Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

By "complete" do you mean all 10 shows? That'd be something!

I do wonder if they multi-tracked anything. There's color footage of one of the shows on the 16th that's been shown occasionally. Would that have been recorded professionally, or just a soundboard from the mixing desk?

2. dee

dee Senior Member

You can hear 30 minutes of it for free at youtube. For me it's a pleasure to hear some different songs that I'm not sick of now and being still relatively new or newer songs at that time.

3. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

That's typically most fans' least favorite disc of the 4 but it does contain Brothers Under the Bridge, which is easily one of Springsteen's best outtakes.

JSKC likes this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

At least it had Meeting Across the River!

I went to one of the Crystal Palace shows and while decent, it wasn't the best. Having Waiting on a Sunny Day and Mary's Place in the same set is cruel.

5. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I feel the same, but I gave it a listen last night and I must recognise that it is more solid than I remembered it to be. It is nowhere near Bruce's best work but not a bad listen after all. He should have trimmed some songs and that should make it a better album.

J

dee likes this.
  6. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Loose Change is another good one

Sean Murdock, dee and Jesus Jeronimo like this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I actually like “My Lover Man” too which is almost like son of “Brilliant Disguise” or similar in style.

Sean Murdock and dee like this.
  8. moonshiner

Yep, that 1994 album could have been a great one

Sean Murdock, warewolf95 and johnny q like this.
  9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Only time in 30 shows I have had Meeting into Jungleland, was an extreme rarity at the time. I thought Mary's Place was wonderful in concert, at least once or twice and at that time even Waiting had not yet outstayed it's welcome.

10. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

If I recall correctly, Springsteen's methodology for Tracks was to cull selections only from material originally recorded for an album that he released. The songs on Disc 4 of Tracks are largely unused songs from the Human Touch album recording sessions including a handful of 57 Channels-like songs that were originally demos Springsteen recorded on bass guitar.

Details are scarce but the '94 album would have been recorded with the '92 - '93 touring band so none of the recordings on Disc 4 of Tracks are from the '94 album sessions. The one song on Disc 4 of Tracks that most likely would have appeared on that '94 album is Back in Your Arms. Of course, the version of that song that appears on Tracks is the re-recording with the E Street Band that was captured during the Greatest Hits album sessions.

11. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

At that point WOASD was an upbeat single which had been released in Europe and it would have been strange for it not to be played. It was a fun song to hear at that time before getting overused in later tours and the kids on stage. Mary’s Place was fine as well. I remember the Rising tour well. It was great. The first and last time the whole E Street Band with Nils and Stevie and Danny and Patti were all onstage together in stadiums in Europe. The Reunion tour and the European Rising Arena leg were harder to get tickets for but the stadium shows were easy and the weather was good. Great times to be a Bruce fan.

adm62 likes this.
  12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The lack of multitrack isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, as is evidenced by the '77 cassette soundboards they used. I'm betting they have quite a few 2-track soundboard and/or pre-broadcast radio tapes in the vaults they could use for some of the older shows. The question is whether they have the motivation to put those out.

budwhite likes this.
  13. She's more invisible, (or inaudible) than Linda McCartney in Wings.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

The 2 songs she does with him in "Springsteen on Broadway" (Tougher and Brilliant), certainly enhance the show.

dee likes this.
  15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Based on what?

16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Wasn't that his alleged "hip hop" album?

He probably made the right decision to raise a family instead of releasing music during that time.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  17. moonshiner

18. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I know someone who was on the road crew from 75 to 81, and he says that virtually every show during that period was recorded thru the soundboard. So theoretically anything from that period is a potential release. But as you said, how much motivation is really there...

19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

That sounds like greatness?

Streets of Philadelphia, Missing, Dead Man Walking - all A+, but I don't think he could've made a good rock record that decade.

budwhite likes this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

It was not a particularly fertile period, that's for sure.

I liked that Homestead song he did with that Grushecky guy, tho.

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The 1994 album? What are you people talking about?

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It kinda depends on how good the live mix was. And if it was recorded on reels or cassette. I'm not keeping my hopes up

23. moonshiner

&
    Back in your arms
    Nothing man
    Secret garden
    Etc

I like them all

And Waiting on the end of the world too (the one on YouTube is just an uninspired rehearsal take with '95 E st Band, not the real one, of course)

24. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. Maybe not the best show of a great tour but solid nonetheless. The Rising songs come alive. Worth the purchase for Into the Fire and Worlds Apart alone. Very solid show and imho the best sound of any of the shows released with the exception of the Passaic release. This archive series is excellent and getting better.

adm62 likes this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If you dig the setlist, then yes. Otherwise probably not.
    It's Springsteen and not the Grateful Dead. The songs are played pretty much in the same way from night to night, tour to tour.
    To me it mostly comes down to sound quality/mix and the setlist. Imho of course