Bruce Springsteen's next archive release-Meadowlands 8/5/84

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ditto. I have 70/70 internet and I had to leave my laptop downloading all night long, while I slept.

2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

In my opinion this is blowing things out of proportion. Nassau 1980 does not sound like a bootleg. Yes crowd mics are cranked up more than usual, but in no way does it sound like an audience recording. Also, I don't consider paying $12.95 for 38 songs "paying good money".

3. That is exactly what I mean. The audience noise is louder than the music at certain parts. I really ruins the recording IMO. I don't think I've heard any other officially released live album that has been mixed like this before. It seems strange that Toby Scott has only mixed the Nassau 1980 release in this way. The rest of these live albums in this archive series (including the Meadowlands concert from 1984) that have recently been released I have no problems with at all.

The only plus side of the Nassau 1980 release is the amount of tracks that are on there. You could argue that the album is worth that amount of money because of the long track listing.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Taxman likes this.
  4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Jeez, none of you know what the multi-tracks to something like Nassau are like. Maybe there are issues.

Sean Murdock and rcb30 like this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I agree. The Nassau mix and mastering is definitely bootleg caliber. In some respects -- not all -- it sounds almost identical to the bootleg version of the show, and is nowhere near the quality of the other officially released cuts from the Nassau stand.

Andrew Smith and dee like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Actually, we do know how good these tapes can sound because many tracks from the Nassau stand have been officially released (Merry Christmas Baby, This Land Is Your Land, Incident On 57th Street, etc.)

7. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident

Can everyone please stop these criticisms already? Some of us actually enjoy these recordings and feel blessed to be able to have any of these amazing shows in this type of quality!! No disrespect, but can we please just move on and be thankful these archive shows even exist and are now available to all of us? Thanks!:righton:

Dugan and ego1jr like this.
  8. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

That doesn't mean there are no issues out of the many songs from the one date.

9. Clark V Kauffman

Yes, that's very true. I can see how a guitar or vocal might be "missing" from one track. My issue is the overall sound quality of the entire performance.

10. Clark V Kauffman

I understand the inclination to be grateful we have any sort of vault releases. I feel that way, too -- to an extant. But my feelings along those lines are tempered by the knowledge that these shows are nowhere near the quality I would have expected from an official release. But I don't say that to diminish your enjoyment of the shows. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine, and I wouldn't expect you to change it just to conform to what other people think.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Other than "The Price You Pay" and sometimes a couple of other songs such as Wreck on the Highway and Who'll Stop The Rain, the combo of a precarious sonic fidelity and mix has had me all but abandon listening to the concert after a number of attempts and that frustrates me about it! I like the sound of Bruce's vocals which are enjoyable to hear in some songs for me, so as to end this post on a positive note.

12. VINYLFREAK1978

VINYLFREAK1978 Well-Known Member

Anything after 1980-81 is irrelevant IMO.. BITUSA tour sounded awful and of course you have Patti involved also.

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Based on sound, yes. The rockin ESB with guitars was gone by 1984.
    But there are other things to enjoy. Bruce's vocals, the acoustic numbers. 84 was the first time Bruce played an acoustic guitar on tour since 74 or something like that. Great versions of Born to run and the Promised land and Backstreets and Independence day in 84, to name a few
    88 had the tunnel songs and the horns and the acoustic Born to run.

I never skip songs when I'm listening to the earlier years, but after 81 I usally do. A bit to cheesy at timesand to much synthesizers for a 3h show

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    rcb30 likes this.
  15. VINYLFREAK1978

Totally agree, those acoustic bits from Nebraska were gorgeous on the 1984-85 tour.. Only stand out for me are those acoustic bits.

16. Clark V Kauffman

Good Lord...

Jamey K likes this.
  17. VINYLFREAK1978

I know it was terrible wasn't it.. I am glad you agree.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

I got the Meadowlands show in DSD and very much like it. My only gripe is that I wish they had edited out Springsteen's long monologues and dropped Hungry Heart, where is voice sounds coarse. Other than that, it's really great fun to listen to. Perhaps they could have made the guitars a bit more prominent in the mix. But I really find this release very enjoyable (in contrast with the Agora Show, which I bought in 24/192 and found a disappointment).

19. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

They were always a big part of the show and this one is pretty special with his family there...

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The monologues were essential parts of every show from 1973 through 1985.

johnny q, budwhite and Fritz G23 like this.
  21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Just reviving this thread to find out if anyone knows when the next concert will be released or what it might be.

22. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

No word yet. Speculation seems to be focused on something from 1988 but that's all it is.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Saw in another thread that this to be the case

24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

What I've heard is that it will be one of the April 1988 Los Angeles shows. (A couple of the Chimes of Freedom tracks were taken from the April 27 show.)

25. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

And it was filmed.

belardd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.