Buddy Holly

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash1, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Buddy Holly was my first real introduction to the world of rock music. I'm 37 years old. My Mom was born in 1945. Buddy Holly to this day is her favorite musician of all time (well, besides me, but that is out of obligation!). I clearly remember sitting in front of the old stereo we had at home and listening to her Buddy Holly tapes. I knew every inch of tape held in those little cassettes. That music, and the music of the other rock pioneers that she loved so much, was every bit as exciting to me as the current music that I heard from my older sisters. Even more exciting, honestly. While I don't wish to be 72 years old at this point in time, I do find myself incredibly envious of my Mom for growing up in that era. She was the prime age for the first era of rock music and was lucky enough to experience that phenomenon first hand. I just can't fathom it. Hearing Buddy, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. on the radio when their music was brand new. Seeing them on Ed Sullivan and other television shows in real time. It's just amazing to me.

Many thanks to my Mom and of course, to Buddy Holly for being my introduction into the art form that has enriched my life in so many ways. Nothing brings me the same joy. I still grin from ear to ear and get goosebumps when I hear Buddy kick off "Rave On" in that unmistakable voice.

jparis51, ash1, alan967tiger and 7 others like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The changes/inaccuracies in The Buddy Holly Story appear to be done for four broad reasons:
    1. To generate fake conflict (I guess this would fall under the misguided purview of "making it entertaining"): Holly's parents and pastor opposing his career choice, Holly punching Owen Bradley, the drummer character being a hotheaded jerk with some racist tendencies
    2. To simplify things: The elimination of "extraneous" Crickets like Sonny Curtis and Niki Sullivan, Holly playing with an orchestra on his final tour, his family's name being listed as "Holly"
    3. To avoid being sued by Norman Petty: Rather than address the controversy surrounding Petty (and risk him suing them), they decided to eliminate him entirely from the story. Thus we get claims that Holly produced himself, and the ridiculous notion that he split from the Crickets because he wanted to move to New York and they didn't. Ironically, the Petty stuff could have given them lots of real, genuine conflict for the story (rather than the fictional conflicts they ginned up) but they were afraid to touch it.
    4. Laziness: Holly playing anachronous guitars, mountains being visible on the Lubbock horizon

3. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

Buddy Holly :righton:

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

And there was Carl Perkins and Bo Diddley too...

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Extraneous" Crickets---what a concept![/QUOTE]

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

For all it's faults and consistencies, it got his music to a new audience

Darryl

gotblues likes this.
  7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

That Otis Redding photo haunts me to this day.

8. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Check out "The Real Buddy Holly Story" if you get a chance, great documentary and set's straight a lot of the inaccuracies in the movie. I'm lucky enough to live only a couple hours from Clear Lake and was able to attend the Winter Dance Party this year, definitely recommended to anyone who is able to next year, it was a really good time.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You lucky guys... Nowadays this box set costs 100 bucks and upwards.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    joejoe likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, it must have been amazingly powerful because of the contrast between rock 'n' roll and the regular, established music just prior to and alongside it.

gotblues likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I watched the new documentary that was shown on BBC4 on Friday - very well done.

I find it so sad I always cry at the 'end' - really bad on this one as they had his brother on crying as well. Very moving.

gotblues likes this.
  12. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

Most music biopics are terrible, in my opinion, the Holly one being probably the worst. Your list could go on forever. The most dreadful scene to me was the first session for Decca in Nashville where Bradley supposedly pushed a bluegrass band on Buddy. Totally invented by the screenwriter. It insulted Buddy, it insulted Bradley, and insulted reality.

What is so appalling is that they could have invented a few dramatic scenes without any alteration to the real story.

starduster, qwerty and beccabear67 like this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I understand that film had a very tight budget. Not excusing or rationalizing any of the inaccuracies, and Busey's performance just seemed kind of... strange to me. But somehow it conveyed a semblance of what made Buddy great.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

There's lots of good stuff, even on the first 'semi-professional' cuts. This just rocks:

gotblues, clhboa and SteveFff like this.
  15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I enjoy the film for what it is. Like most biopics it's somewhat based on real events. Buses performance is strong.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

starduster and SteveFff like this.
  17. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Jorma Kaukonen has an original tune, "Roads and Roads &" where he uses the phrase "well, all right" repeatedly and pointedly.
    While not a direct homage to Buddy, it certainly evokes him, and it's a really nice song - electric on Barbecue King and acoustic on Jorma.

P.S. As I was typing, the "Love Is Strange" post appeared above, and on the Barbecue King album, "Roads" ends side 1 and Jorma's version of "Love Is Strange" begins side 2.
    This is a happy coincidence. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  18. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I didn't think I'd find this but here is Jorma's "Roads and Roads &", with the "Well All Right" chorus.

19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Beating an old horse...enjoyed the film when it opened. The rollerskating bit was filmed in East Pasadena at the Moonlight Rollerway, an actual working rink. Never remember live music there. Building today is an upscale Scandinavian furniture store.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

His performance never struck me as strange. It's a strong, charismatic performance. It's kind of hard now to separate that from the bizarre, grotesque human cartoon character Busey has become, but at the time he was a serious actor.

905 and clhboa like this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That is one of the best documentaries ever! One of my favourites. Watched it hundreds of times!
    This same set was available in Australia on the 'Readers Digest' label. I havn't done any research on it, but I remember
    it sounded pretty darn good. I wonder if the same/similar stampers were used? was this 'RD' edition available elsewhere?
    I got my copy here, if anyone is interested in knowing more about it.

DRM likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agreed! The Real Buddy Holly Story is very well done and well worth watching for anyone who has even a passing interest in Buddy and/or his music.

24. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Are you sure it cost that much ? I have just bought one two weeks ago on discogs, the original UK 6 lp box, NM records with HTM in the dead wax, complete with the book and the inserts for 30 euros (36 euros with the sending costs), and indeed it's fabulous sounding and the book, photos, text annotations and discography were prefiguring what we can find now in a bear family box set...

Shaker Steve likes this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this is the version I have, not my picture..
    [​IMG]

gotblues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.