"Buckingham Nicks"--When, If Ever?....*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, whatever the source is, it certainly isn't from vinyl and also sounds too clean to be a transfer from a cassette copy or an 8-track copy. It was released on both of these formats as well. IMO the (supposed) master tape copy sounds better than any vinyl rip I've heard of this album, and I've heard a fair few. I was actually told how the master tape copy got in to the public domain, although I'm not going to say how or where on this forum, but I have it on good authority that the master tapes were used.

2. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

The other complication is that there is no label deal for "Buckingham Nicks". I'm sure there are labels that would be interested in doing a deal to reissue the BN album on CD, but the contractual pain involved in working out a joint deal with those two would likely be more trouble than its worth and I wouldn't be surprised if Nicks and Buckingham have come to the same conclusion.

But I'm surprised they haven't approached or been approached about offering BN as a paid download through iTunes or one of the hi-rez sites. I would think that might be an easier deal to strike, bypassing the major labels.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

HDTracks would be perfect for audiophiles, iTunes for everyone else.

4. I'd look for UMG to set a deal with Stevie and Lindsey for this long-missing title...the original album was released on Polygram back in the day and this was part of that catalog, which they now own...plus, if it's distributed by them, it could be released as a high resolution blu-ray audio disc...

5. Music Fan

Music Fan Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to think that the Buckingham Nicks album is already remastered and ready to go. "Crying in the Night" was to be included on Stevie's 1998 Enchanted box set, according to the track listing that ICE originally printed. It later turned out to be "Long Distance Winner." I doubt that they remastered just a handful of tracks from BN at the time. They probably did the whole thing.

6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Assuming you're referring to the 21 tracks version, I agree. I don't really care if this comes out on CD since
    this version is absolutely perfect, and is all I need.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't know where you got your information, but I got mine straight from Keith Olsen's mouth ... And he said Stevie Nicks alone owns the masters.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

But Lindsay Buckingham owns Stevie Nicks. So in the end they both own the masters.

9. Grant

Its been reported repeatedly that they both own them. That is why Lindsay Buckingham must be involved in the process. Keith Olsen could have been mistaken or just misspoke. I don't know how Stevie would be the sole owner if both parties were involved in the creation of that album. Granted, Buckingham wrote, or co-wrote some of the songs, but I doubt that would be the hold-up.

Again, if it were up to Stevie alone, we would have seen the album reissued a decade ago. Trust me on that! She has made it abundantly clear that she wants the album out, and has stated that Lindsay is part of the process.

10. Grant

Where did you get that from?

11. Grant

As stated earlier in the thread, the album has been transferred to digital again this year. That could mean anything. But, it is not "in the can", as it still must be mastered and assembled.

There are two mixes of "Crying In The Night": the album version, and the remixed single version. I prefer the album mix.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

According to Olsen (again, a decade back), Stevie Nicks attributes the hold up to "Lindsey want[ing] to remix the album" and otherwise fudge with it ... and she was going to allow him to do so as a courtesy. Olsen was adamant about Stevie Nicks being the sole owner of the album's masters.

13. Grant

There has to come a time when Stevie says "Enough!". The two get along today, but they do have a strange relationship, and Lindsay seems to be a loose cannon, judged by history. Piss him off, and that could screw things up for Fleetwood Mac.

Maybe we need to flood Nick's management with calls, letters, and emails.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Agreed.
    We would've had a new Fleetwood Mac album this year if Stevie had gotten with the program.

15. Grant

I haven't been following that, but I was under the impression from a interview I heard last spring that she is all for the album. She's down for anything.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well, that's news to me.

The other three had pretty much recorded an album's worth of songs and left space for Stevie to add her own songs and overdub vocals onto the completed takes after her tour for IN YOUR DREAMS ended ... but she was very vocal about how "nobody buys albums anymore" and refused to join in.

I hope you're right and she's seen the light because the Fleetwood Mac EXTENDED PLAY download is really, really good.

17. Grant

After some quick digging, it does indeed seem like she's changed her tune since. Too bad for us, but it seems like she is also short-sighted about how to market albums. Today it's about downloads. I didn't even realize she had an album out earlier this year.

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

If her opinion is no one buys albums that could explain why the B/N album has not happened.

19. rockclassics

I can believe that Lindsey wants to remix it and this could be the hold up. She probably has to approve whatever he might do to it.

I also wonder if this album is a thorn to one of them and the other is using it to get to the other. Who knows how their relationship with each other really is these days.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's what I think too. I mean, realistically, how many people would buy this reissue?: 10,000 people; probably even less. To Stevie and Lindsey, this is likely too small of an amount to even bother about. They are used to BIG money, and this definitely won't reap them any large sums. It'll turn a profit on that amount, but not a profit that they are used to. Unfortunately, that should not be a reason to not release the album.

Arnie

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

From an interview with Keith Olsen circa 2000:

Hello, what exactly is holding up the CD reissue of the Buckingham Nicks that all Fleetwood Mac want to have in their collections ? If it is reissued on CD will you be remastering it ? Thanks for all of your great productions especially, the Fleetwood Mac (white) album. (Steve Elliott, Arlington, Virginia, USA)

Lindsey and Stevie now own the rights to Buckingham Nicks... they bought it back from Polydor/polygram etc etc... The label in the beginning thought that the album lacked imagination... but by contract they had to release it... nice eh? What a wonderful business this is... I hope they (Lindsey and Stevie) will re release it soon... I'll get on their collective case about it...! I guess I have the only CD in the world.. I pulled out the masters over a year ago, baked them to re-adhere the oxide to the backing, then built a master digital from it... it took me back so many years.

22. rockclassics

You're right. It won't sell like a Fleetwood Mac album would. Unfortunately the needle droppers beat them on this one years ago. Anyone who has really wanted it on CD already has it. A few like us would re-buy an official release without hesitation.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In this day and age, I don't even think a brand new Fleetwood Mac album would sell much more either. The ship has sailed in general for most acts, regardless of quality. Arnie

24. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I believe Lindsay is the primary blocker when it comes to why BN hasn't been reissued on CD. He's said over and over through the last decade that it needs a context, that he doesn't just want to throw it out there, that he wants a reason for the reissue and a plan to promote it. Now that brings me to Stevie - I think Lindsey wants to record a BN2 - I think Lindsey has also made it pretty clear that he'd like to do a small tour with Stevie to promote both the BN reissue and any new material they record for either a BN2 or a bonus disc for the reissue. I suspect that Stevie doesn't want to record any new BN material, and that she also has no intention of going out on the road with *just* Lindsey. Stevie is uncomfortable without her entourage, especially her backing vocalists Sharon and Lori. If Stevie won't agree to the context, or to the promotion that Lindsey wants, then Lindsey will not agree to the reissue. And that, folks, is just the way these two work. it takes an act of God and the movement of mountains to get them in agreement. Being a fan of either one, both in and out of the context of Fleetwood Mac, is incredibly frustrating.

25. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

That's where I'm at. I finally tracked this one down on youtube last year to give it a listen. I thought it was pretty good but it didn't speak to me the way the FM albums of their era do, or the way Lindsey's solo work does. But still, if this were released I'd buy a copy out of respect and give it another shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.