Bryan Singer to Helm NBC's 'The Munsters' Reboot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

It's called work!

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Eddie Izzard is playing "Grandpa"....man, I used to love Eddie Izzard.

Eddie Izzard is moving to "Mockingbird Lane."

The "United States of Tara" and "The Riches" actor Izzard has signed on for a starring role in "Mockingbird Lane," NBC's upcoming revamp of the classic comedy series "The Munsters." Izzard will play Grandpa, a character played by Al Lewis in the 1960s series.

Izzard will also produce on the series.

The pilot -- which was initially passed on by the network, then revived by NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt -- will represent a radical departure from the CBS series of yore. Billed as a "radical reinvention" of the original, "Mockingbird Lane" will be "a visually spectacular one-hour drama." Yes, drama.

Bryan Fuller, of "Dead Like Me" and "Pushing Daisies" renown, is writing and executive-producing the pilot. "X-Men" helmsman Bryan Singer will direct.

Deadline first reported the news.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...sters+revamp/6335986/story.html#ixzz1plJDKTUU

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Folks sometimes these things sound bad until you see what is being imagined come to life. I know Bryan Fuller pretty well and he is a talented dude. He is very excited about this. Whether or not it works has yet to be seen but I don't think you can write this effort off as typical formulaic crap.

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

[​IMG]

Will they have Spot?

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

....and Kitty Kat, Cousin It....will Gomez wreck model trains?

I just cannot imagine an hour, well, 40 minutes of Munster action that isn't snooze fodder.

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

What a waste.

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You're mixing your '60s monster comedies. :)

9. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I loved what he did with "Dead Like Me" (before he left the show), so I think if anyone can pull off this remake, he can.

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

If Bryan fuller is involved, I'll at least take a look. I was gonna say that I'm willing to give any Bryan Fuller project a chance, then I saw where he's signed on for a remake of The Adventures of Pinocchio. I draw the line there.

11. Rachael Bee

"You rang." :laugh:

You're right Gomez! My memory is a train wreck. They were both on the air at the same time. It's all mixed up now.

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Singer ruined Superman why not The Munsters?

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it gets more surreal with info on the remake spurting out...this is just nauseating.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

will be be the horrendous color palette as well?

15. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Won't this technically be the third remake if you count the TV movie reboots from the 90s?

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Let the spewing begin!!:hurl::hurlleft:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What scares me is that it sounds like they're gonna take a lot of the funny out of the show. A serious Munsters show? Yikes...

What's next: Dragnet as a comedy? I Love Lucy as a slasher melodrama? Seinfeld as a game show?

This re-imagining stuff just makes me ill. Come up with a new show, already; don't screw with the classics.

(On the other hand, I'm amused by the idea of Dark Shadows as a satire, but I think calling this show a "classic" is a stretch. And when you think about it, Survivor is kind of Gilligan's Island as a game show.)

18. Rachael Bee

It was good as a comedy, especially for us P.A.G.A.N.'s! :laugh:

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

wasn't the dragnet movie from the 80's a comedy?

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'm quite sure that with Byan Fuller it will be a comedy. Just really dark. Eddie Izzard is Grandpa.

21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Well, with "Dead Like Me" and "Pushing Daisies" this guy Fuller's got a solid record of shows that nobody watches. Tim Burton must be po'd that he didn't get his hands on a goth/monster remake from his childhood...we could have had Johnny Depp as Herman and Helena Bonham-Carter as Lily

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It seems like the "re-imagining" formula is now not only to take an old TV show or movie and remake it, but to make sure you do it in the genre OPPOSITE of the original - if it was a comedy, it's now a drama; if it was a drama, it's now a comedy. I don't get it.

23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think you've hit on something--it just shows how out of ideas Hollywood is-

24. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Then again, Hollywood has been remaking and remaking films since the beginning of it all, so it's not something new that has suddenly started, say 10 years ago.

Watch the remake when it comes out, give it a chance. Then if it stinks, it stinks.

25. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Bryan Fuller created 2 of my favorite TV shows, "Wonderfalls" and "Pushing Daisies," so I will certainly give this a chance no matter how terrible it sounds. The guy's got an amazing, unique visual style on top of being a very imaginative storyteller that could work well with this material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.