Bruce Springsteen BORN TO RUN, final comparison of 3 CBS/Columbia CD versions by SH..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Patience and Matrix's are the key.

not as bad as the 30th remaster or the mini-lp's ,but it's simply not good.

monoboy likes this.
  2. monoboy

monoboy Active Member

What mastering do I have?

Attached Files:

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Update: inserting pre-emphasis flags in the CUE sheet worked fine for playback on the OPPO. Anyone using this machine with BORN TO RUN mastering #1 should be sure they're using a burned copy of their original disc with the flags set in the TOC. Otherwise, too bright!

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

On Oppo's that is also needed for many Black Triangle CD's including the "Famous" Abbey Road and Dark Side Of The Moon.

For instruction on how to add the flag using EAC, see this post> http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...d-versions-by-sh.271934/page-17#post-10097085

Gardo likes this.
  5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Definitely not #2. That is from the re-issue era post 2000 IIRC. Probably #3 but only way you will know is to get the peak info from EAC.

If you are on Windows obtain and install EAC.

To get the peaks:
    press "ctrl" and "a" at the same time to select all (or go to edit -> select all) all tracks will be highlighted, then press the "F8" key. when done choose save log, then post only the contents of lines that contain "Peak level".

monoboy likes this.
  6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I guess I have been very lucky. The last 3 times I have looked for this CD, each one has been mastering #2.

7. monoboy

monoboy Active Member

Just found the second mastering. DIDP 50021. Made in the USA with the upside down triangle on right side.

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Um, you need more than that for the 2nd mastering.

9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You need to at least check the time of the disc in EAC to confirm that you have a 2nd pressing. There are a few versions of the 3rd master that have that same "Made in the USA", the upside down triangle, and CBS -- I came across one this weekend.

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

so if I have one of these matrix numbers am I sure to have mastering #2? I have the first one on the list with just the 21 at the end and also the 7th one on the list with 31A1.
    I read the "cautionary tale" (post 326) above so now I am wondering if it could be that I have the right matrix but still the wrong mastering. I don't have EAC and when I went to download it put allot of other stuff on my computer which now I am having to take off (I am not so tech savvy) so I am not too crazy about trying to re-install this program.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Be careful which download button you click on. I don't remember how to tell but there is one link that skips the junk.

Check the total time ftom player or PC.

The tray card for my #2 mastering is the only one I have seen with CBS printed on the spine. That's not definitive as the matrix codes and EAC but it may help when searching for the CD. Look back at the photos I posted.

floyd likes this.
  12. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks Beattles,
    The two I mention above have the CBS on the spine both say Japan Tokyo on the tray card but do not have the "Now made in the USA". I have another one that has matrix DIDP 50021 21B14 and has the "Now Made in the USA" blurb and no CBS on the spine I am guessing that may be a #3.

I also have a 35DP -21 41A7 I will have to compare and see what difference I hear.

13. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

All of the tray cards say Tokyo, Japan with the "Now Made...USA" or not on the side of the tray back. The disc itself should say USA. Check the playing time for confirmation.​

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

You are set then, no need to delve any deeper.

floyd likes this.
  15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Does anybody know what mastering the matrix "35DP-21 41A7 ++++" is?

PS: I don't have the CD, so no peak levels available.

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm guessing it's mastering #1, except mine has 5 "+", not 4.

17. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Picked up # 1 today. Very nice sounding and quiet. Bruce's voice more like my original vinyl. Apparently Bruce's CDs without bar codes are becoming quite collectible.

18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Are you sure you don't mean #2 ? That is the mastering sought after in this thread.

I can't imagine it sounding like the vinyl unless that sounds like poo too. :)

Not a great sounding recording.

19. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Well don't forget that Steve said the #1 mastering sounded very good -- just that #2 sounded slightly better.

ricks likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

To be fair, richarm said Bruce's voice was similar to that on the original LP.

21. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Yahoo! I never have any luck finding forum favorite stuff at the local CD shop but today was different. I peaked in for a quick minute or two after having breakfast with the family at the local diner and there was a copy of Born To Run mastering #2 (Made in USA by Digital Audio Corp Matrix: DIDP 50021 21). 6 bucks and in a smooth sided case as well. The disc wasn't mint but a strong VG+/Ex- and rips perfectly. EAC peak numbers and total disc time confirmed, it's mastering #2.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    mmars982 and ricks like this.
  22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Congratulations! I found mine last winter--well worth the search. Enjoy.

23. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

My DIDP 50021 21A2 has mastering #2. I wonder how common the 21A2 variant with mastering #3 is.

24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

o_O

25. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

???