Bull Moose......a class act?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MerseyBeatle, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

You bet they are. I recently purchased The Beatles US Albums box set and I now want to publicly thank the fine folks at Bull Moose Records (bullmoose.com). Today, completely out of the blue, I received a package from Bull Moose Records. In it was a Beatles US Albums Sampler with a note attached that read:

Thanks for buying Beatles stuff from www.bullmoose.com recently. We got a small supply of these samplers to give away to Beatles fans. Unfortunately, they arrived after we shipped your order. We know you would have wanted one, so here is a little surprise from The Beatles. We hope you enjoy it.

Wow, I am gobsmacked. What a classy organization. Many lesser companies would have just put these on eBay or found some way to make a buck from them. Bull Moose did not have to go to the trouble, time, and expense of sending this to me, but they did and for that I'm eternally grateful. They have proven they value their clients and for that they have made a loyal customer out of me. I doubt I'll ever get to New Hampshire, but I will be a loyal buyer at BullMoose.com.

Thank you Bull Moose for making this Beatles fan's day.

:edthumbs:

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident

Yep..got the same thing shipped out of the blue yesterday....& I only purchased four titles. Sent them a howdy & thanks.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

They are great to buy from, both online and at their stores.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Forum Resident

Agreed... the Salem, NH location is my local shop, and I'm really loyal to them. They are fantastic to deal with at the store, always friendly and helpful. Great prices on new vinyl too. I haven't been up to the shops in Maine, but plan to get up there sometime.

bferr1 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  5. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Forum Resident

Hey there, thanks for all the amazingly kind words. We got quite a few emails from people who were equally surprised but I think you were the only person who was actually "gobsmacked." ;)

You know what's cool? Many of the people who got the sampler have a Beatle reference in their Hoffman username or email address. Except for the one guy whose user name probably is a Dylan reference I don't get. Anyway, it's clear that they ended up in the right hands (ears?), which was the entire point.

As a longtime Beatles collector myself, it always made me crazy to see samplers and retail displays sold for insane prices in ads in Goldmine or wherever. Others here feel the same way about whatever they personally collect, so it's not too hard to know what we need to do. Even so, it's really nice to be thanked. I shared some of the comments with the guy who actually packed them up so he knows everyone appreciated it.

Thanks again for all the wonderful words, everyone.

Chris

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Forum Resident

Now, Chris, if only we can convince you guys to stop buffing/polishing your used CDs :)

bru87tr and Atari265278 like this.
  7. live evil

live evil Well-Known Member

You need to expand your horizon's and open some stores in the great midwest.

Seriously, that is commendable customer service.

We have 2 good independent stores here, but the one listed on Rolling Stone's top 25 record stores acts as if they are doing you a favor by allowing you to shop in their store.

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Forum Resident

Got one too. That was a really awesome thing to do. The funny thing is that I'm not allowed to open the actual box set until Valentine's Day, so this was a great way to get into the mood so to speak.

Bull Moose has definitely made a loyal customer out of me.

MerseyBeatle and Bull Moose like this.
  9. Bull Moose

Most people really prefer that. Maybe you need to get everyone to download EAC. Then we wouldn't have to.

Seriously, though, does the buffing reduce the value or playability of the disc? Maybe we could train people not to buff the occasional old MoFi if it's an issue.

Thanks,
    Chris

10. Bull Moose

I can't see making it to Ohio any time soon. I might run into my aunt who lives in Columbus. She's real mean and I'm still afraid of her.

Sorry.

jlf, 4stringking73 and webbcity like this.
  11. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Forum Resident

It's conceivable that it could actually improve playability, but it definitely reduces the value of "collectible" discs. I'm not sure if you could train your staff to leave well enough alone with the "collectible" stuff. Collectible means different things to different people, and I don't want you to know what I find collectible, because I want you to keep indiscriminately putting it in your bins (browsing the bins at Bull Moose is an experience... please don't become another "Newbury Comics", where I can't even find an original issue, run-of-the-mill Chicago CD, just because someone thinks it's "collectible").

I'd simply avoid the buffed/polished stuff, if I could, but the nature of the fluorescent lighting in the stores makes it virtually impossible to detect... until I get home.

Great stores, otherwise, and your level of customer service sounds terrific (I've never had an issue in one of your stores that warranted much service, which is a good thing, in and of itself).

Thanks!
    Ivan

bru87tr likes this.
  12. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Bull Moose is great. Definitely one of the good guys.

MerseyBeatle and Bull Moose like this.
  13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 You Got the Right One, Baby

Yes, a class act. My first purchase from them was a new Chuck Berry box set that turned out to be defective. They had the replacement set out to me before I even sent back the defective one. I also scored one of my holy grails from them a couple years ago. I love Bull Moose!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Great store, I get to the Portsmouth NH location 2-3 times per year. I won't complain, though, if you expand into the Boston area, with all the colleges and whatnot.

michael bialek likes this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Or opening a store in Concord, NH :)

16. zen archer

zen archer Well-Known Member

Yea, especially since Newbury Comics has turned into a clothing store, bring on Bull Moose!!!

reidc and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

This is so true. I stopped going into Newbury Comics this year as their music selection (especially jazz) is terrible.

I also feel Bull Moose is a class act. They are an outstanding store with the Portsmouth, NH store being my "home" store. I went in the other day to get a CD I had transferred from another store. There was a slight mix up and the staff (Garrison I believe was his name) took care of everything. Top shelf all the way :)!

Bill

PennyLanes, Bull Moose and zen archer like this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Which is a shame since the Newbury staff is still passionate about music and, overall, a nice bunch of people. Way of the world...

Davidmk5 and johnnypaddock like this.
  19. Bull Moose

Buffing has brought many many discs back from the dead.

I think you are absolutely right about collectible discs. Making too big a deal about them just invites people to buy them for resale. All that does is inflate the prices and make things artificially scarce. I don't think we ever will try to keep rare titles out of the bins because, as you point out, that would ruin the shopping experience. I don't know why anybody would visit us if the only things we had in the bins were the super common titles.

Thanks for posting about Garrison. He is the new manager of the Portsmouth store, so I let his supervisor know that he helped fix whatever was wrong. I'm sorry there was a problem, but I'm glad to hear he took care you.

Chris

webbcity and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I know who Chris is. A few years ago, he did me a huge favor when I lived in Portland.
    They were selling the Beatles mono box at half off. They had a huge inventory of them and needed to blow out some stock. Chris agreed to hold one for me, at that price, until I could scrape the money together($100)to buy it. I was desperately unemployed at that time. I still have it. I'll never forget his act of kindness!

So thanks, Chris, and say: does the cute redhead still work at the Portland store? :love:

Cheers,
    Evan

PennyLanes, webbcity and MerseyBeatle like this.
  21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

There are stores out there that are basically just storage and buying locations for their eBay storefront. They could care less if anyone buys any of the crap they keep in the bins.

These tend to be the same stores that bitch up a storm about distributors cutting them out of RSD. In fact many the stores we found flipping stuff and you banned from RSD a few years ago fit firmly in this group.

Anyway it's great to see this thread. Normally you are here trying to deal with the annoying loud vocal minority on here.

Never had anything but great experiences talking with you and ordering from your stores over the past few years.

funknik, Bull Moose and MerseyBeatle like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Chris,

My pleasure :). It wasn't even a problem as I requested a CD be sent from the Salem store to the Portsmouth store. I got a call that the CD was in the store and when I went to the Portsmouth store it wasn't there. The staff at the Salem store thought I wanted to pick the CD up in Salem so that was where it was. Garrison figured it all out in a few minutes and the CD was in the Portsmouth store a few days later. Really no problem as I really appreciate that I can call any of the stores and have an item shipped for pick up at the Portsmouth for no fee. Outstanding service as always :).

Bill

Bull Moose likes this.
  23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Well I've definitely become a Bull Moose fan. The customer service is outstanding and the prices for box sets is always cheaper than other places...even with shipping.

I, too, received a Beatles sampler after I ordered the U.S. Albums box and it was a nice surprise. Some stores here in New Jersey would have had NO problem taking all of those samplers and putting them on eBay. Chris did the right thing and took care of his customers.

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Love the place , i try & get up to the Portsmouth NH store a few times a year when it's warm & the mailorder service is A+++

Bull Moose and MerseyBeatle like this.
  25. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Forum Resident

Great store, I loved shopping at the Brunswick, Maine store when I was on vacation near thee last 2 summers.

One request: the new store in Salem NH has very low, subdued lighting. I found it very difficult to read titles in there. Any chance someone can boost the lighting there?