Bruce Springsteen's next archive release-Meadowlands 8/5/84

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I hope we do get a Tunnel of Love show next. So far, the first release aside, they are moving chronologically, so fingers crossed.

J_D__ likes this.
  2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Indeed, but I echo the thoughts about the USA versus European Shows. Hopefully the series will in time have room for more than one release from 1988. Stockholm, LA and Detroit (the 3 sources for the Chimes Of Freedom EP) are all good possibilities. Throw in Sheffield too as the source for the Spare Parts video.

Those USA shows had 8 or 9 of the Tunnel songs, while Stockholm was down to 5.

dee and belardd like this.
  3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Would definitely prefer a US show.

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Yeah, the Euro shows were often better shows but they were definitely less TOL show.

5. Gangrel

Gangrel Well-Known Member

So pardon my tiny brain, I'm new to all this audiophile stuff..... It seems to me this means the DSD files are simply DSD "versions/copies" of 192/24 files...... so should sound exactly the same as the 192/24 files we can download, no?

If I understand DSD correctly, in this case it would only sound better if it was made directly from the original tapes?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I usually am.... ask my wife!

6. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

Ummmm
    Toby Scott recorded almost every electron ever excited by Bruce or the band from about 1980 on... He engineered Meadowlands and Nassau. In the truck, at the venue.

I was at the Tower show. Remember it vividly.

Ah so much older then and younger than that now.

Without wanting to sound douchey or reveal what is not mine to speak of, but there are so so many exigencies that are never considered in terms of why this of thaf show sounds like it does, or was not released or even exists.

Not referring to this series but here's what we've seen or heard of over the years

1. Piano is distorted for an entire month of shows. Rx4 can fix now but not 5 years ago.
    2. Piano mic is a Helpinstill and bloggers complain it's out of tune. Try getting any acceptable sound out of it. One famous release is replaced piano throughout, Pianist is now dead. lucky they decided in time to release that series when they still could repair it.
    3. Show contains cover versions of songs that because of ancient grudges can't be licensed. Mandate is to release entire shows.
    4. Major song in it's earliest unfinished form is recorded with nonsense lyrics in several places and a. The lyrics suck, b. Paul would be dead again. C. One typo in the tech copy triggers 20-odd posts, imagine what this would do.
    5. One member was impaired so severely that while others' vocals are spot on the third vocal in the harmony stack is unlistenable throughout . Budget doesnt allow for the elaborate Autotune and corrective measures, but done out of conscience free, resultant flanging and warbling w the monitor bleed in the drums necessitating killing the overheads and serious gating and the drum sound sucks. Net net some blogosphere patron hates the drum sound and the "stupid" engineering is faulted. That one pissed me off.
    6. Best show ever, no lead guitar track sporadically for the whole performance because bad patch cord. Guitarist now dead.
    7. Twin machine show one machine sounds great the B machine was aligned by Helen Keller.
    8. Artist broke up w boyfriend that week, spat out a great performance, refuses to listen/approve to the show because diary reveals the backstage fight that ended the relationship.
    9. Label wants the show from the month before that sucks but there's video.
    10. And last but not least? Great show, first and third and fifth reel missing.

And that's just part of it.
    Nobody is stupid who's working on these shows. These are pros who try (and do) their best. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  7. jamiehowarth

24 track Tape - a/d to 192/24 PCM - d/a to mix 24 tracks to stereo through analog equipment - stereo output of board A/d both DSD and PCM simultaneously. Both are mastered. Those final versions are offered as is a compressed version (Mastered For ITunes).

Boris75 likes this.
  8. Gangrel

One last question then.... like I said, I'm still new to all this hi-res stuff, so am trying to learn about it whenever I can.

Using the chain above then, is it correct to say this:

The DSD files that come out of the board (bolded part) are 1-bit "copies" of the source, 192/24 PCM stereo files created? I.E. they should sound just as good as the 192/24 stereo mix at the board?
    And that the 192/24 files are "lesser" copies of the source 192/24 files? I.e. a copy of a copy, where each copy would result in less detail, if that makes sense? So, a lesser sampled and therefore does NOT sound exactly like the 192/24 stereo mix at the board?

9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Dude, you are splitting some serious hair. Just pick one and get it. Both the DSD and the 192/24 sound great. Just choose the format you prefer.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

:laughup:This is a wonderful phrase. Thank you so much.

11. Gangrel

Dude, I was genuinely curious so I could better understand the differences between the two files. I've already bought the 192 files. A person can't learn if you don't ask questions.

12. jamiehowarth

Since the introduction of sigma/delta converters - originally developed for DSD but now employed in both PCM and DSD digitization - it is my contention that both versions if played through the same hi-quality d/a converter will sound identical. Mine is not the universal view (at least not yet), but I believe that the popularity of DSD is because of the more advanced converter topology now used for both storage formats.

TL/DR dude they sound the same or so close who cares.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

According to brucebase...
    67 TOL tour concerts
    102 The Other Band tour concerts
    127 GOTJ tour concerts
    132 Reunion tour concerts
    120 The Rising tour concerts
    72 Devils and Dust tour concerts
    56 Seeger Session tour concerts
    100 Magic tour concerts
    83 WOAD tour concerts
    133 Wrecking Ball tour concerts
    34 High Hopes tour concerts

Not to mention the hundreds of hours of hours of Amnesty concerts, soundchecks, tour rehearsal and dress rehearsals, club and guest shows, special event shows, etc...

I think I will take a long nap now...

14. kingofdmv

kingofdmv Forum Resident

All know is that I'm enjoying the hell out of the Tower Theater 1975 show right now. I'm grateful to whoever in the Bruce camp got this live release campaign to finally happen. I can finally clear my conscience after my decades of boot buying! :D

J_D__, dajokr, dee and 2 others like this.
  15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Toby Scott has been working for and has been recording Bruce for nearly 40 years, I'd say that makes him pretty much an expert on his tape archive.

1. The Nassau show is one of the greatest shows that Bruce and the band ever performed!

2. Philly 75 is an incredible and classic show.

If neither of these do anything for you I don't know what would.

16. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I really like this Meadowlands release. I was at the shows on the 8th and 19th (ticket price: $16.00) and this is a treat for me. $13 for the FLAC files is a good deal, too. Here's hoping for more like this!

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Well said.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm sorry, poor choice of words. I meant before the archives - there was nothing, not one classic show. Just a few bits and pieces here and there. Hammersmith 75 is cool and some of it is very good but it cerntainly wasn't one of the top 15 shows of the year. It was never a classic or beloved show.

I hear what you say about Toby Scott.
    A little info wouldn't hurt though. Do they have Vietnam vets in the vault in good quality? Why so silent all these years? We want to know.
    It ain't the Warren commision they're sitting on

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  19. budwhite

As always, thanks for your input Jamie!

Now, please plant a seed in Toby's mind about The Roxy 78 :tiphat:

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

As always, Jamie, thanks for your input here.

I've bought every single one of these in FLAC and they've more than lived up to expectations. I was never a big fan of the BITUSA tour but this show is GREAT. I would say it's amazing how some people nitpick a 30-year-old live recording, but we're on an audiophile forum where folks return vinyl records for a stray pop. And I think some people want the "sound" of classic live albums without realizing just how much doctoring in-the-studio after-the-fact went into those "live" recordings.

A true multi tracked show from '78 would be great. The five Phoenix songs from the Darkness box are outstanding... Hopefully the entire show was recorded without issues.

Burningfool likes this.
  21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Thank you jamiehowarth for checking in once in a while to set the record straight, it's very much appreciated! I personally think everyone involved is doing a great job, keep 'em coming!

22. budwhite

Someone on Springsteen's site posted something in the comment section about the lack of guitars on the last two shows.
    I don't have fb so I can't reply or like the post but it would be good if more people pointed that out.

23. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

So, does that mean you're assuming that Toby Scott simply forgot to mix in guitar parts (oops!) or decided to take guitars out of the mix? He just needs a little nudge when it comes to guitar parts? That just seems silly to me.

rcb30 likes this.
  24. budwhite

Well, what can it be then? If there were some problem with the guitars, they could have let us know by writing a few lines about it

25. budwhite

84-85 wasn't great years for the guitars in the e street band but Bruce and Steve played and sounded pretty good on the river tour. But you don't hardly hear it on Nassau.
    So what do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.