Building my Judas Priest vinyl collection from scratch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

Sadly I don't have any Priest on vinyl But I was gonna have at least one JP album in my Collection it would be Sad Wings Of Destiny IMO their best album and they reissued it 2 on 180 gram vinyl once in 2008 and once in Europe in 2015. Like is said one i need to get. But ill Buy it used because 80s RCA pressing in good shape are cheap to come buy. \m/

Dertriumphdestodes and DoF like this.
  2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

How's the hunt going? @DoF . Priest was one of the first bands I started collecting on vinyl when I got back into vinyl. It took me a good 6 months but I was able to find US copies of all the albums from Sin After Sin through Screaming for Vengeance. I've passed on a couple of Defenders of the Faith but they are out there. I believe for the first two records you want the Gull pressings. I haven't found those but sI did find a copy of "Hero, Hero" which, while a strangely sequenced collection, has some great music on it. Spinning it now.
    The Mighty Priest is a band you can take a risk on an iffy looking record though. They were party records and rarely in good shape. But the consistently loud tracks mask much surface noise. My Sin After Sin and Stained Class look pretty poor, but play decently. As long as you can avoid groove damage and deep cracks, the Priest records will hold up.

[​IMG]

Livewire91, Metalrob and DoF like this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Thanks for asking :)

Lately I've bought these:

1. Judas Priest: British Steel (1980) [2017]
    2. Judas Priest: Point of Entry (1981)
    3. Judas Priest: Painkiller (1990) [2017]
    4. Judas Priest: Angel Of Retribution (2005) [2017]

Maybe I'll pick Sin After Sin and Stained Class off these 2017 series too.

Doggiedogma and Metalrob like this.
  4. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Agreed. Saw the SFV reissue in a store yesterday and the cover looks far more orange than yellow. In fact it now looks more like what they did on the revised artwork for the anniversary reissue, as far as the colors go. The scan is not very sharp either.

Ben Adams and DoF like this.
  5. Bananas&blow

Do the 2017 re-issues sound as good as the originals though? They sold a lot of records. Where do you live that you can't find them? I have them all but the first two and I looked last night and don't have a Unleashed in the East yet, but i do have the original CD which sounds pretty good.
    I just ask because i found all of them for $12 or less used, and from what I've read seems like they are higher quality than the likely digital re-issues.

6. DoF

Have no original to compare but plan to get them

Bananas&blow and Metalrob like this.
  7. Bananas&blow

Good plan. IMO two bands that absolutely must be heard on vinyl to get the best experience are The Mighty Priest and Iron Maiden. The CD's just don't do them justice.

johnny q, Metalrob and DoF like this.
  8. DoF

That's true.

Munger74 likes this.
  9. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I don't get it either. I also really dig the weird, US-only album cover. I'm on the lookout for a clean copy.

Doggiedogma and DoF like this.
  10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Imagine the two rock surfaces separated by the printer paper are a woman's legs.

Now, maybe you'll understand the cover a bit more. ;)

Pouchkine, Metalrob and jason202 like this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Old post, but I'll add that I'm listening to the 2017 Angel of Retribution vinyl reissue and it sounds great. It is a loud recording but it sounds better than I was expecting. First time I'm hearing this material and liking the material quite a bit!

Metalrob and DoF like this.
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I've heard positive reviews of the 2017 reissues and am curious if anyone has compared these to originals. I have all of the originals except for Ram It Down and most sound quite nice. I got Rocka Rolla reissue from a few years ago and was not happy with that one. Second time through on AOR right now!

13. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm surprised there is so little love for the original US pressing of British Steel. I have 7 or 8 JP albums but none sound anywhere near BS. It's one of my absolute reference LPs! Cranking it up after readjusting VTA and it sounds so fantastic. From the high hats to Halford's vocals to the cutting guitars. Brilliant work!

14. DoF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.