Built my son a fantasy turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

My 16-year-old loves all things Soviet at the moment, I think because he plays that army in his World of Tanks multiplayer. And he loves Russian revolution and Lenin, and he also really responded (like all boys) to WWII stuff, so I thought I'd built him a fantasy Russian military turntable from a Lenco B55 idler drive I couldn't pass up for $30.

It came with a plastic Japanese arm that was put on in Italy, as this table was released toward the sad end of Lenco. The drive mechanism is all by Lenco and the body work (some pretty oxidized paint, guys) done in Italy. As Lenco closed down, the Italians still had all these tables and put these Japanese arms on these for use in dance studios and recital halls as an all-in-one vinyl sound system. But the guts are the good Lenco motor and idler. Simplicity itself.

I instantly said "no-no" to the Japanese arm and put on a suitably military-spec looking milled aluminum Rek-o-Kut arm- I wanted a tank-like arm. I love the look of these arms which are cheap (except for the $%^%&* headshells) and with cleaning of the bearings is turning out to be one of those float-like-a-butterfly pieces of heavy metal! I love when you have a big chunk of metal and balances it out so it's like picking a daisy. I learned that from my Grado. The only hassle with this arm is fighting cable twist and antiskating. Just a pain to position the arm and screw it on the table.

. Anyway, I digress. I just like making things for my son.

Oh, yes. Translation: 'Sing to the Motherland, home of the Free." from the Soviet National Athem's chorus. And I can't tell you how many hours it took me to space and spray on those mini-stencils. I will tell you: Six hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The most expensive part? Headshell, natch. $100.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Donniej, fitzrik, jonwoody and 22 others like this.
  2. Ghostworld

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The people's turntable. Translate the Russian inscription for us.
    -Bill

McLover and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

That's a great-looking turntable. Your son must be absolutely delighted.

noahjld, Ghostworld and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

"Fantasy" as in it's a fantasy if it actually works? :D:angel:

6. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Is good, solid looking turntable comrade! Now for records to play on it. In Russia, Beatles very big! But cover art copyrights, not so much.

[​IMG]

7. Yamaha Denon KLH Nut

Yamaha Denon KLH Nut Somewhere Lost in The Music

Dang nice looking table, your sons lucky to have you. Hope he gets many years of enjoyment from it as i suspect he will, Even if he does grow out of his Soviet interest that he currently enjoys.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Your son is lucky. Well done.

Fishoutofwater and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Such Western Capitalist decadence! Comrade Lenin is twisting and frugging in his grave!

Doc Diego, SirMarc, Cronverc and 2 others like this.
  10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Didn't they drop those imperial fractions and the turntable means it when it says 33rpm? :goodie:

Excellent job :righton:

Fishoutofwater and noahjld like this.
  11. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

In Russia, records play you........

12. Very cool gift. I gave my Son a Technics SL-10, pretty simple for a digital kid to use.

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Too freakin' cool.

You really need fabricate a Leninco label!

fitzrik, Benzion, eddiel and 8 others like this.
  14. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Have you posted it on Lencoheaven yet?

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Very creative and very nice work! :edthumbs:

16. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

How cool!

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Dad of the year!

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

all kinds of awesome !! :thumbsup:

19. Ghostworld

No problemo! I actually upgraded the bearing myself today by adding a half millimeter Delrin thrust bearing plate that wasn’t on this model but was on later models. This model it turns out upon opening it up has a locked bearing running on a copper plate (boo) which had about a fifth of a millimeter divot. I had ordered some Delrin thrust plates from Germany but they got lost in the mail but it turns out if you buy the right kind of Boss Or Dunlop guitar picks ($5 for a bag of 10 which you need a fraction of one ) they are made of Delrin so I cut myself a little circular thrust plate it about a half inch in diameter from a .5mm thick Boss Delrin pick and it worked perfectly. I just ran Turntabulator and got a reading of 33.33 the most perfect reading I’ve ever gotten — first time outta the box since I started This crazy project! :D

And people are right about that mobile one oil for turntable spindles. Jesus I’ve never seen a platter spin like that. That Mobil one is fantastic. Polymer.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Nicely done, there's nothing like making something with your own hands, making creative decisions, then watching it go!

Then, more importantly, making something like that for your son is what it's all about.... good man!

21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

That is great!

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  22. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Nice work! Etched slogan doesn't make a lot of sense, however... :)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  23. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I speak a fair bit of Russian, and the text does not say what you think it says. As in, those aren't lyrics from the Soviet anthem. For instance, "бесплатно" is free, as in no cost. "Свободный" means free, the adjectival form of "свобода" as in freedom. "Петь" is definitely the verb for "to sing," but the original 1944 lyrics use "славиться," which has been translated as "sing," but is really "glory to." There are other grammar/spelling/character errors, too. Seems you got a bad machine translation.

What you were going for, I think, was this:
    "Славься, Отечество наше свободное,"
    Which is basically "Be glorious, our free Fatherland."

Ghostworld and Vince Gill like this.
  24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

OP, the first line in Soviet Union Anthem's chorus actually reads:
    Славься, Отечество наше свободное

Your's (if, say, it were written with added quotes referring to a song's name / line), i.e.:

Петь "На Родину, домой" бесплатно!

would be translated into English like a military order:

Sing "Coming back home to Motherland" free of charge!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Ghostworld and Champagne Boot like this.
  25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Nice work Comrade!
    Now you need to score some Soviet x-ray records for him.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.