Bruce Springsteen BORN TO RUN, final comparison of 3 CBS/Columbia CD versions by SH..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I'm not sure I agree that the title track sounds better than the other tracks, but at least this helps answer my earlier question as to why it sounds different from the other tracks.

I'm warming up more and more to CD mastering #2. While listening to it, I just keep repeating to myself over and over again: "This is what the original album sounds like. This is what the original album sounds like ..."

macuzr likes this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Here's another one for Mastering #2: Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp. Matrix: DIDP 50021 21A1 :tiphat:

3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Let me add one too

Mastering #1
    -Japan-for-U.S. pressing with catalog number CK 33795, Matrix 35DP-21 11A7
    "CSR COMPACT DISC" three times around the hub.

4. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Just trying to find out what I have. Here's the matrix on the "Made In Japan" for US version I have : Matrix is CK – 33795 – V1 E 14

Note the 4 in 14 might be an A. Can't really tell. I'm assuming it's a number and not a letter. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Sounds like a made-by-JVC oddball, similar to mine. See post here plus the dozen or so that follow that one.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  6. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Yep...that's the one. Thanks for the link and help on this. Sounds good to my ears.

MLutthans likes this.
  7. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

I've got CK-33795-V1E11 it appears.. made in Japan. Any clue? I have been hunting!!

8. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

FINALLY!!! Stumbled across a Mastering #2 in the used bins for $4

Matrix: DIDP 50021 31A8
    EAC levels: 73.4, 89.4, 69.8, 72.1, 66.7, 61.0, 58.2, 74.5

[​IMG]

Texado, Grant, Robert C and 6 others like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

MedozK likes this.
  10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Congrats! Enjoy!

MedozK likes this.
  11. Couldn't believe what I found for $4.99! It DOES sound nice!!!

(Right next to a CSR "Darkness on the Edge of Town" DIDP-20027 21A3 +++++
    And a DADC "the Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle DIDP-20094 11A1 )

rxcory and MedozK like this.
  12. (Oops! Didn't realize my picture didn't show up.)

It would have shown my "Made in USA by Digital Audio Corp Matrix: DIDP 50021 21A1" disc - - one to add to the Mastering #2 variants?

13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Hey all,

Found a cheap early CD press the other day and decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, this one is the most common early pressing that seems to be out there and is the one I wound up with. The EAC peak levels match this post (in bold). It is VERY bright. Is it confirmed that this disc does not have pre-emphasis? Kind of sounds like it does...there's a lot of trebly hiss at the beginning of "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" and the horns sound like kazoos...

14. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I can confirm that that mastering (#3) does not have pre-emphasis.

15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Thank you. Having listened to it fully on my normal headphones it doesn't sound too bad. I was checking it out using cheap earbuds at first, which probably made the treble sound more jacked up.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey, @Steve Hoffman, I just dropped in to let you know I found my CBS copy of "Born To Run". I found it in an old box of junk I took out of an old car I had. I totally forgot I had it. Sounds nice.

It does not have that little triangle on the CD label, though.

17. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Found one of these today, $6.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just found one in a $5 bin with "Made in the USA Digital Audio Disc Corp" in the hub and a matrix starting with 50021. I already have mastering #2 (and #1) but was excited to find another #3 in the wild so grabbed it. Alas, the rest of the matrix is 21B6, a known #3. Oh well. As least I have one of those for comparison now.

19. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Is the CK 33795
    DIDP-050021 19
    B01
    IFPI L328
    any good?

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I doubt it. Looks like a later issue. You need no leading zeros in the DIDP number.

21. damnit

Yes it is a later issue.
    Which ones should I look for?

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    The above version.
    No Now Made in USA on the rear insert.
    DIDP 50021 below the catalog number at 3 o'clock on the CD face.
    Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp. embossed in the transparent plastic around the center hold of the CD.
    Matrix DIDP 50021 followed by 2 numbers or 2 numbers and the letter A followed by another number (someone claimed an A matrix with mastering #3, but I think it might have been a mistake as there was an identical matrix with mastering #2).

There's an USA for Europe CD with mastering #2, but there's little chance of finding it in the USA (it's not easy to find in Europe; I bought mine on ebay).

wellhamsrus likes this.
  23. damnit

What about the other 3 early springsteen album pressings darkness, asbury etc?

24. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Mine says manufactured in Japan, but only has CK33795 and upside down triangle...there is no DIDP5....

Can anyone tell me if this relates at all? And whether it’s a proper mastering?

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Is the matrix similar to
    [​IMG]
    If so, then it's Japan JVC for US and mastering #3.