Buddy Holly

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash1, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I am (or was) very sure, because back when I posted my reply this box set costed more than 100 dollars, even on Discogs.
    And I never saw any bargain related to this. I don't always believe that prices change so quickly, so this is surprising to me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

There are a few on discogs at the moment between 25 and 50 euros, one in Holland (24 euros) and one in Germany (45 euros) and some in UK between those prizes...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm broke at the moment, but I will keep an eye on this, thanks.

0476pearljam likes this.
  4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

59 years ago today...
    [​IMG]

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Watched a DVD of The Real Buddy Holly Story yesterday, that doc is over 30 years old now, but it is really a lovely portrait of the actual people who worked with Buddy in the 50s. Missing a few key players but I’m glad those interviews were captured when they were. The DVD picture quality was a bit low as it was edited on video.

Has the BBC4 doc been released on home video?

AnalogJ, Aftermath and sloaches like this.
  6. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Wow, I bought this box set 9th Jan 1980 from my local record shop, £14-50, a lot of money for me at that time but I just had to have it. The large booklet that came with it is a treasure trove of info & I wouldn't part with it for a gold clock, as the saying goes.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

In case anyone is interested, there is a new CD coming out next month (16/11/18) of Buddy & the London Symphony Orchestra, 12 tracks. Just like previous CD's with Elvis, Roy Orbison, Beach Boys etc. You can pre-order it on Amazon UK.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Just love his voice on Heartbeat, It's been in my head since I was a teen in the 50s,

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

just heard the new versions True love ways and Everyday in iTunes and they sound great !

Shaker Steve likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Other than maybe True Love Ways and Raining In My Heart which I'd love to hear,
    here we go again.... it'll most likely be a 'NO THANKS', i'll stick to the good stuff.

Dan33185 and melstapler like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

If you ever find yourself traveling through or by Clovis, New Mexico,
    You must see The Norman Petty Recording Studio.

Very cool to visit, they even let me touch the controls.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Has this documentary ever been released on DVD?

Good to see Niki Sullivan, the lost Cricket.

melstapler and greelywinger like this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Late response here, but yeah, the tour is indeed great. In the main studio, they have the amp Buddy used on his tours.

alchemy and melstapler like this.
  14. fvenom21

fvenom21 Active Member

I know I am late on this discussion. I am researching Buddy Holly's music in the chronical (or close enough) order he recorded it for a post-production radio show. I am having a bit of trouble and if anyone that can point me in the right direction would be helpful. I will paste what I have thus far to show where I am currently. Any advice, correction or otherwise is much appreciated.

· “You and I are Through (Early 1955 KDAV Studio Demo)”

· “Down The Line (June 7th, 1955 KDAV Studio Demo)”

· “Love Me” (December 7th, 1955 KDAV Studio Demo)”

· “Midnight Shift (January 26th 1956, Decca Studio Nashville)

· “Blue Days Black Nights (January 26th 1956, Decca Studio Nashville)”

· “Baby Won't You Come Out Tonight (February-April 1956 Norman Petty Studios)

· “I’m Gonna Set My Foot Right Down ((February-April 1956 Norman Petty Studios)

· “Rock A-bye Rock (February-April 1956 Norman Petty Studios)

· “Rock Around With Ollie Vee (November 15th, 1956 Owen Bradley Studios Nashville)

· “Good Rockin Tonight (Early December 1956 Home Recording)

· Holly Hop (Late December 1956 Home Recording)

· “That’ll Be The Day ( February 25th, 1957 Clovis Session Norman Petty Studio)”

· “ I’m Looking For Someone To Love ( February 25th, 1957 Clovis Session Norman Petty Studio)”

· “Maybe Baby (March 12th 1957 Norman Petty Studio)

· “Words of Love (April 8th 1957 Clovis Norman Petty Studio)”

· “Not Fade Away ( May 27th, 1957 Clovis Norman Petty Studios)

· “Everyday ( May 27th, 1957 Clovis Norman Petty Studios)

· “Peggy Sue ( May 27th, 1957 Clovis Norman Petty Studios)

· “Oh Boy ( July 1957 Clovis Norman Petty Studios)

· Ed Sullivan Show Dec 1957 That’ll be the day

· Ed Sullivan Show Peggy Sue 1958

· You're So Square Clovis Norman Petty Studios December 19th, 1957

· Rave On 1958

· Well Alright 1958

· Take your time 1958

· Think it Over 1958

Thanks,

Frank

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Here's one session I don't see:

The Officer's Club Lounge @ Tinker US Air Force Base (Oklahoma City, OK) - 09/30/57
    'An Empty Cup (and a Broken Date)'
    'Rock Me My Baby'
    'You've Got Love'
    'Maybe Baby'

For the rest, check Remembering Buddy by John Goldrosen and John Beecher[/QUOTE]

16. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Buddy Holly was a Giant (pun intended). Losing him was rock's greatest tragedy, given his age and how great his impact had already been up to the time of his death.

My favorites:
    'Maybe Baby' - the Crickets
    'Words of Love' - solo

jparis51, OneStepBeyond and django68 like this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

For Buddy Holly and The Crickets' 12/57 Ed Sullivan Show appearance, they performed both "That'll Be The Day" and "Peggy Sue".
    IIRC, that was Niki Sullivan's last public performance as a Cricket.

For their 03/58 Ed Sullivan Show appearance, they were down to Buddy, Jerry Allison, and Joe B. Mauldin and they performed "Oh Boy!" as their only song that night. (They did not perform "Peggy Sue" on Ed Sullivan's show in 1958.)

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice. going to some his music on right now.

19. fvenom21

fvenom21 Active Member

Thank you for the correction. Do we know if the Sunday Night at the London Palladium 2nd March 1958 audio was in fact recorded, I noticed a youtube video of it and didn't know the legitimacy about it.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

That's the one where they perform "That'll Be The Day", "Oh Boy!", and "Peggy Sue" correct? (Although I don't remember if that's the order in which they did them.) IIRC, that appearance was indeed taped, but I think it may have been by a fan taping it off the television with an old reel-to-reel recorder back in 1958. I'd have to go dig it out, but I'm pretty close to positive that appearance is on the CD called "Buddy Holly-Off the Record".

If you don't own it already, I'd recommend the "Buddy Holly-Off the Record" CD to you-It has a lot of live stuff by Buddy/The Crickets in the '50s, including a live version of "Maybe Baby" from English TV, and a snippet of "Everyday" live when they were in Florida in 1958 (when they were on tour with The Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee Lewis).

It's on Rollercoaster Records out of the UK, and IIRC, it's owned/operated by longtime/well known Buddy Holly fan John Beecher. Rollercoaster had a website at one time, it may still be functioning, but I can't say for sure as it's been a long time since I would have looked at it (and I never bookmarked it). If their website doesn't exist any longer, I'm sure Amazon.com or eBay or somebody like that would have it.

21. Grand_Ennui

22. Their 10" vinyl sets are highly recommended. By the way in case anyone doesn't already know this, Jerry Allison was a partner in Rollercoaster Records along with the aforementioned John Beecher

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I believe this was produced by Paul McCartney.

24. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Narrated on camera by Macca.

25. clasher

clasher Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.