Bruce Springsteen on Broadway

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Unless Elvis comes back from the dead, I will never pay $850 to see any act. I can just imagine Springsteen launching into "Waitin' On A Sunny Day" on Broadway -- I would get sick to my stomach thinking I just paid nearly a grand to witness it.

2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Well, he needs to pay for his daughter's horses somehow...

Jimmy B., majorlance and budwhite like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It was back in 2005 when I was a big fan. I did eight shows in Europe and five in America. But the last five was mostly an excuse to fly over and have some fun on a two week road trip.
    I did fly over for two MSG shows with the E street band two years later but have been a casual fan after that. Seeing a couple shows every other tour. But I certainly lost the spark in 2005. I don't know why really.

4. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

What an odd, random attack.

If a ticket to this is too expensive (as it is for me), skip it.

5. PacificOceanBlue

The few hundred million already in this bank account should suffice. ;)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Almost certainly won't be that kind of tour. I would expect something similar to the D&D and Tom Joad tours.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

No problem with krlpuretone's comment here.

There's an undeniable disconnect between these ticket prices & Brooce's carefully-maintained image as a "working class hero."

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    ted321, Jimmy B., ralphb and 3 others like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

My statement was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Your point is well taken. I thought the 2005 was generally effective, although, some of the new material at the time from D&D seemed less impressive than his back-catalogue. He has a lot of material he can revisit for this Broadway run, and certainly some of it will be well-performed, but I think his overall body of work has become watered down over the past 15 years with a lot of mediocre material (in comparison to the uniformly consistent, and mostly strong work from the 1973-1987 period), so I suspect some of the Broadway set lists could be uneven.

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

budwhite likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Good Lord. The loudest complainers will never travel to New York to see this anyway. I, on the other hand, will gladly pay $75.

Martin Byrne, JoeRockhead and posnera like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

A "pared down" show? Why? Broadway shows are typically about 3 hours.

12. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

You mean the prospect of a solo acoustic version of "Outlaw Pete" doesn't get you all excited? :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Exactly. This is a very limited ticket. I think someone said ~1000 seats. So less total tickets than for a single night at a football/baseball stadium. These will sell out immediately and there will still be a major secondary market for resale. Better for Bruce to pocket the cash than speculators.

JoeRockhead and Terry like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

But by inflating the face value, Springsteen essentially creates an excessively high priced secondary market. His fans who are forced to purchase in the secondary market are conceivably paying significantly more than they would in the secondary market had the original face value of the tickets been set at a more reasonable price point.

budwhite likes this.
  15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I gotcha. No worries, and feel free to express yourself. I'm just looking at it (and any ticket for anyone) in a purely market-based way. I can't afford $850 for anyone, so I'm strictly priced out.

krlpuretone likes this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I agree.

Frankly, if any of these skeptical posts are by any longtime fans of Springsteen, I'm very surprised -

Knowing how much over the years he's invested all his abilities (literally mind, body and soul) into his live performances, with or without The E Street Band on stage with him, how can any true fans cast any doubt?
    At least, on his intentions?

OK, let's be pessimistic...
    1. Playing solo, he breaks his usually live show set lists, and for these shows he plays ONLY one hour and a half - just 90 minutes, or less. Which is easily what many if his peers typically do (excluding Paul McCartney).

2. His performance and enthusiasm on stage is lackluster. Distracted. Lacks energy. Extremely disappointing.
    Reaction to audience feedback is nil.

3. His set list is horrible. 90% of the songs are just plain bad choices.

OK, that's all I can imagine as possible negatives... Perhaps I can wrack my brain for other near-impossible scenarios... That would make any of these shows a terrible bust. No matter the price.

However, in 40 plus years of seeing Springsteen live shows, can anyone truly claim any of the above 3 situations having ever occurred...?

Then compare that rare occurrence/ fluke bad/ overall ratio to ANY other performer... EVER to set foot upon any stage.

Waiting for responses...
    :laugh: :agree: :p

warewolf95, kevywevy and Rfreeman like this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sold! :)

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I disagree. The secondary market has some actual market forces involved. The market price of front row center may be $5000 (just making up numbers). If face value is $50 or $4000, the resale price stays the same. If face is > market value, the reseller eats the cost.
    I know there are "irregularities" with how the tickets are initially allotted, which drives scarcity and increases resale prices, but that is not related to the face value.
    I don't disagree that these are very expensive tickets, but I don't see it as disrespectful to the fans. It's just business.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Honestly the high prices are a bit of a favor to his most diehard fans as they increase the odds of getting tix and discourage scalpers. It is a pretty risky bet for a scalper to lay out $850/tkt hoping to sell for $1500

lightbulb likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bruce has done Count Basie charity gigs where tickets went for much more than $1,500.

Bruce is intentionally underplaying the market. Promoting a future BTR musical?

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It will discourage the amateur "flippers". Pro NYC ticket brokers will know that these are still seriously underpriced.

22. darling

darling Senior Member

At gunpoint, no less.

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

We also don';t know what the $850 tickets are-- whether they're the entire front section or just part of some VIP package.

24. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

I will try to get tix and fly in to NY with a friend... I have seen Bruce solo in 2005 ahend it was indeed very good. For this time around, I think he will read only parts where he can then insert a song or two... these ahve the potential to be quite special; I predict he will not just play the hits but he will uncover a lot of things from the 70s, particularly the BTR album...

Yes, I predict a piano version of Night, maybe even Jungleland :goodie:

I am almost sure he will play something rare: if only he would do the alternative acoustic Thunder Road from the 70s!

Another thing is it might end up released on nugs too!

25. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Exactly. I can't imagine anyone being forced into the secondary market. Especially at >$850! That's a crazy price. And as for the $1500 tickets for charity, that is a completely different thing and raising money for a cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.