Bruce Springsteen on Broadway

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"Sunny Day" is still a better song than most of WOAD. The only two things I'd keep off it are "The Last Carnival" and "The Wrestler," which are nice songs, but not really live barn-burners. Some of the WOAD stuff might've been okay High Hopes or (the inevitable) Tracks 2 fluff, but playing "Tomorrow Never Knows" in front of an arena or stadium crowd, he might as well be reading the phone book. This broadway thing and its intimate setting could've been a really cool opportunity to recast and revitalize some long-forgotten songs, but alas.

2. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I guess that's true for most of us...I like to think of it as cleaning house and no longer hoarding information I can't use any more. Allows the mind to stay free, in order to keep at the ready, obscure music type things.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's a good way of looking at it!

let him run... likes this.
  4. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Anybody surprises a soundtrack hasn't been releases yet? I know this isn't your standard protocol b'way show. But, soundtracks are usually releases asap? Like Rent, Hamilton etc.

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Cast albums are usually recorded (very quickly) at some point during the initial run of the show so they can sell them at the merch table. But this is Bruce so......

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Often they're recorded in the studio before the show opens. Wouldn't expect Brice to do that either.

ralphb likes this.
  7. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Yea. its not like anybody's going to be surprised at the set list. Given what they're charging for shirts, booze etc. they could charged $40-50 for the CD's.

8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Broadway show merchandise is notoriously expensive. If I recall correctly, the cd for Hamilton was about 15 bucks higher at the theater than it was at Amazon, and you could easily go broke buying up all the available trinkets at any given show.

9. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

...but the show is magical...go at all costs...I promise, you’ll love it...song-list does not do it justice...

JoeRockhead and forthlin like this.
  10. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Yes! I purposely avoided all spoilers and just went and saw the show. Nothing terribly exotic setlist wise, but if you ever wanted to hang out with Bruce in his living room for a few hours while he told a few stories and serendaed you on guitar and piano, this is the closest you'll probably ever get! It was AMAZING!

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

The cast album is the only way people can listen to the songs from a musical at home. The same is not true of Bruce’s songs.

I could see him doing an album or more likely a film of the show once it’s over.

dee likes this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Please include The Rising album and song in his mishaps

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He has a new song out and Classic Rock website makes it out to be something special.

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That comment doesn't sound very liberal for this forum:)

15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

16. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Just to get back on topic...SEE THIS SHOW...sorry for yelling...lol...but it’s that good...

17. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Just got back from seeing the show.
    It is Wonderful. If you have the audio book it is that but songs mixed in. And luckily I had a good audience no talking or screaming out stuff while he was talking or throughout the songs. Just dead silence, which is what it should be like when you see a play. The only time was during Dancing In The Dark when some started singing. Bruce told them he did not need help.
    The only comment I would make was that the show started with his upbringing and parents and then kind of skipped from 1973 to 1984. Also some of the last few songs where played without comments about them or what was happening around that time. I guess I just wanted more detail like in the book. but then again the audio book is something like 20 some hours long.
    Needless to say this is a Must see if you are a Big fan of Bruce and his music.

JoeRockhead, HarvG and ggg71 like this.
  18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

[​IMG]

Had pleasure of seeing this last night. Will post all pictures when back in London. These just phone edits. Great show. Endeared me more to old Bruce. Slightly overlong. Not all parts work. But felt lucky to be there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. raphph

Also. Heard rumours in crowd that he’s extending till June?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I heard that last week, too, but haven't gotten any updates since then!

Hope so - I'm still trying to get tickets via the daily lottery, but another 80 shows or so would obviously make it easier!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  21. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Where were your seats? Looks like Mezz right row a or b? Seat numbers?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  22. raphph

Mezz about row 5. Near aisle

23. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Thanks much for posting these raphph - if I am reading your comments properly, you were at the Wednesday night show (11/2), which is the same show I was at. I was sitting a couple of rows behind you.

I personally thought the show was outstanding, and clearly worth the trek from Chicago to NY to see it. Agree with your comment about "Endeared me more to old Bruce".

The sound quality was very impressive. My hearing clearly is not what it once was, and everything came across crystal clear and crisp.

And please do post more pics!

Thanks,

Harvey

raphph and budwhite like this.
  24. raphph

Harvey! Glad you were there and enjoyed it. I was at Thursday 2nd which I think you meant? I had just flown in from London that day. Am now in Indianapolis to see David Crosby. Will post full Bruce album on my return to London next week. Managed to get away with many shots despite militant ushers. Thankfully they were more distracted by the iPhones.

budwhite and HarvG like this.
  25. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Yeah - we definitely were at the same show. I was center mezzanine but probably a few rows further back than you were. Excited to see the rest of your pics - thank you!

raphph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.