Buffalo Springfield Again Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Why was this never released on CD? Or does Neil Young or Steven Stills not like this version? Or is the mastertape lost/destroyed?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't know but I would be the first in line to buy it; it's THE mix!

3. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I wonder why then they did the first album on CD in that configuration?

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm a big Buffalo fan and I've never heard the mono mix of Again. What am I missing? Does the mono have more bass? How does the mono mix of Leaning to Fly compare to the stereo?

5. Steve Hoffman

Different guitars at different times, different harmony levels, band levels, voice levels. It's like the person who did the stereo mix was a different dude than the mono mixer and neither heard or cared what the other person was doing. The mono mix of Mr. Soul (also on the ATCO 45) is the keeper of all time!

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

:mad: Neil Young. ehrrr. Not to beat a dead horse, but had the "bonus" disk of the box set included the 1st album in Stereo and "Again" in Mono (rather than Mono and Stereo mixes which duplicate the same tracks on disks 1 and 2), it would have truly been definitive. I just don't get it.

My take on the mono mix of "Again" is that it's a really hot "seat-of-the-pants" mix, with the engineer really into it and riding the gain controls.

Ron

majoyenrac, fr in sc and Classicolin like this.
  7. Chris M

Wow. Sounds like it's a drastically different mix. Does anyone know if the mono mix was done first? Was the stereo mix one of those mixes knocked out in an afternoon or two after the mono was mixed? In any event I'll have to find a good needle drop of this somehow :help:

Chris

8. Steve Hoffman

When I was young(er) I used to see tons of used "Again" Atco LP's in junk stores and used record stores. I even had one myself but traded it in like a dunce for the stereo LP without realizing that the stereo version sucked. I'm sure the mono mix was done first and was the version the band and producers OK'd. As Ron mentions, the engineer really got it, making great use of the compressor and riding the vocal levels just above the music, like a good AM DJ from 1966. The stereo mix must have been knocked off quickly, with no attempt to match the mono "hit" versions. One or two songs even have the wrong guitar solos...It's been so long since I've heard the mono album it's hard to remember. Try and find the 45 of Mr. Soul and I think in the first 30 seconds it's so different from the stereo that you will be amazed..

9. Chris M

Wow. I've got to find a copy of this. I can't believe Neil didn put this on the Buffalo box. Neil has said he loves mono mixes. Heck, he insisted on using the mono mix for the first LP on the box. Anyway, thanks for the info on this Steve!

Chris

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I was always under the impression that the 45 was an earlier, completely different take, and that the mono LP featured the more familiar take mixed to mono.

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No, the mono Lp should have the single mixes of all the 45 sides issued before and after its release(fairly typical of Atlantic/Atco mono Lp's in general).

Like many mono Lp's of the period, this is, as Steve says, THE mix...all the work went into this one, and next to none for the stereo...it's an amazing listen, but it's 1967, and there are many, many others we can say that about, from TURN ON! THE MUSIC MACHINE to SGT. PEPPER....

As to why the mono mix wasn't put on the box set, your guess is as good as mine....

:ed:

12. Larry Geller

Well, it sure doesn't have the 1:59 mono 45 mix of Bluebird on it!

13. Chris M

IIRC they used an alternate take of Mr Soul by mistake on some 45 pressings though I have no idea which ones. I'm sure someone here can set the record straight...

14. Larry Geller

I believe it's on all of them. It's even on their gold series reissue 45.

McLover and Rubber Soul like this.
  15. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

This is probably the most different and good mon mix of any US 60's lp. The "Mr. Soul" is very different to the 45 and to the stereo Lp mix. This mono lp tape is sitting up at his vault in N. California . Why this hasn't come out and the barely interesting and not much different mono 1st lp is touted as some sort of holy grail by Mr. Young is a mystery to me...

fr in sc, Beattles and Rickchick like this.
  16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It has the mix; just not the edit. Just as THE YOUNG RASCALS has the long versions of "Mustang Sally" and COLLECTIONS "I've Been Lonely Too Long," but the edits are(were)exclusive to the 45's. But the mixes sound the same to me. The former, an edited B-side, was unusual but not unheard of(Dylan had one, "Pledging My Time"), doesn't make much sense, since the flip wasn't the one Atlantic was plugging, so why bother with the edit at all?

:ed:

17. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I'm currently reading Neil Youngs biog called Shaky - it mentions that the stereo mix was done first, very quickly without the bands input- and they truly hated it and tried to get it pulled - then Stills and Young spent many many hours getting a mono mix done after which they preferred -but basically the band hated the recording full stop.

As far as I can tell the mono and stereo mixes are the same recordings - which conflicts with what I've read here.

peace

Tim

18. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Since Young had so much say about the contents of the box set, this makes the lack of its inclusion even more perplexing, IMO.

Gary

19. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong -- it's been a while since I finished reading Shakey -- but wasn't it Buffalo Springfield's debut album for which the band hated the stereo mix?

Aftermath likes this.
  20. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

yes you are correct - it's that kind of day!!

apologies

tim

21. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Did this version of the LP stay in print long enough for there to be a 2nd pressing?

22. Larry Geller

No. Most of the FIRST pressing wound up in the cut-out bins. The LP was not, by any means, a "hit", especially on the East coast, where the group was basically unknown.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The middle solo is a dead giveaway...it's different on the 45 versus the stereo/mono album mixes. And on the 45...the bass guitar and kick drum sound tight as hell :)

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

In a perfect world, there'd be the following three Buffalo Springfield cd's on the shelves:

1. Buffalo Springfield S/T....mono and stereo. The 1997 disc is *almost* there. It misses the stereo mix of "Baby, Don't Scold Me" and the mono mix of "For What It's Worth".

2. Buffalo Springfield Again...mono and stereo mixes, plus the 45 mixes of Mr. Soul & Bluebird.

4. Last Time Around...stereo album (no dedicated mono mix) plus the 45 mixes of Merry Go Round and Uno Mundo.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Just recently snagged a mono Again and it is a revelation! I may never play the stereo again!

fr in sc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.