Bruce Springsteen archive release Nassau 12/31/80

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Many Greatful dead 70s archive shows that is only 2 track stereo sounds way better than Philly and Nassau which is from multitracks

2. budwhite

The 24-track master tapes, recorded live in the Record Plant Remote truck, were newly mixed by Toby Scott in March of 2015 after being meticulously transferred and restored via the Plangent Process and mastered at Gateway Sound.

If this is the best we will get soundwise, well - I'm not sure I want to pay for any more shows

drwinstonoboogie and rbbert like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Thank you for your kind words. I like You Can Look kicking off disc three. Both 'In The Midnight Hour' and 'Nassau Night' (the two boots I had of this show) led discs off with the song, so I'm used to hearing it as a disc starter. Besides, Bruce's comment "we got less than ten minutes to go", to me is a good start to the final stretch of the show. If you want You Can Look to close disc two, nobody's stopping you! :)

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Really? You wish there were overdubs?
    The fact that this is what was played, warts and all, is what makes it so compelling to me. The beauty of Bruce's concerts in those days is that they were much more spontaneous than the post-Born in the USA computerized stadium shows were.
    You want overdubs and perfection? Play the lifeless live box set. This sucker actually breathes.

5. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes I actually prefer the sound on the live box set. 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) on the box has a proper piano part, overdubbed? I don't know. The track doesn't sound lifeless or less spontaneous to me. More detail for the musicianship IMO. The new version is has a more raw sound like you're at the concert.
    I remember the Bowie Nassau concert from 1976 that came out on EMI a few years ago. I prefer the mix of the three tracks that were previously released on Ryko and Mainman.

6. Wishing for overdubs? Wow.

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking...........

8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I agree with this review:

" I don’t love Roy Bittan’s piano sound on this – the playing is wonderful, but the tone resembles a saloon piano more than a grand (I don’t know what he’s actually playing.)"

http://mossislandsounds.com/2015/03...-e-street-band-nassau-coliseum-new-york-1980/

I just happen to like the version on the box better: with fixed piano part. If it's not an overdub but just the mix: why mix the piano like this?

Billy Infinity, Bill and Adam9 like this.
  9. budwhite

Nope, I just feel that more could be done from the source. If you bother with recording 24 track, one would think that you can get better result than this, no?

Billy Infinity and INSW like this.
  10. ammoj2

ammoj2 Forum Resident

There are a lot of misconceptions about the piano sound on this release. It's not because the piano was out of tune. (It may have been very slightly, but it's almost imperceptible.)

The real reason the piano sounds this way is because it wasn't mic'd up like it traditionally was with actual microphones. On The River tour, Bruce's sound guys decided to install two Piezo style pickups on the piano. The tinny sound we hear is the sound picked up by these pickups, not the natural piano sound. I assume they did this to avoid having to mic up the piano every night and have more control at the desk. Listen to any show from The River tour and the piano sounds like this.

EDIT: This is what they used.

JL6161 likes this.
  11. budwhite

Ok, but the piano sounds fine on most other shows on the river tour

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Agreed. As an online downloading project, I think the shows are very good, if overpriced. I would think a one time fee of $50 for the site is probably more reasonable.

If these were in the stores, with these mixes, at $30, like Dylan's or the Dead's . . no way.

13. ammoj2

ammoj2 Forum Resident

I'd say the entire tour has the same slightly wonky piano sound. Listen to MSG '80, Toronto '81, Seattle '80 or any of the Uniondale shows. It's more pronounced on this because we're finally hearing it from a good source.

Here's Incident on 57th Street released as the B side of Fire in 1987, recorded at the Nassau Coliseum on December 29, 1980.

14. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Here's a "duh?" question: Is there any download-able artwork from the Bruce live site for this Nassau release? If so, how do I access it?

I've downloaded all the tracks and see no button/page for the artwork. Perhaps it's hidden in plain site...

15. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I don't hear the wonky piano on this track:

Additional recorded (overdub) at Hit Factory/Record Plant or Right Track Recording in 1985?

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is a great version of Incident.

supernaut likes this.
  18. ammoj2

ammoj2 Forum Resident

Very possible.

19. budwhite

It's even better on the bootleg when it goes seamless into Rosalita. Last time ever before he played the full Wild&Innocent album back in 2009

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I'm starting to think that vocals aside, Live 75-85 is close to completely overdubbed.

21. budwhite

I guess you're right. How else can Sandy sound so different?

22. BobbyJean

BobbyJean Well-Known Member

the piano was out of tune when they played this show. people on BTX say Bittan himself has confirmed that a few years ago.

(on a side note i have ~40 bootlegs from the River tour i disagree with the people who say the piano sounded that way the entire tour)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The piano is so obviously out of tune at this show I don't understand why there is even any question about it. It sounds fine on other shows of the tour.

24. I've got Neil Young's Greatest Hits from 2004 on DVD-Video (not DVD-Audio) which has a 24bit/96kHz LPCM track. All tracks come with a moving picture of a video of a vinyl record being played. Surly, that's a video presentation. Having said that, it's only 38 min 49 sec long. Maybe that's why it fits onto one DVD-Video disc.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  25. budwhite

Back to the show for a minute.

Bruce is in fine voice indeed. I prefer his vocals from 1980-88 to anything before or after.
    Steven's "Keith Richard's exile on main street" backup singing blends together so well with Bruce's voice. This and his 12 stringed acosutic guitar is some major deal to why I love the river tour so much

kevywevy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.