the legalistic side, since the official columbia cd is only stereo, and the release is mono+stereo, could they lift the mono from a LP source and the stereo from a CD instead of a LP? Don't know if Columbia or what else can copyright a mastering... just to understand better these kind of things.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, they can do that, and most public domain CD reissues are simply copied from the official CD reissues. The public domain LP reissues are also mastered from CD most of the time, even when a higher resolution source (SACD, download) exists.

A new mastering does not get new copyright protection. Even a new remix (for example the Mark Wilder digital re-creation of the Bitches Brew mix by Teo Macero) would probably not count as a new work and would fall into the public domain at the same time as the original mix.

bleachershane likes this.
  8. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think it's a different performance.

Royce, crispi and g.z. like this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It is indeed. And frankly, I prefer it to the one that was on the LP.

Was there any attempt to do a stereo mix of this different version?

Jae and Royce like this.
  11. crispi

It is?? I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. I did notice that the take itself sounds flawless, but I took it to be just an overly excellent edit. If they recorded a shorter take it means that a single release was in planning all along?

Did it ever make it onto a CD? I mean, the single take is the take that became a big hit, and not the LP take.

12. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

if memory serves, the actual single version of "take five" made it onto the compilation cd "best of ken burns' jazz" or whatever it was called.

that's what i seem to recall, sitting here at work...

smitquest

13. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I saw that a few months ago, suspected it to be what it is - and left it. Not really a shame at all then! My Legacy CD is a nice upgrade of the 70s twofer LP I first had (and still have) - the one 'twinned' with Time Further Out.

I'd love to own a mono CD of this. :love: :agree:

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have a pretty beat up mono vinyl Time Out. I wouldn't mind at all if properly mastered mono CD came out.

15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I found a reasonably priced decent quality original Columbia CL 1397 '6 eye' mono pressing on eBay a few years ago. Good enough for me. I'm curious, however, about the mono single version.

16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think that's correct.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It is also available on the Best of Ken Burns Jazz as mentioned and on the Jazz Masterpieces Soundtrack of a century comp.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In high school I was in jazz band and the sax player played Desmond's LP solo note for note every time we played "Take Five," so I have it memorized and noticed the single has a different solo (although with some of the same ideas).

crispi likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To be clear, is the "single edit" that folks are referring to in mono and a different recording than the stereo version or simply an edit of the standard stereo version? Some posts state "single edit" without mentioning stereo or mono.

22. Bob Lovely

The Mono single version is a different and shorter recording than the Stereo LP mix. The single was popular in 1961, two years after the album was released in 1959.

Bob

andrewskyDE and crispi like this.
  23. crispi

I suppose they were recorded at the same time? I haven't found the short take mentioned in any discography.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I bought the mono/stereo public domain disc purely for the mono mix, and replaced the "stereo" disc with the official Columbia CD.

25. Bob Lovely

I do not know the recording session date for the single version. Only that it was recorded 1959, released as a single in 1959 and re-released as a single in 1961 when it became a hit, largely via juke box play.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    crispi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.