Bruce Springsteen --- where to start? And why ? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power Thread Starter

Born to Run ? Greetings? The River ?

levi likes this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Honestly, I would do chronological with Bruce and just stop when you stop feeling it. For me, I stop at Born in the USA and then skip around a bit after, but YMMV. Everything up to that one is pretty great though.

3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Wild, Innocent
    Best Boss ever. Sweeping and epic is the very definition of this brilliant East Coast Astral Weeks

Jimmy B., JuanTCB, garymc and 4 others like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Born To Run if you want early.

Born In The USA if you want mid.

Magic if you want later.

Pretty simple.

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Born In The U.S.A."; where the Bruce legend was born for so many.
    The 'next Dylan' & the covers of both "Time" and "Newsweek" at the same time [which was BIG news back-in-the-day].

EDitEDbyED:
    me second 'were too start' post & for the second time it's were i startED as well.

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I think the "why?" is the real question here.

R. Totale, JohnnyQuest, cc-- and 4 others like this.
  7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Darkness. His best songs still, then he was at his peak. Had many many songs to choose from when he did that record. Candy's Room and Adam Raised A Cain and Badlands are 3 of his greatest songs.

Jimmy B., Gavinyl, Jerryb and 3 others like this.
  8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I would agree with this except that I'd extend it to include the next album Tunnel Of Love, which I hold in very high esteem.

1973-87, that's your core Bruce, studio wise.

9. kdl6769

kdl6769 Forum Resident

Here, with this song:

10. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Born To Run - It's epic and where I first heard Bruce.
    Darkness on the Edge of Town - Great songs. Worth it for Candy's Room, Prove It All Night & Badlands.
    The River - Shows Bruce's diversity.
    Born in the USA - chockfull of hits. You'll probably know every song here.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Good question.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

While the Wild & The Innocent... is my favorite I think Born to Run is the place to start. Why? It's a masterpiece. It contains the title track and Thunder Road, probably his two greatest songs. After that I'd go with Darkness where he left behind the romance and poetics of the early albums and went for the bard of the working class thing and a much more stripped down sound, a bad he's more or less been in since.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  13. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Depends how you want to approach it: street-savvy poet, with some Latin-influenced rhythms? Go for Wild & Innocent. Spector-esque melodrama? Born To Run. Big, bombastic production? Born In The U.S.A. Guthrie-type troubadour? Ghost Of Tom Joad.
    Ah, f it. Just take kdl6769's advice above and enjoy!

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I started at the beginning when I came virtually "virginal" to Bruce 2 or 3 years ago. I got the "1973-84" box set which is a great little set at a good price. I spent a couple of weeks minimum with each album before progressing on to the next one and it helped me to really see how he progressed, and from where.

Chronological all the way! (which I'm currently doing with John Martyn also)

dajokr and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Start here with this great overview box, then: The River, then Born In The USA, then Nebraska, then Born to Run. After that, it's up to you. (Lucky Town and Magic maybe)
    [​IMG]

Dugan and BZync like this.
  16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Probably this best of...

[​IMG]

17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The River. That way you get a feel for what he used to be able to do, and you don't peak early with Darkness.

quicksrt likes this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

As others have said, go chronological up to and including the magnificent Tunnel Of Love, all those albums constitute an amazing musical journey. After that it's pick and choose.
    That said, I think "The Wild, the Innocent...." is his best album, something happened there that he was never able to capture again. Very magical.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  19. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Wild&Innocent and then Born To Run.
    Or, Born To Run and then Wild&Innocent.
    Wild&Innocent is the sleeper favorite among many, as you can see here, and you just can't pass judgment on the music one way or another without BTR in its entirety.

Then pick up a used copy of Live 1975-85 for a taste of the live legend. I'd argue that the center of that box -- middle of CD2, or side 5 of vinyl -- is the core of his entire songwriting/performing identity. They're all Darkness-era songs, but better here.

levi likes this.
  20. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

download a couple of recent live shows from down under.

Carserguev likes this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I started with Greetings many years ago - probably around 1973. Went on to Wild and the Innocent and then Born to Run. That was where I stopped since I had no interest after that. I still listen to Wild and The Innocent once in awhile.

22. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Bruce has yet to really click with me... Someday I'll give him another shot. Nebraska is the only album that I've enjoyed to the point of purchasing. If you're into Bob Dylan/Neil Young/guitar+harmonica, this might be a place to start.

thebunk, Crispy Rob and HominyRhodes like this.
  23. kdl6769

kdl6769 Forum Resident

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    I think this is essential. A fantastic early show when the band still included violinist Suki Lahav. Has one of the best Dylan covers ever recorded in "I Want You".

redsock, tappioha, Mooserfan and 4 others like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Another vote for The Wild, The Innocent . . .
    But be prepared to be let down when after that you discover be abandoned this path for more straightahead rock and roll and massive success.

notesofachord, Nathen and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.