Bull Moose......a class act?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MerseyBeatle, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MYKE

MYKE God Bless The Allman Brothers

Plenty I'm sure, esp. if they're not " watching " the items they desire, as you seem to be.
    They aren't trying to " motivate you " to do anything. :laugh:

2. tingly

tingly Active Member

I've only seen Amazon change prices when it changes for everybody. Some of their prices go up and down like a yo-yo. They've gone down in my cart more than up. I haven't seen prices change in my bullmoose cart.

3. zen archer

zen archer Well-Known Member

Maybe a week, sometimes it takes a while because I try to reach the $30 threshold for free shipping.

4. I've never kept anything in the shopping cart at Bull Moose (or any other retailer except Amazon) so haven't noticed price changes. I don't worry about trying to get enough CDs or LPs in one shopping session to get free shipping. If I'm after a CD or LP and Bull Moose has it for a reasonable price I buy it and don't worry about trying to get free shipping. Their shipping costs are low enough that it's not a significant factor.

I'm assuming their price changes are due to used availability and demand. If they're down to one copy of a used CD that is in demand then I don't see what's wrong with raising the price. Raising the price allows them to pay more to people who trade in that CD which could potentially get more used copies of that CD available because more people will be willing to trade in their copies if the price is higher.

MYKE and Jack like this.
  5. zen archer

I put 2 Used CD's in my Bullmoose shopping cart last night and this morning one of the Cd's went from $5.97 to $12.97.

6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The BEST service out there. Did you send then a message to express your feeling, or did you come straight here?

Bmoose is a business. Prices go up. Prices go down.
    They have THE best customer service I've ever had to deal with. Period.

MYKE likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

OK.
    Well that happens everywhere everyday.
    Cancel the order and move on, or bite your tongue and make the purchase.

8. zen archer

At this point no biggie, I can get the CD for around $6 from another place.
    At this point I'm just interested at how this software works? Would the price go up if the cd was not in a cart? sort of like if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around does it make a sound...

9. Vinyl Addict

Did you contact customer service yet? They are VERY helpful and usually answer within a couple hours. Ask Kiley what you are asking us. (she's usually the one answering emails)

MYKE likes this.
  10. zen archer

Maybe I will. At this point I'm more interested on how the software works. Does it scan shopping carts and determine what is low in stock? probably.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Well when you hear back let us know what she says.

:edthumbs:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    zen archer likes this.
  12. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

It's a long shot, but try deleting the cookies in your browser to see if the problem recurs. If the software reads the cookies it may treat you as a live fish on the line.

13. skyjelly

skyjelly Well-Known Member

Definitely contact them. I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what is happening, and may even do something for you.
    In my experience with their used CD's, I have found that each store tends to have their own pricing. I've found that a used CD advertised online for one price may not be the price I find when I go to a local store. However, Bullmoose will honor their online price. I'm wondering if the change in pricing you're experiencing is due to the cheapest copy being sold, and so pricing would then reflect the next lowest priced copy. I don't believe they are out to rip you off. I've been a loyal customer for over 20 years and can tell you that they are one of the best customer service oriented businesses around.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. zen archer

I emailed Kiley.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

I think the pricing may be corporate (though they may take condition into account) as they scanned the bar codes last time I brought in some items to sell.

16. zen archer

I received a reply from Kiley. Here is what she said basically pricing changes on a few factors like the price of it new, how many Bullmoose have in stock and where they are located.

Where the product is located is interesting. If you go to there site it tells you all the locations the cd is located. So like for instance the $3.97 used cd that jumped to $5.97 was available used in 3 different locations. All at same price and all went up $2.

Interesting, this has to be software generated? Maybe they don't realize how frequent it's happening. At least on my end. I sent her another email asking if she thought prices would jump if held in wish list. Which I think it would.

skyjelly and Vinyl Addict like this.
  17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Prices at Bull Moose and pretty much every other online retailer (or retailer that has an online-sales component) change all the time. Having them in your cart is irrelevant. Most retailers will not hold an item (let alone its price) if it's in your cart. If you put a low-stock Amazon item in your cart, other people can - and usually do - buy it, and then Amazon removes it from your cart because it's no longer available.

It's possible that demand might trigger a price increase - perhaps if BM stores have 5 of a used item in stock and 4 of them sell quickly, the system ups the price of the final one. But I doubt it's that simple or that underhanded - and in any event having in one's cart almost certainly doesn't trigger anything price-wise.

18. danner

danner Forum Resident

I don't think it makes much business sense for a retailer to freeze the price on an item just because it's in your shopping cart. It would open the door for customers to hoard items in their shopping carts in order to lock in at sale prices (think Cyber Monday) and save them for later. Retailers lower prices when they want to move inventory. Having a bunch of stuff at slashed prices sitting in someone's cart indefinitely doesn't do them any good.

19. zen archer

Secondspin actually holds cd's in carts for 90 minutes. Longer if you walk away and then come back and do more searching on their site. I like that, because you can add the cd
    to your cart and it shows 0 in their database. So no one else can claim it. I believe they are the only ones that do that?

20. zen archer

Bullmoose has confirmed by email that fluctuations in price will still occur if an item is on your Wishlist.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. MYKE

MYKE God Bless The Allman Brothers

Yes, I already knew that. Has nothing to do with why I posted that in the first place.

22. ARK

ARK Forum Resident

Fye.com does this as well.

zen archer likes this.
  23. Jerryb

Jerryb Forum Resident

The only way to cancell a preorder is to email BM and hope they read your email? There should be a cancell button on the order page.

Louise Boat likes this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

They will cancel it within 24 hours. It's usually within a few hours.

MYKE and Jerryb like this.
  25. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Gotta say, for the first time I'm pretty disappointed with Bull Moose. I had pre-ordered the deluxe version of the R.E.M. Out of Time reissue for $45.97 back when it was a lot costlier on Amazon. Then Amazon dropped their price to $44.99, but I stuck with BM because I knew that with tax, Amazon would end up being higher and more importantly, every time I've pre-ordered with BM in the past, the item actually arrived ahead of the release date (in this case, the product page promised it would ship the day before). So it seemed like a no-brainer.

Anyway, yesterday was the release date, and that's when I got an email stating that my item was packed and ready to be shipped. A day and a half later, that status hasn't changed.

I mean, yeah, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And normally I'm such a cheapskate that I'd prefer waiting a few extra days to save 2 or 3 bucks. But I was really excited for this release and I'm going out of town Tuesday morning for a week so if it doesn't arrive by Monday (which is pretty much an impossibility) I'm out of luck.