Budget TT: Technics sl 1700 or Thorens TD 166 ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stan94, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member Thread Starter

I currently own a Technics and I'm on the fence about getting a used Thorens. I don't want to get a TD 125 as it seems these tables require a lot of servicing to operate satisfactorily. A less expensive TD 166 Mk2 is an option, as is a TD 115. Maybe a TD 160 if I can get one for a good price, but I'm not counting on it. Whaddya think?

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] I can vouch for the TD166 MKII, sounds wonderful with an Ortifon Blue.
    Never had an issue with it, and it's beautiful to look at IMHO.
    I am the second owner of this one.

3. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

If you can get a a"budget" thorens in good shape then that without a doubt. The secondary market for Thorens has gotten completely out of hand.

Ghostworld and misterclean like this.
  4. I personally love the Thorens belt drive suspended tables. I guess the real question here might be..why are you contemplating leaving the Technics DD world?

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have a TD166 MKII, and have experience with the MCS (Technics made) version of the 1700.

The performance of the Thorens will largely depend on the cartridge you intend to use. A Thorens will sound different, but not necessarily better than the Technics. It will take more effort to properly set up as well.

Vintage Thorens tables can vary quite a bit within the same model and version. For instance, most TD-166 MKIIs have a 7mm platter spindle, but they sold some MKIIs with a 10mm spindle, like the one found on the TD-160. There's also a few different tonearm/ headshell combinations. Some are more cartridge friendly than others. Most of the tonearms are low mass, so they work best with higher compliance carts.

A standard TD-166 in proper working condition can compete with most new tables in the $400 to $800 range IMO.

My TD166: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I have a Thorens TD-150MKII (original arm not utilized) as well as all my Technics. It does and will take quite a bit more fettling (more than any of my Technics) to have it running like a top; but, I'm looking forward to it. It's a different presentation; all things considered, neither better nor worse. Fortunately, I do not have to choose one or the other. It doesn't sound like you have to either. So, run both... ...and have a blast! :D

Balthazar likes this.
  7. Stan94

No reason really, I want to try something different. I saw a TD 160 super with a Grace G 707 arm on our local Craigslist for a reasonable price. Also some TD 166 Mk2 for €200. It's just for fun. Also my dad used to own a TD 104 that worked well so it makes me nostalgic.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MCS never made the equivalent of the SL-1700, MCS made the equivalent of the SL-Q2 which was the best MCS DD offering (Technics built). Which is very nice itself, but the cheaper Technics line. Roughly around $150 difference when new. The SL-1700 is a nice, reliable easy to live with DD which performs very well. The Thorens is technically better, but also has the potential to be a better performer, but also more maintenance over time. And the headshell situation on the stock tonearm is going to be costlier if you need one or need extras. Both are fine turntables, the Thorens has the edge. But either will make most users happy! In Thorens, I favor the TD 150 or TD 160 if possible for nicer Thorens of the era.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  9. I get that. And that's probably reason enough to chase a Thorens. I did a major upgrade from a Thorens TD-147 Jubilee to a Rega P-5 years ago but never had the heart to sell the Thorens and I'm glad I kept it. I run it in a second system and use it often. Love that Thorens table. Around here, a nice Thorens table on the used market tends to vanish quickly, so don't hesitate.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I have no experience with the 1700, but the 166 MK2 was my previous turntable, and it served me well for several years. One caveat, however- it is essential that you replace the suspension springs if they haven't been replaced already, because the original springs are most likely shot by now. VinylNirvana sells a complete replacement kit for (I believe) around $50, which is well worth the additional expense if you decide to go down that road.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Stan94

What I really like about the Technics is the auto return. It's the one feature I may miss if I go the manual road. I've heard the return mechanism was touchy, so maybe I won't try and find a TD 147 or 146.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man of I could find three 166's for 200 bones I would buy all three.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Very well stated :). The secondary market for the quality product Thornes is speaks volumes for this choice ;)

Manimal likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The TD166 MKII is a bad ass table in the world of regula folk.

SandAndGlass and GroovyGuy like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Like me:)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm actually in the market for an older Thorens right now, though I'm looking at the TD 160 (or a 145, 146, or 147). I have a friend who has had two TD 160s since the late 70s, and both are still functioning flawlessly today. I think he's changed the belts a couple times and that's it. I don't know much about the 166 or how it differs from a 160.

My main turntable, a Denon DP51-f, has developed an intermittent problem that isn't easily fixable, so I want to replace it with something that's super reliable and dead simple, which is why I'm looking into Thorens.

I also have a 70s Technics SL-1400, which is a perfectly fine, solid, reliable turntable, and which I'm now using as my main table until I find something else. If/when I find a Thorens, I'll be super curious to compare the sound of the two. I always felt the Denon had a slightly richer tone and subtly better soundstage than the SL-1400 (both have the same cart, an AT440MLa), so it would be interesting to hear how a Thorens compares.

I've been keeping an eye on the Vinyl Nirvana website - Dave occasionally sells stock or partially stock Thorens turntables that are much more affordable than his custom builds, and I'd prefer to buy a Thorens from someone who has totally fussed over it than from just anyone on craigslist or eBay, even if it means spending a little more.

SandAndGlass and Manimal like this.
  17. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Back in the 80's I bought a 166Mk2. It was a nice table and served me well for a few years. Then I upgraded to an AR ES1 which was actually a big step up in sound. I'd definitely consider one of those as well.

18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I've heard some nice jams, and I can safely say my 166 keeps my Smokey mind blown on the regula.
    When I had my dealer install an Ortifon Red (he has a "home" business), I came to pick it up and he said "man this thing sounds awesome!". He had never heard a vintage Thorens and he sells high end stuff. He was impressed for sure. They rock:)

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

I used to run a Sure M97xe with Jico SAS stylus on my 166, it was a killer combo. It's still my preferred cart for that table but I'm currently using it on my reference rig.

The Sumiko Pearl is also a good sounding cart on these tables.

Manimal likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Beautiful, is that the original plinth and top?

21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

In the pic I posted, it shows the dustcover /cover (vinyl) that came with the table. Is this item you think rare? I've never seen one online, sorta nice touch.
    It's the black thing on the dustcover in pic

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Way out of hand.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The 1700 mk1 = nothing special. Thorens will be better. 1700mk2. = very special.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks. It's the original top plate. I custom ordered the plinth from a guy on eBay.

Manimal likes this.
  25. Stan94

I visited a guy yesterday with a TD 160 MKii for sale. The inner turntable platter was plastic which seemed odd as I thought the TD 160 were metal... The RCA plugs had been changed. One "foot" was missing in one corner. I shook the table gently and could hear a spare nut or screw moving inside. Not good.
    We plugged the table in and this loud buzz comes out of the right speaker. No ground wire. When I touched the tonearm (TP 63) the buzz was less noticeable but still there. The plastic box for the arm was missing with the additional screws for different carts. Even with the hum it had a nice, very musical sound (we played the new London Grammar record, the guy had a tube preamp and amp and huge Davis speakers). One hinge was broken. In the end nothing that couldn't be fixed but that put me off a bit so I passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.