Bruce Springsteen archive release Nassau 12/31/80

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You must be getting bad sex! :D

2. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I posted this before, but I just wanted to make sure anyone who cares realizes that You Can Look will fit on Disc 2. The song stops a full minute before the track stops. Just fade out 25 seconds of crowd noise and it fits.

budwhite likes this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I've been in the grateful dead land the past few months and their archive shows from 10 years earlier sounds waaaay better man. They broke the mould

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

They're the Gold Star for this sort of thing.

drumzNspace likes this.
  5. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I can think of one good reason for releasing it on Blu-Ray - the sound quality is much better than on DVD.

bobcat likes this.
  6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I know there a small faction here that are opposed to anything in the Scientific/Data realm, but hoping someone will post a waveform for a track, Badlands for example. So I can get an idea of Dynamic Compression used. That way I know if even worth it for me personally to purchase when I already have the decent boots of the show. Please note Dynamics to me have the same of importance as clarity and I feel that regardless if plangent was it used it can still be ruined to my ears later on during the mastering process.

7. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I may be in the minority here, but how is that easily done?

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Can't you burn 81 minutes of music on to an 80 min CD? Used to be possible.

Also, any good artwork around for these releases?

9. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Depends on what burning program you use. I use Nero - change the ending time of the track and fade it out.

redsock likes this.
  10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

You can overburn it, yes.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

I started my listening with 'disc two' and really enjoyed it. I was pleased with the sound of it through my home speakers. I 'felt' like I was 'almost' simultaneously in the audience at the concert that night and also hearing a superior sounding and mixed soundboard tape. Not necessarily a supremely professionally multi-track mix or sonic fidelity that would rival a few days or weeks of work in a big studio, but...it's a concert. That's been my experience hearing it so far. I'm pleased with it. There's sort of the sound of a 'flat thwack' in Max's snare drum (Independence Day, etc) that isn't ideal, but other than that, for me, the drums sound pretty good and I like how the lead vocals and the instruments all sound together. In some of these first three releases, I feel like Gary Tallent's bass playing has really been well represented and I like that. The sound often not too juiced or heavy or heart pounding, but just right, to my ears.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Or the music is THAT GOOD. :D

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

So much fun when people get all wound up applying 2015 standards to a 1980 on-the-fly soundboard recording. God almighty, sit back and enjoy the show.

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

That final disc, with all of the encores, was absolutely electrifying.
    Took the LOOOOOONG way home!

15. moops

moops Senior Member

Not opposed to the Scientific/Data realm as long as it takes a backseat to the Listen/Decide realm.
    Still a big fan of those lumps of tissue on the sides of our head.
    Though I am kind of surprised that we're six pages in without a waveform ......... :eek:

16. DVD-Video supports PCM stereo up to 24bit/96kHz. Apart from 24bit/192kHz, you can't get better stereo sound in the digital domain than that.

17. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

You mean like this???
    [​IMG]

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Correct and Agreed, but what you state for audio on a DVD is only possible if there is no video presentation.

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I already have the material on multiple boots and have heard the show several dozen times during the past 21 years so I'd rather save my money - especially since I'd go for the Hi-Res Download. A waveform won't tell me I will like what I hear but from a Dynamics standpoint will tell me if I won't like it.

And yea I hoping someone will post a waveform....Or if not a 1 minute sample say from Badlands.

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Yes ! Exactly like that ! :agree:

21. moops

moops Senior Member

Cool ..... nothing wrong with the try before you buy option. :thumbsup:

22. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Really nice artwork on page 5 of this thread but wish You Can Look was on disc 2. As long as I'm wishing I'd also like a version for a standard 2 disc jewel box - I tuck the third disc in the front artwork and it closes fine.

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw, Volume fluctuations seem to occur between songs and Bruce's voice is mixed very forward on the quieter songs like Racing. It sounds like a combination of mixes. I would be surprised if they were all done at once as is what appears to be the word. Badlands and some of the other rockers I had to turn the volume up for as they seem to be more equally balanced mixes. A few other songs with harmonica and louder mixed vocals - The River - I turned the volume down.
    Re: Badlands I felt it sounded good to my ears. The intro sounded moderately quiet and introspective and the full band kicking in sounded aggressive and moderately louder. If not entirely dynamically significant to my ears, it's a noticeable and musically effective transition. Good sounding Badlands, as I hear it. The loudness and tone of the guitar and sax solos don't hurt my ears and sound within the whole rather than apart from or above it.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Newly mixed from multitracks

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I hesitate to comment on the sound quality because Bruce releasing these concert recordings is - sort of - a dream coming true but I cannot hide I'm a bit disappointed they don't sound brilliant like his official Columbia/Sony releases. Like to Sandy on the '75-'85 box or Rendevouz from Tracks. And now these complete concerts have been released, I don't think they wil ever be released with post production or the necessary overdubs.
    Maybe Sony is keeping the best recordings for future (physical) releases? For example the Roxy '78?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.