Bryston 4B just died

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by noname74, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Was watching TV at a low volume (so wasn't pushing the amp at all) and all of a sudden there was a loud pop and almost a sound like something falling inside the amp and then then amp stopped working. Checked the outlet, power cord etc to see if it was something easy but to no avail...it's the amp. Is there anything I can do to try to fix it or should I not bother and just bring it in to get sent to Bryston?

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Did you check the fuse?

noname74 likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Is there a fuse holder on the back, if so check that hasn't blown, but if you are still in the 20 year warranty send it back as even if it's a simple fix, a full service would be a good things.

Daedalus, eelkiller and noname74 like this.
  4. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Some amps have additional fuses inside. Not sure about the Bryston. Unplug the power cord before touching any fuses.

noname74 likes this.
  5. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

My 3B ST had inline fuses inside the cover.

noname74 likes this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

IIRC the Bryston 4B has one external and two internal fuses.

D.D.

Simon A and motorcitydave like this.
  7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I like how everyone is like, no it can't be! Coming up with all kinds of solutions and explanations. Then in walks the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

krlpuretone likes this.
  8. Diamond Dog

Nobody is saying "No. it can't be " from what I can see. Everyone has made the same suggestion - check the fuses - which would be sensible before taking the amp in for service. Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread ?

D.D.

Simon A, acdc7369, tmtomh and 7 others like this.
  9. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Possibly a blown capacitor?

noname74 likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Maybe a spike in the power did it? If a surge protector wasn't used and that is what happened, Bryston will need to fix it.

11. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

First do the lights on the front come on red then cycle to green or has it gone completely dark? There is a master circuit breaker on the rear in the form of an on/off switch. Have you tried resetting it? Check you wires to be sure nothing has shorted (I have seen where dogs, cats and once a guy had a pet ferret have played with the wires causing issues). Disconnect the amp/pre connections and the speakers at the amp, then try turning it on. There are internal fuses. If they blow it indicates service is most likely needed. Oh try another wall outlet also.

tmtomh, noname74 and Diamond Dog like this.
  12. Diamond Dog

IF it's a fuse and the replacement fries as well, could be any one of a number of causes and that's when a qualified service person or a trip to the factory comes into the picture. I had a diode ( triode ? -can't remember ) fail on one of my amps and it started blowing fuses. I got it serviced locally for a lot less than it would have cost to ship it back to the factory which is in California. There's also the added excitement of entrusting Dread-Ex or OOPS with your gear for the trip to the factory and back.

D.D.

Dave, tmtomh and noname74 like this.
  13. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It's what we like to call a stab at comedy. But as it is with some folks, a clear stab in the dark.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My sincere sympathies, Shawn. Hope it's an inexpensive fix.

noname74 likes this.
  15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is a Bryston with a 20 year warranty, it should be 0$ Canadian funds.

Tim 2, motorcitydave, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  16. noname74

I swapped power cords, used different outlets, played with the circuit breaker etc. Basically all of the easy stuff. If it's a fuse I think I'll take advantage of their amazing warranty and let them check it and do a check on everything while they have it.

eddiel, tmtomh and Myke like this.
  17. noname74

Even if a fuse change allows it turn on I'll always be wondering when it's going to blow again so I'm thinking it's just as easy to bring it to my dealer and they'll ship it back for me etc as its well within the 20 year warranty...I'm sure they'll loan me something as well as they are that kind of store. Hell if they treat me right they might convince me to upgrade my BDA2 to a BDA3. :uhhuh:

18. noname74

I have one and everything else plugged into it stayed on.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just like Hoffy ! :laugh:

noname74 likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bryston should take care of this for you without hassle. They're a top notch company, who's warranty and customer service are the best in audio.

Dave, Tim 2, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  21. Diamond Dog

You will pay the freight and insurance to Bryston warranty or not unless your dealer is going to eat it for you. Bryston will pay the freight back on warranty repairs.. Been there, done that. If you ship it to them in something other than the original boxes, they'll pack it into replacement boxes and charge you for them before they ship it back to prevent damage by the shaved apes at the carriers.

D.D.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    McLover likes this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Your knife could use a little sharpening. Just sayin'....
    Thanks for coming out.

D.D.

Strat-Mangler and Simon A like this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They probably have some diamond series speakers with your name on them already. PM w question on shipping costs for the CM-10's to Inuvik. :agree:

noname74 likes this.
  24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

there you go...:)

McLover likes this.
  25. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I agree. Before buying my Bryston amp (new) and pre (used) I called them for info on various topics and found them friendly and informative. Give them a call and they will set up the return and confirm what options for repair and upgrade you have. Have your purchase date and serial number available and the dealer name. Keep us posted as to how it goes. Cheers

McLover, motorcitydave and noname74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.