Burning .wav files to DVD-R, will they play back on DVD player?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Is there a way to burn .wav files to DVD-R and play them back on a DVD Player? Would I have to upconvert the .wav files? Would i need to burn as a data disc?

thanks! :wave:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, a lot depends on your player. For greatest compatibility, you'd want to use software like this that would convert your audio files and create a disc that's dvd-video compliant:

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. Veech

ok, so it is possible with the right software. Thanks!

4. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

If you have an Oppo DV-980 DVD player, it will play MLP (lossless) files directly from discs or flash drives

5. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Do a Google search for a program called lplex. It allows you to burn files onto a DVD-R/RW and then play them back on a DVD player, just like you want.

It basically makes regular video DVDs, although with a blank screen. With a little tinkering, you can make it display things too.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I've done it a few times with various players (mostly cheap ones) and it's always worked for me.

7. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I tried that one, but didn't work for me. At least not on my DVD player.

8. Veech

My JBL car stereo/nav died so I had to replace it. I decided on the Sony XAV601BT. It has a ton of features although I'm not crazy about the sound and may have to get a separate amp. It plays DVDs so I'm hoping I can burn DVD-Rs and treat them as "extended' CDs in this system.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Both Audio DVD Creator and lplex create DVD-Video compliant discs and worked for me. With the latter, you'll have to use something like wav44fs to do the upsampling to 48khz (bit of a hassle if you start with flacs but it can all be automated with a little work). Audio DVD Creator is simpler, much more flexible and only around $40 so the choice kind of depends on whether you're in the mood to get your hands dirty.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I've used Audio DVD creator and it worked great! Just keep in mind you can burn 24/48 and 24/96 but not 24/88.2. I think you can also put about 10 hours of MP3 onto a DVD-should you want to.

11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It can be quite handy to to this (background music, parties etc..)

I've done this a few times in the past, and even at the top MP3 bit rate of 320kbps, I estimate that you should be able fit around 40 albums on a DVD-R, if they are something like an average of 60 minutes each.

This may occasionally vary.... your software tells you if the disc is 'overful' anyway! :)

12. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Lplex used the 24/48 FLACs I fed it just fine. Didn't try it with 48K WAVs though.

13. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Right - I should have been clearer: lplex does handle FLACs natively, but if you're starting with Redbook CD content (whether in WAV format or encoded to FLAC), you'll need to upsample first as lplex won't accept 44.1kHz input. And wav44fs - which is what I used to produce the 48kHz channels - doesn't accept FLAC. (There might be an resample utility that accepts FLAC, but I'm not aware of any.)

So, if like me you typically start with 16/44.1 FLACs you need to (1) decode them back to WAVs; (2) use these as input to wav44fs to produce the 48kHz WAVs; and (3) use the new WAVs with lplex to write the DVD-Video ISO.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

My Roxio software has a feature to create a DVD-audio. Essentially one can load the equivalent of several CDs (or wav files) onto a DVD. It then plays as audio with the menu on the DVD screen.

15. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Keep in mind that Audio DVD Creator has not been updated in MANY years! I bought version 2.9.1.0 about 5 or 6 years ago and that is the version that is still being sold.

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Sony's DVD Architect will do up to 2496 but I've been having trouble with tracks sequence auto play, but I may have it worked out this week from a friend on this forum. For $39 it is cheap try.

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I could not get it to run on Win 7. I loved it on Win XP.

18. RachelRiley

RachelRiley New Member

I have used AppGeeker DVD Creator, accepts just about any audio/video format. And it's good.
    http://www.appgeeker.com

SinnerSaint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.