Bruce Cockburn in Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dcscott, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy Thread Starter

When to see Bruce on Wed. night in Brantford, Ontario and what a night is was. He played for 2 1/2 hours and the sound was impecable. He played a 8 min. guitar solo that rivals anything played by Robert Fripp or Richard Thompson. He played a good mix of old and new and played Burn for the first time in over a decade. Do yourself a favour and go see this Canadian icon. BTW, his new CD is awesome.

2. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Thanks for the thoughts on Bruce. I'm just waiting for him to make his way to Pittsburgh...

Chris

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Cockburn

I like him a lot. I have seen him twice. The first time was many years ago and the second was two years ago as part of a land mine benefit with Mary Chapin Carpenter, John Jennings, Steve Earle, Patty Griffin and Emmylou Harris. I got to meet him after the show and had a photo taken with him. He seems like a regular stand up guy; funny and very talented. I would certainly go see him again; expecially after such a glowing review.
    Thanks!
    Best-
    Norm

4. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Another Bruce fan, wonderful!

My favorite show was in Windsor, Ont., around the Dart to the Heart period, but one in Toronto supporting The Charity of Night was also outstanding.

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, Bruce does a really fine live show. I've seen him a few times and he never disappoints. I was in Peterborough about 10 years ago for a conference and just happened to be out for a walk in the evening. In the distance you could here a familiar voice and it was Bruce doing a free concert in a park. He was giving a nasty look to someone about 20 feet from the stage who was videotaping the show.

The first time I ran into him - literally - was in a bookshop in Toronto. I was looking at some books on a bottom shelf and when I stood up I just about knocked him over.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would love to see cockburn live. i couldn't tell you the last time he came to cleveland.

and yes, the new album is outstanding.

renny

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Unfortunately the new album has been maximized. I haven't really listened yet, but I took a quick look at the first track in Cool Edit, and while there are no "clipped samples" according to the stats, it sure is a flat topped waveform. Sigh.

If you don't already know of them, here are a few good Bruce sites.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/humans-list/ - the migrated Humans mailing list

http://www.seanet.com/~danjer/ - home of the "Gavin's Woodpile" newsletter

8. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Yes, I noticed the maximizing from the very first track. The same team that compressed the heck out of AAA does the same thing here. Why?? I don't think it's going to help Bruce get airplay, much as he deserves it. Thank goodness the remasters are being done elsewhere!

I love the whole sequence on this album between Trickle Down and Celestial Horses - one magical song after another. I've seen him about a half dozen times, solo and with band, all wonderful. My favorite was probably with the full band on the World of Wonders tour, but the tours after Nothing But a Burning Light and Breakfast in New Orleans were awesome as well.

- Joe

9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Bruce is great live and a tremendous guitar player. Besides seeing him at Massey Hall, I also saw him sitting at a table in a bar in Toronto in the 80's, where we both took in a Leroy Sibbles (singer with The Heptones, a Jamaican reggae band) show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.