Budget Phono Preamp Recommedations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jordanb87, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

I'm using the Behringer pre-amp on my set up...I have nothing to compare it to but it sounds pretty decent to me

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I'd first address my pitch frustrations on the p3-24 (see other thread) before wasting time with external phono stages. The TC-8050's phono stage is of reported high quality, certainly good enough for a DL-110, so what is it you are seeking to improve about it? Or do you just want to spend money on something?

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I like my Parasound Zphono (I think I paid $149)...but if I ever needed to change, I'd probably pop for a Hagerman Bugle.

4. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of course, of course. This is just a thread that I started so that when I'm ready to buy a phono preamp, I have some advice and ideas.

I have not heard that my receiver's phono stage is of reported high quality. Is there a source you could point me to?

And yes. I just have a crying need to hemorrhage money on things all the time. Geez...

5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

It's certainly good enough for the cart you are using. And things get silly when you are attacking problems u don't have before hitting the areas where you do.

6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Jasmine found on eBay. Unbeatable in the $500price range IMHO.

7. thinker10

thinker10 Forum Resident

You will need a high overload margin especially if using Ortofon 2M cartridge or higher output cartridge

I think 10 times the the output is what to look for.

I would go with a least 55 mv

The 2M Red/Blue are 5.5 mv at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec , but some test are made at 3,54cm/sec that will give higher numbers

Thanks

8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

With that Onkyonu seriously doubt a $500 phono stage does you a damn but of good. Put the phono stage last on your list!

9. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

spot on. I picked up a P-75 on Audiogon for $500 US - they retail here for $900. its one hell of a phono stage for that price!

10. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

+1

11. jordanb87

I should note that when my current cartridge (the DL-110) wears out, I will be upgrading, possibly to a low-output MC cartridge, which would require a pre-amp.

Again, I am not "attacking" this "problem" of a phono pre-amp -- I am merely thinking ahead and gathering suggestions so that I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

Your suggestions have been noted.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You just bought the cart, right? It'll be a long time before it wears out.

13. jordanb87

Yes, it's two months old. And yes, I know it will be awhile.

The Hawk likes this.
  14. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

there's nothing wrong with looking forward to your next purchase Jordan, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

jordanb87 and The Hawk like this.
  15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Sure but in do believe that he's got a lot of life left in that cart to be worried about the next one... Prior to addressing his issues detailed in that other thread. But no big deal I suppose.

16. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I'll add that the Trichord Dino MKII is quite nice. Built in Britain and extremely adjustable.

17. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Interesting. I didn't realise the cap loading did nothing for MCs.

I'm running a Musical Fidelity V-LPS with V-PSU with Ortofon MC 15 Super II.
    Nothing wrong with it except I was wondering about getting something adjustable.
    What sort of effect to MCs do the available 'Input Impedance' adjustments on the Phonobox S make?
    Specs here: http://www.analogueseduction.net/project-phono-stages/PHONOBXS/action/add/

Was going to make a thread on this V-LPS to Phonobox S idea but will see comments here first.

thanks.

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am also enjoying the V-PSU + V-LPS combo. It was a bit too loud when used with a 5.5 mv MM cart but now with a SUMIKO EVO BPS view;_ylt=A0PDoSwulRdRvHUARtM1CQx.jpeg view;_ylt=A0PDoSwulRdRvHUASdM1CQx.jpeg view;_ylt=A0PDoSwulRdRvHUAStM1CQx.jpeg III HOMC at 2.5 mv it is just right. so I'd check a cart in the 2.5 to 3.5 mv output range for that. A good alternative not mentioned so far is Lehmann Audio Black box for 350..
    Upgradable with a better power supply, good build + sound quality, , has the option of different loadings below
    check

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

^
    Baron , I preferred the V-PSU + V-LPS with lower output carts too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.