Buck Owens Autographed Record, Help Please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katstep, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder Thread Starter

I scored this Buck Owens record for $4 the other day and I'm pretty sure it's authentic. I have no way of verifying the authenticity of the signatures of Buck and the Buckaroos, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. Any help with that from other collectors?
    Second, I searched Google and for the life of me, I could not find this title listed in any Buck Owens discography. After that I noticed the "Capitol Custom" logo. A search for that yielded zero too. I did find out that labels often did "custom" pressings in short runs for vanity projects, but saw no mention of Capitol's track record in this regard. Perhaps this was a fan club pressing or something they sold at concerts. Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Lastly, it's big thick heavy vinyl and a Capitol rainbow label, which places it in the late 60s, right? It's a very clean, nice sounding mono pressing, which made me very happy! :winkgrin:
    Any help with this would be appreciated! Thanks!!!:nauga:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

Some of the Buckeroos still play at Buck Owen's Crystal Palace in Bakersfield. If you have any business in that area you might try to see if any of them could authenticate the signatures. They usually play live on the weekends, but I don't recall how often. I saw Buddy Owens and some of the Buckeroos play there not too long ago.

3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I'm not familiar with this Buck album but it does use the same cover image as his "I've Got a Tiger By the Tail" album from 1965. It maybe from around that time. As for the signature, I see no reason for it to be a counterfeit.

4. katstep

Thanks for the quick replies! Keep 'em comin!

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm curious where you found it for $4.

6. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

"And here, with the great backing of his Buckaroos, Buck has prepared a special album of twelve of his biggest hits for those of you who come out to hear and see his incomparable country concerts."

No doubt this was an item sold at concerts.

7. katstep

At my local record store in Santa Rosa, Ca. It was in with a new arrival batch of other Buck Owens records (more Buck Owens records, quick, price 'em at $3.99). They clearly missed the fact that it was autographed. I went to buy it and asked if they thought it was autographed by the band and not just an owners scribble (all too common) and we all realized that it was likely the real deal, especailly with the signatures on the back. They were clearly dismayed that they had missed it. So it goes. Luckily these guys are my friends! :laugh:

8. katstep

Thanks Walter! Duh, I should have picked up on this. I guess that's where the "Capitol Custom" pressing becomes relevant.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have nothing to add other than that's pretty bitchen!

Retro Hound and artfromtex like this.
  10. katstep

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Capitol Records Custom became Capitol Records Special Markets. Lastly on vinyl CEMA Special Markets. Agree with the fact that it was sold at concerts. Interesting find with likely genuine signatures. Fact, before Buck hit it big, one of my uncles played in his early band pre "Under Your Spell Again"

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It's sweet, it would look great in a frame. But how would show the sigs on the back expecially Don Rich's.

13. katstep

How cool. Does your Uncle still play music?

14. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

Tom Brumley's son hosts a Tom Brumley page on Facebook. I would think he could be of help with his Dad's signature. FWIW, i think the closest thing to an original Buckaroo you'll find at The Crystal Palace is Buddy Alan, Buck's son. He peforms regularly.

15. katstep

Thanks chuckgay! I'll have to check that out.

16. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Photocopy the back cover and frame it with the album. I would probably photocopy both sides of the album as ball point pens tend to fade over time if it catches any sunlight. Also, Don Rich's autograph is far more rare than Buck's as he died in 1974.

Retro Hound likes this.
  17. katstep

I'm a photographer, so I'll likely photograph/scan both sides and enlarge them for framing. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to expose the ball point signatures to light. Also, I don't want this record stuck in a frame, I wanna be able to play it. This mono pressing sounds sweet!

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My late uncle is no longer with us who played in the pre-Capitol lineup.

19. katstep

Sorry to hear that, McLover.:(

20. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

i have one too. it was sold at buck owen's shows in the 60's. i'm pretty sure all the signatures are authentic. it is capitol recordings put on this lp for that purpose.

21. katstep

Thanks for the info, hipster006!

22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

The autographs look to real to not be real!

I'd say it's real. Why not. It just looks real. It's got the look. And who would be faking Buck Owens?

I'd say you scored real nice!!

23. katstep

I guess this about sums it up. Who would be faking Buck Owens? :laugh: It's not like it's an autographed White Album or Sticky Fingers. Thanks bluesky!

24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I have the LP too. Bought it used. No autographs.

25. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I found this LP last week at a record store - also for $4! It's signed on the back by all (Doyle, Tom, Willie, Don) except for Buck Owens - the signatures appear to be authentic as they're similar to the photos above.

katstep likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.