Building my Judas Priest vinyl collection from scratch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Mofi Silver Series Judas Priest lp's? If so, how do they sound??

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

SfV is awful. Killing Machine is good. Stained Class is excellent.

3. ocotes

ocotes Forum Resident

4. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Loved the separation of instruments on early Priest records, but it seems that after Point of Entry, they began to mix more towards a "wall of sound" for better for worse.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, I think that was generally common from 70s hard rock/heavy metal into 80s-90s metal, but that opens up another can of worms.

ian christopher likes this.
  6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

SFV is awful? Not to my ears - it's mellower than my original, but far from awful. I think all three sound good, although more laid back than originals. The MOFI's need to be cranked!

I'm not a fan of the way they split the sides on Killing Machine (actually Hell Bent for Leather) at all though since I'm so used to Burnin' Up kicking off Side 2.

It also doesn't seem to make much technical sense either since the timing on the sides on the original HBFL was pretty balanced.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I may have heard a bad copy of SfV - I should re-evaluate it with a new copy.

9. obi

obi Forum Resident

I just received all 8 LP’s of the new reissues (I skipped Angel of Retribution). Unfortunately, the downloads provided are not consistent in the mastering department. Half of them (including Point of Entry as documented by aroney) are very dynamic and the other half are what appear to be the 2001 remasters. So it seems that no particular care was put into choosing which masters to use...
    I suppose I should just be happy that they are not all the 2001 remasters. I haven’t had time to listen to the actual records yet; hopefully soon!

ocotes likes this.
  10. aroney

Would you mind sharing which reissues appear to be new masters?

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Do the downloads match the LPs?

12. obi

obi Forum Resident

The "Sin After Sin", "Stained Glass", "Unleashed in the East" and "British Steel" downloads are the 2001 remasters also including the bonus tracks from those CD's.
    "Killing Machine", "Point of Entry", "Screaming for Vengeance" and "Painkiller" are in the DR10-12 range and they don't contain any of the bonus tracks.
    I've now listened to "Sin After Sin" on vinyl and it sounds very good, so probably it's only the downloads that are haphazardly assembled.

Dertriumphdestodes and tkl7 like this.
  13. obi

obi Forum Resident

I haven't listened to more than "Sin After Sin" yet, but it sounds very good and it doesn't have the "Race with the Devil" bonus track like the 2001 remaster.

14. obi

obi Forum Resident

I just wrote Sony Music/Legacy the following:
    "I just recieved 8 of the new Judas Priest vinyl LP's. They are advertised as being cut from "original master sources". I had hoped that the included downloads would've also been original masterings instead of the very compressed/loud 2001 remasters. It unfortunately appears that 4 of them ("Sin After Sin", "Stained Glass", "Unleashed in the East" and "British Steel") are the 2001 remasters even including the bonus tracks that were part of the 2001 remastered CD's. The rest appear to be older masterings with much more dynamics intact and they sound a lot better. I would ask that you consider changing the available downloads for these vinyl editions, so they ALL reflect the "from original master sources" advertising. I'm sure a lot of people who buy these vinyl records do so because they prefer the original, less limited/compressed masterings of these albums and would like to have the downloads match the content of the vinyl records.
    Thank you for reading :) "

It probably won't change anything, but at least I tried...

Old Rusty and Pouchkine like this.
  15. aroney

They may be new masters that aren't squashed. The year on POE has the original release date and 2017 so it's possible that it's a new master with the original dynamics left intact.

16. obi

obi Forum Resident

If the dynamics and EQ are unchanged I would argue that they are not new masters but rather original masters, but at the end of the day, as long as they are NOT the 2001 remasterers I would consider it an improvement...

Pouchkine likes this.
  17. ocotes

ocotes Forum Resident

waiting for your review from records !

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I ordered POE for 12 bucks as well (waiting for it to come back in stock on Amazon). I have a mix of originals, Mofi's and the Legacy pressing of British Steel for the other albums I'm interested in, although I may pick up Painkiller with a 25% off B&N coupon.

19. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm listening to the new pressing of Painkiller . . . I'm quite happy with it.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

They really botched the album cover on most of these reissues. Way too dark. Painkiller (a really wretched album cover to begin with) is also very blurry. I'm not usually one to moan about album cover reproduction on reissues, as I know the original art is lost in many cases - but there's no reason for the coloring to be this badly botched.

Oh well. The music sounds good. Ultimately that's what matters most.

Pouchkine likes this.
  21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm a little surprised to be disagreeing with you, after seeing eye to eye on Zappa and Rush re-issues (plus, it's hard to disagree with someone who has such a cheerful avatar), but I think the cover art on Painkiller is fine. I wonder if they had issues with whomever printed the jackets? Maybe I just got lucky. As you say, it's the music that really matters, and I think the new Painkiller is easily on par with the original LP . . . which I USED to have. :sigh:

I also disagree with you on the MoFi Screaming for Vengeance. After getting Killing Machine and Stained Class, the kompletist in me wouldn't let me skip rounding out the kollection with all three. I think it sounds great . . . maybe a little more "polite" than the original LP. And the packaging is awesome. :D

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm just not a big fan of that cliched kind of heavy metal artwork, especially seeing how Judas Priest had so many classic and artistic covers earlier in their career. I can understand how others' mileage might vary. The new one is definitely blurry in its reproduction, though.

I do think I need to give the MoFi SfV another chance.

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh man...I cannot agree with this more, 100% spot on. SFV sounds like there is a veil over it. KM sounds alright, but pales in comparison to my US Original "Hell Bent." But Stained Class......man that sounds nice. I prefer listening to this one on headphones.

Ben Adams likes this.
  24. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

See that’s the thing, it doesn’t look at all blurry to me. Weird.

25. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I have this! This is one of the best sounding Metal Lps i have.And a top 3 for me in the JP discography.Also i like this cover more than the EU one.

Old Rusty and DoF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.