Buddy Holly Questions for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

I just picked up "For The First Time Anywhere". Certainly interesting, but it doesn't seem to quite have the same "magic" that FTOMT has. The notes mention "Transferred from the original 1955-1958 Master Tapes", but the quality seems a tad lacking in places, and Brown Eyed Handsome Man and (especially) Bo Diddley seem to be taken from disc.

What's the story behind this one, Steve?

Also, you've mentioned that for FTOMT, the Norman Petty sessions were "perfect" and were simply flat transfers. Well, what about the other stuff, from Bradley's Barn, Bell Sound, and the Pythian Temple? Did those require more work?

2. feinstein

feinstein Member

Probably one of the best investments you could make is to pickup a copy of the MCA "Heavy Vinyl" "Buddy Holly" from a few years ago. Not only is the packaging absolutely superb, but the sound is great too. In fact, I prefer the LP to the "From the Original Master Tapes" CD, especially on the acoustic tracks ("Everyday"). I think that this LP is still widely available from the high-end LP mail order sources.

BTW: Even though the LP states that it was "digitally remastered", I have been assured that it is actually analogue mastered.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Luke:

I'm not Steve (needless to say), but the 2 tracks that you singled out for mention were overdubbed by Norman Petty, prior to their (posthumous) release.... what Steve has given us is the raw master that Petty used for each... which are indeed sourced from acetates.

You can even hear some of the same pops and tics in Petty's finished version, if you listen hard enough... particularly in "Brown Eyed Handsome Man".

-Kevin

4. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if there is an audible difference between the Japanese and later US releases of Buddy Holly's "From The Original Master Tapes"? I just saw a new/sealed one @ eBay that is catalog no. MCABD 5540. Thanks

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Ralpho, do a search on "buddy" or "holly" in the archives and you'll find that this has been discussed at great length on several occasions.

In summary the answer is basically "no".

Also don't buy it on ebay. I think you'll get much it cheaper at www.absound.ca.

6. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

Thanks for the Link and the info peter! Wow A&B Sound prices are excellent! :righton: Looks like this one's Out-of-Stock for now :(

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.