Brushing a dj stylus backwards not advisable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased a shure m35x for another headshell to play some of my dirtier, scratched up 45 rpm singles. Even after cleaning the stylus tends to pick up lots of crud and needs to be cleaned constantly. My question is whether it is dangerous to brush from the front to back? I understand you shouldn't do this on audiophile carts (i wouldn't on the nagaoka i have), but I am wondering if it's safe to do for dj styli? I would assume so, if they can tolerate back cueing and such this seems to put less force on the stylus and cantilever. You may ask why I want to try brushing in the opposite direction, its to help loosen stuff that is caught around the stylus tip. So basically I am asking if it is safe to brush a dj cart stylus from front to back?

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Mechanically this is wrong in method.
    You will probably get away with this but i wouldn't,t

3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Sounds like you could use a good record cleaning device!

chervokas likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Clean your records dude !!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

patient_ot and chervokas like this.
  5. colby2415

I have, the best I can with what I got. It's obviously not enough and between that and the cat hair it's impossible to keep my records clean. Should probably invest in a cleaning system at some point.

patient_ot and The Pinhead like this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

7. The Pinhead

No you don't. Mix 20% blue windex+80distilled water. Soak a big cottonball, wipe in a circular motion, rinse with at least half a liter of distilled water per lp, dry with paper towels without wiping, let the remnants evaporate (10' at the very least). Don't worry about the labels, they are not affected. Static : gone / dust : gone /fingerprints and other greasy residues : gone. For good if you handle your records appropriately.

Poor man's method I know; been working wonders for me for over 20 years now. Not a spec of dust or lint on my styli after 1000 hs play per stylus and I have cleaned every Lp just ONCE. Lack of money is not an excuse;):righton:

melodic chaos and dartira like this.
  8. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

What
    What cloth do you use for rinsing? Micro-fiber?

9. The Pinhead

Kitchen paper towels.

10. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Ah, thanks. I'm going to try your method, sounds very doable.

11. colby2415

My method is similar (sorta). I spray a distilled water/alcohol/dish soap mixture onto a micro fiber cloth, and wipe down the record spinning on the platter. Don't use anything to dry, I just let the record air dry before putting it back/playing it. I guess this is sufficient? My stylus still gets dirty from time to time, must be all the cat hair in my house.

12. colby2415

Paper towels? sounds like that might cause scratches? Maybe I am just paranoid about these things, but it is not advisable for cleaning eyeglass lenses. I'd assume this is similar.

13. The Pinhead

Indeed they do cause scratches. Just place them over the records to absorb excess water, no wiping, just gently press with you palms and fingers. The rest will evaporate in a matter of 10' leaving no residues behind. Been doing this for decades.

best of lucks

14. colby2415

Is there any way to know if there is residue left behind? I assume the stylus would scoop it out of the grooves? I just let it air dry, but I might try your method.

15. The Pinhead

Well, you're using a conical tip like mine (M44); they don't reach as deep into the groove as other profiles, but indeed , if nothing sticks to the stylus after some plays, take it as a clear indication of success. It is of paramount importance that you use distilled water ONLY. You can even wipe in a circular motion to dry it even further with the paper towels before the evaporation stage without scratching the records . Try the method on a disposable used record first to see whether you like the method or not.

16. colby2415

Yeah, I only used distilled water in my mixture so i have some handy, if i try your method i'll let you know how it goes.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.