Bruce Springsteen - Next Deluxe Box Set Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, May 5, 2018.

1. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

If you listen closely you'll notice some patches on the original lead vocal

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Now I don't think I want to listen "closely"... maybe I'll just rip the audio from the DVD and stick with that...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

This is especially true during the River sessions. The amount of material recorded was insane and the sessions went on forever. I was shocked reading the various recent Bruce biographies that all the studio time for the album came out of Bruce's pocket and they basically were forced to end when he literally ran out of money. It sounds like they didn't use the usual contractual arrangement of having the sessions paid for by the record company and then recouped later.

4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

You keep on complaining and lobbying and looking for museum pieces and unfinished ideas from 40 years ago. I’ll keep on enjoying. The fans on this thread and even on Backstreets, are a small percentage of fans and as we know from other subjects, have different priorities to the general consumer. Would you ask a novelist to publish an unfinished novel? A sculptor to sell you an abandoned half finished stone? A car manufacturer to sell you a chassis? I’ll listen to the incomplete stuff when there is no artist left to finish it.

Gazza63 likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not see the parallel. Music, novels, and sculptures (let alone automobiles) are different mediums. Springsteen's "Darkness" outtakes were not missing chapters and characters so-to-speak (as in a novel), nor were they still partially un-sculpted blocks of stone. Most of the recordings in question were in advanced stages of development. Furthermore, it is very common for legacy musical artists to release works-in-progress as archival bonus tracks, the same which cannot be said for novelists. Springsteen chose to "complete" the songs to his liking 30 years later. It was his prerogative to do so. But a number of fans would have preferred to have had the material presented in a more organic, natural, historically accurate state. Also, the "general consumer" is typically not the target consumer or likely purchaser for pricey box sets and other archival releases containing material from the vaults, so catering to the deep enthusiast should be a priority for such product. I am glad you like the "Working On A Dream"-era vocal overdubs on 1977-era recordings. Some of us do not.

6. OptimisticGoat

Thanks for yet another repetitive post. I agree that it was his prerogative as to whether he releases what someone accurately described as working studio notes or not.
    Otherwise, I assume you can quote my post (somewhere?) where I said I favoured the overdubs? You will struggle! Stick to the facts.

7. PacificOceanBlue

It is implied, isn't it?
    It appears to me that you prefer Springsteen's contemporary overdubs that "finished" the recordings.

8. OptimisticGoat

Every single time I have defended Springsteen's right to decide what he releases. Nothing more, nothing less. You say first that you would prefer whatever is remaining from what was there in (say) 1978 rather than anything altered. Fine YMMV. I have not expressed a view on the sound or the overdubs. There is no point. But you go beyond expressing an opinion. The Promise Box is a valuable glimpse of a show we will never see. Same with Nebraska and BITUSA if they arrive. Just enjoy it and take it in and (do that thing we should all do - use your imagination)(or don't).

9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

It doesn't really matter if a song is in an advanced state of development or even finished, if for Bruce, the finished version was lacking some magical something that kept in on the shelf. I'd have loved it to see in Bruce's book a lengthy chapter on his writing and creating process.
    We know he has tons of stuff in the Thrill Hill vault. We've all heard great head scratching songs left off albums because they don't "fit" his narrative for the LP.
    He may be the ultimate example of the Picasso quote that art is never finished, only abandoned. Perhaps he looks at much in the vault as a work in progress.
    Even if it's been sitting for 40 years.
    Maybe further on up the road he will feel compelled to do a vault cleaning.
    I ended another post with this, but above all else it really applies.
    The Boss isn't just a nickname.

Gazza63 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

It's his stuff. It's his right to tinker with it. It's our right to not like it.
    (I don't).

11. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Perfectly said!

12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The River box was a disappointment to me. If he applies Botox and mascara to the BITUSA box, I'll most likely be passing on it.

budwhite likes this.
  13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

At this point, I'm more interested in what's in the video vault than the audio vault. I ran into Thom Zimny at Mounmouth U last month. He said there is literally a ton of Barry Rebo video from the 70s. Live shows, rehearsals, home movies, all kinds of stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe a Bruce Rockumentary would be a good idea.

15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Well, I suppose someday Scorcese or some younger auteur will do a George Harrison or Tom Petty type film.

Hopefully Bruce won't try to colorize it, or use CGI to make himself look more muscular

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  16. PacificOceanBlue

I think it is definitely a possibility. Both he and Landau have to see the value of preserving the legacy with a comprehensive, chronological documentary (especially with their recent involvement with "The Searcher").

budwhite likes this.
  17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but they shouldn't have to resort to colorization. There's more 1975 footage in color: Bottom Line, Lenox and Tower Theater. Perhaps Roxy '75 too. When they did the Tower Theater archive show (12/31/75) a few years ago, that would have been the perfect time to release some of it on the official website. Even a song or two would have been great. Instead we get a few seconds here and there sprinkled in different documentaries and have to piece together clues to figure out where they might be from.

Scorcese seems like an interesting choice. He's done well with music projects before and he could get Bruce and DeNiro together to directly address the "You talkin' to me?" issue.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Any live material for BITUSA absolutely MUST include his stupendous cover of "Trapped." It's long served all its USA for Africa purposes, and deserves more proper placement than just on a Greatest Hits collection.

19. PacificOceanBlue

I think the best scenario is if Springsteen and Landau enter into a deal with an outside producer and give that producer full autonomy to produce the project and narrative. If Springsteen and Landau are too closely involved and controlling, any such project will likely suffer from their efforts to perpetuate their carefully crafted narrative rather than an honest, real presentation.

20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Agreed. If its a Springsteen/Landau/Zimny production, it will be a whitewash. But I think there is a pretty high probability it would be a Springsteen/Landau/Zimny production.

Peter Bogdanovich did a great job with the Petty doc, and from what I understand, was not a huge Petty fan going in.
    Scorcese would seem to be a natural fit, given his work with The Band, Dylan and George H.
    Or, they could turn it over to a fan with a film background, like The Who did with The Kids are Alright (No chance)

21. PacificOceanBlue

Alison Ellwood and co-producer Alex Gibney did a very good job with the "History of The Eagles" documentary, one of the best music documentaries of its kind. I would love to see the Springsteen camp hand off the reigns to an objective third-party. But you are probably correct, it will be a Zimny project. At this point, Zimny is too close to the artist and management team.

budwhite likes this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes, I don't like The Eagles at all, and really enjoyed that doc (although it was a bit cheesy at times)
    I'd like to see them hand it off too, but its unlikely. If there's one thing Springsteen & Co. value above all else, its control

23. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

(There's a reason Dave "Rah Rah" Marsh got tapped to write the first two books)

24. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

YES!
    I cannot bring myself to buy these boxes - or the Stones' Exile set with the same glaring 40-years-after-the-fact overdubs - knowing it is an inaccurate representation of the artist during that period.

25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I never got the Stones Exile box...is it really that bad?

Matthew Tate likes this.