"Buckingham Nicks"--When, If Ever?....*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, I admit - I think I've finally grown terminally weary of waiting and hoping that we will ever have a proper remaster/reissue.

What say you? -- is it finally just a hopeless wet dream? - or should I shut up and be patience?

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Don't know if it is truly hopeless. But I do know that the bootleggers beat them to it a long ago. By the time an official release comes out most of the people who give a crap and might have bought it will be too old to care.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's about 10 years too late. Already a few decent attempts have come out and they're perfectly fine to lean on in times of historical curiosity.

The vinyl is usually good too.

4. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

The master tapes are shot, their was an official release of one of the songs on some compilation called Enchanted a few years ago and the full cd got released as some limited promo as well and the DLedin and Galemark Deluxe LP-RIP blows it away.

Seriously they should just take the DLedin and Galemark LP-RIP and release it as there is no way the masters in their current state will even come close to how good it sounds.

markshan likes this.
  5. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I'm relatively new to this subject, although I must admit I've heard an unofficial version of this album, but is there a reason it hasn't been released on CD? Do Buckingham and Nicks have the rights? It would seem to be a no-brainer, particularly if they'd done it two decades ago....

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Both in creative rights and licensing, there's both artistic and legal reasons.

Plus, I seriously think they both don't have any interest in making paper go from one side of the table to the other over B/N.

It's a neat album. I like it. I wouldn't pay $35 for someone to put it back out on vinyl or buy a CD.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Does it even matter at this point? I know that not everyone has a needle drop setup, but things have come a long way from say twenty years back.

I remember waiting for re-issues of several LP's for many years (not this one, but a few others in my collection), and then one day i realized that I could just do it myself. I'm actually at the point now where, if a CD re-issue came out for these few LP's I have, I wouldn't even buy them now. For me at least, that window has closed.

It's one of the reasons I bought a turntable, last year -- gives me more control over this versus waiting endlessly. :(

762rob and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The perennial excuse is that they want to release it but they don't think they have the time right now to promote it properly. After all these years, that explanation might be ringing a little hollow.

9. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I bought it for the cover. Then I played it. I really like the cover.

10. I might guess that the hold-up is Stevie Nicks. She doesn't sound anywhere near that good anymore, and the comparison might be unflattering toward her newer material.

11. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I did the exact same as you.

12. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I'm at the point where I don't care anymore.

13. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Actually, I could still see this being considered for some future release - if even for download-only. Fleetwood Mac - with Buckingham and Nicks in the fold - are still a going concern (or have been quite recently). And in spite of some collections like The Chain, they haven't really been "Anthologized" properly as a band yet.

I must have been one of the last people on the planet to have heard this album - albiet through an "unofficial source" (though I have seen used vinyl copies floating around for years and just never bit....). What struck me hearing it for the first time was how similar the overall production of the Buckingham Nicks LP sounded to the first Fleetwood Mac album from 1975. Keith Olson seems to have trailblazed the "hit sound" years before Buckingham and Nicks joined up with Fleetwood Mac. Maybe the songwriting isn't as strong, but the historical significance of this LP to the Fleetwood Mac saga cannot be denied.

Of course, all of this has been known about forever, except by me. I actually kinda liked this record! :hide:
    ------ Chris

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not me. I bought it for the cover and didn't bother to play it :evil:

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I really like this Record. Had a few copies, one cut by RL. Both sounded great. The needle drop gets played a lot.

Pat

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think they waited about 10 years too late or so. I've got the LP and two copies of the 8 track, I'm ok. It sounds great in all formats.

17. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought it was the holy grail for us Nicks and Buckingham fans....then I played it....once.

18. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

wow, surprised to see not that much love for this album. i love it!

MiracleAndWonder likes this.
  19. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Yep, Lindsay still looks so young and fresh on the cover doesn't he, and he's topless! :laugh:

Actually, I don't mind this album. If you like Fleetwood mac s/t I don't see how you wouldn't like it. I spin the vinyl every so often even though its an Oz pressing (on Polydor) it still sounds OK. No need for a re-issue for me.

20. JeffCullen

JeffCullen Well-Known Member

:righton:

Someone started a thread earlier called "I wanna be Peter Tork"...

F that, I want to be Lindsey Buckingham circa 1973!

tedg65 likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Do your own needledrop or find a boot.

22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Funny enough Columbia thought the same thing about Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes. And were they surprised when sales went through the roof.

23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

When I learned what a needledrop was on this here forum, this album is the first one I applied that knowledge to. Sounds great. Those of you that bought it for the cover and never listened (or only listened once) should revisit it. It's a great album.

24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I was kidding - I'm sure I listened to at least one side at least once. It didn't make much of an impression, but I'm not a fan of their era of Fleetwood Mac, either. Frankly, the three or four copies I've had have all been strictly to resell, because I'm a mercenary and like eating and living inside. It used to sell pretty well, but now it's got to be up there with the butcher cover as the most common "rare" record around - on any given week there will be 40-50 copies available on eBay and that's every week, they don't come and go.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

It's a great album and as long as I have the vinyl I am good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.