Bruce Springsteen archive release Nassau 12/31/80

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I had a show like this during the "other band" tour in Chapel Hill, NC. He came back and did Workin on the Highway with the place 2/3 empty and the house lights on. A fun end and a good memory from a tour I don't have much of a warm spot for.

2. Red

Red Forum Resident

I bought and downloaded the 16 bit flac version and listening to it right now. Anyone hear any bass?

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They have 30 shows ready to go. A new show every couple months for next couple years sounds about right.

This throws the River boxset a curveball. Though the BTR box didn't have the Philly audio for reasons I will never fathom.

Longest show of the pre-reunion era and longest show with an intermission.

On the Fallon show Bruce said he lost his voice for 10 days when resting at home after the Euro shows in 2012

4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I agree. I caught two shows during the arena leg during the LA stand (10/25 & 11/2/84) as well as the LA Coliseum 9/30/85 show and I thought the LA Sports Arena shows were far better, even ignoring the fact the arena shows were far more intimate sitting halfway back just off the floor both shows and having a far right 1st row floor seat at the Coliseum show (which absolutely blew out my hearing in my right ear).

5. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

He did this at a number of shows including one that I was at in Tinley Park, IL during the summer of 1992. This was pre-internet (for the most part) so it was a surprise to everyone and pretty cool if you got to see it. Not that "Working" is a classic by any means but it was cool enough at the time...

Now everyone would be waiting after the last song mentioning to their neighbor that they read on the internet that he comes out "unannounced" after the show is over to play one more song...

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I just remember that the LA run in late October is pretty good. Don't usually listen to thoose years because I have a hard time with the sound

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Seriously, I never thought I'd live to see the day when Bruce would crack open the vaults like this (even for stuff that already circulates). Next thing you know, Van "Bite Me, Fans" Morrison will decide to reissue all his old albums.

8. SoundAdvice

It's believed that Bruce signed a new Sony deal. He apparently owns all songs/masters and did a 10 year deal in 2005.

9. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I was at that show in Tinley Park as well! Loved it when he came back out as the roadies were dismantling things.

10. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Doesn't sound like it, and doesn't look like it. The DR comes in at 10.6 avg -- on the 24/192.

budwhite and hodgo like this.
  11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Don't forget, he also played a 30-minute acoustic solo set before the regular show began, so he really played for about 4 and a half hours in Helsinki.

12. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Samples aren't impressing me like the 3 previous shows did. Can anyone comment on the actual sound of the files? Drums sound muted to me and I could be misremembering, but the bootleg sounded better?

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Best one yet. Listening on phones now.

14. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Sound or performance wise?

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Both. Not audiophile mind you, but goose-bump evoking.

Adam9 and uncle like this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Me too:)

Bruce likes this.
  17. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Cool, thanks!

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thirteen bucks. I would have killed for this in the 80s!

19. misko

misko Forum Resident

It's great to see artists like Springsteen and The Rolling Stones offering fans what they really want. May this trend continue.

qtrules, daveidmarx and uncle like this.
  20. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

The latest from a pretty good source is that the River box is back up on a front burner, and that a DVD of the professionally filmed Tempe show is in their sights as live material for the set.

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Sounds a million times better than the boot, if anyone is looking for the short answer, but it doesn't approach the sound of Merry Christmas, Baby or Rendezvous on Tracks. Not as crisp. Odd.

Aside from being legendary shows, Agora/Tower/Nassau also share moments where Bruce totally forgets lyrics - Sherry Darling/Night/Prove It All Night.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I would've killed for it in the 90s and 00s, too! :D

Bill likes this.
  23. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

This is a silly thing to be impressed by, but I love the album art for these releases - particularly how each cover's font is the same one used on the album that is on tour. This one uses the font from the River, the 78 show uses the 'typewriter' font from Darkness, the Tower show uses the BTR font, the 2012 show uses the Wrecking Ball font...

Typography geek. :cool:

24. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

F*** YEAH!

25. SoundAdvice

They are both off to a good start. Hope All Stones stuff makes it to a physical release and would love the Springsteen's in surround sound(one way to combat complaints about shows that have circulated for decades).

paulbright81 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.