"Buckingham Nicks"--When, If Ever?....*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I might of misread the Twitter comment. Lotus Mastering say they are preserving and digitizing the analog master tapes, although a bit rate and sample rate aren't mentioned.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have it on good (anonymous) authority that this album was actually mastered a decade ago for release, but was held back because the label didn't actually own the copyright, and that Lindsay and Stevie did.

A couple of years later, Rhino had it on their release schedule as reported by ICE Magazine at the time. The date came and went and no CD materialized. This was after Warner and Rhino went into partnership. I know because I used to highlight the CDs I wanted to buy with a yellow marker and wanted anxiously to buy it.

3. Was that during the same time that Rhino/Warner reissued the first three Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac albums? They were released in 2004. Maybe the original plan was to re-release Buckingham Nicks at the same time to coincide with the FM reissues.

4. It tweeted Lotus Mastering to ask them what bit rate and sample rate they used during the transfer. They did a digital transfer of the analogue master tapes at 24bit/192kHz WAV. I'm not sure but I would guess (judging by their Facebook comment) that this was just a flat transfer and they haven't gone through any mastering process at this point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Can't believe it's been that long and we still don't have Mirage/Tango and B/N in deluxe editions already.

6. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'm glad I was able to find a clean vinyl copy about 2 weeks ago at my local record store. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

7. Grant

No, it was a bit before that.

8. Grant

Correct. When an archival transfer is done, no attempt at mastering is made. What they want is a straight copy of the tape.

9. An interesting article here posted by the Steve Nicks Info website on Monday 18th November 2013 about a possible re-issue, although it doesn't confirm a re-issue is on its way.

The 2-track master tapes have been backed up by Lotus Mastering to 24bit/192kHz. I messaged Lotus Mastering on Twitter and asked them what bite rate and sample size they were transferred to. They also told me that it was a flat transfer. They haven't done anything with the multitrack tapes though.

Could this be the one? I won't be holding out too much hope until I see a pre-order date on Amazon.

http://stevie-nicks.info/2013/09/18/buckingham-nicks-reissue-in-the-works/

10. Grant

I give it another five years.:sigh:

11. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Hope they use the same LP cover.

Todd W., reb, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  12. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Lindsey Buckingham was on the first episode of Sky Art's new music talk show last week. "Buckingham Nicks" was highlighted first with him playing a section from "Stephanie". The answer to the inevitable question when the album might come out was something along the lines of "we've been talking about it for 30 years, so maybe". Lindsey didn't look as though he believed it would happen anytime soon.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I'd buy it, if they were naked.

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

There's so many great vinyl rips "out there" that I gave up really hoping or caring if this would ever come out on CD...

15. Dunk

Dunk Member

With photos taken in 2013?

16. Well, there is one REALLY GREAT rip out there.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Hella yeah.

When will the long national side-boob nightmare end?

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Keith Olsen told me, personally, back in the early 2000s, BUCKINGHAM NICKS is all set to go, plus a 5.1 mix was done. He said Stevie Nicks owns the master.

19. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'm going with " never" . There is something holding it up that appears to not be possible to rectify. Weather it's the artists, record company whatever. It is to my ears a record that has not lost it's relevance after all these years. Timeless. I'll enjoy my lp and needle drops...

20. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Bingo

21. There's a flat transfer from the master tapes floating around as well. You just have to look in the right places in Cyberspace.

22. At least either the record company and/or the artists are taking the time to do a digital high resolution back-up. They must've felt that there was a valid reason for doing this. If the record company and/or the artist really didn't care about this album they may not of bothered to do this back-up.

23. Grant

Both she and Buckingham jointly own the masters. That's why it's been held up. If it were all up to Stevie, we would have had it in digital by now.

24. Grant

Yup.:agree:

25. Well, that's what it purports to be, but frankly how can you know what the real source is? In any event, the Deluxe Edition vinyl rip sounds better, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.