But They Didn't Sing On That One...!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

How many songs can you name,where not all the group members were present when a song was recorded? it could be a duo also....Like when only the lead singer was used on[He'll Be Back-The Players]actually The Dells sang background...or when Eddie Kendricks couldn't be found so[Eddie Holland]sang his part on[The Further You Look The Less You See[Temptations]...Valarie Simpson replacing an ailing Tammi Terrell on[The Onion Song]with Marvin Gaye...Rock Candy being credited with recording[Alone With No Love]when it's actually The Contemplations.

2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

If I'm remembering correctly, Ronnie Spector is the only Ronnette whose voice is heard on 'Be My Baby'. That's the most famous example I can think of.

FJFP likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Diana Ross and the Supremes:

"Love Child" - Diana Ross and the Andantes

"Someday We'll Be Together" - Diana Ross with Maxine and Julia Waters.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Hey hey, we;'re not really the Monkees. We're Micky with Boyce & Hart.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know that. Very surprised about Love Child.

Or this, though I'm not surprised.

This thread could be the most disappointing thing since finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist!

6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

WHAT???HE DOESN'T??????...hehehehehe,now back to our discussion!

supermd, wayne66, WMTC and 1 other person like this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Incense and Peppermints by the Strawberry Alarm Clock: lead vocals by a 16 year old guy who wasn’t a member of the band.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know. I can tell you, I was shocked last month when I found out.

9. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

The first 3 the Time releases are pretty much entirely Prince with Morris Day overdubbing the vocals and on drums, same deal with The Family, Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, Sheila E (she handles percussion and vocals Prince handles almost everything else on the first two albums) etc. etc.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Here's a fun one. This is sung by PF Sloan, no sign of Jan or Dean. Apparently they were too lazy to overdub on the demo!

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"He's A Rebel" by The Crystals, as produced by Phil Spector.

None of the Crystals sang on the song. Instead, the lead vocals were by Darlene Love.

12. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The Beach Boys' manager Jack Rieley sang lead on "A Day In The Life Of A Tree," plus Van Dyke Parks sings background. Al Jardine comes in at the end, but beyond the backing "ooohs" and "ahhhs," the band isn't singing any lead parts on this.

There's also Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar," with Roy Harper on lead vocals and the Clash's "Lose This Skin," which was sung by its composer Tymon Dogg.

D.B., supermd, nedison and 7 others like this.
  13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

speaking of Jan & Dean, I believe it is Dean Torrence whose lead vocal is featured along with Brian Wilson on the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann", though is uncredited on the album.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Probably a few Beach Boys examples - "I'd Love Just Once To See You" and "Busy Doing Nothing" (only Brian singing), "Pet Sounds" and the Hawaiian instrumental from Friends (don't think any Beach Boys at all other than Brian supervising).

15. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Keep the Customer Satisfied, Baby Driver, and Why Don’t You Write Me on Simon and Garfunkel’s Bridge Over Troubled Water album are just Paul Simon singing Everly Brothers harmonies with himself.

I’m Waiting for the Day and I Guess I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times are only Brian Wilson.

Marty T, FJFP, supermd and 6 others like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Southern Cross" - Crosby, Stills, & Nash
    ........is Stills, Nash, Garfunkel, & Schmit

Crosby is not on quite a bit of Daylight Again.

Hadean75, DTK, supermd and 6 others like this.
  17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Also It's As Easy as 123, Jan Berry And Jill Gibson.

jonathan likes this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"I Believe To My Soul" - Ray Charles did the backing vocals instead of the Raelettes.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Obvious answer: "The Ballad of John and Yoko" is all John and Paul, playing and singing everything; no George or Ringo.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

While all four members played on "Go All the Way" by Raspberries, all of the vocals (both lead and back-up) were sung by Eric Carmen.

Lightworker and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What?! I didn't know that. That's incredible. I've heard that so many times and never noticed. Genius indeed.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Van Halen. The entire 5150 album.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Did Barry Gibb sometimes fake group Bee Gees harmonies by himself? I feel like I’ve seen something about that.

24. Sloan was a real master

Folknik, FJFP, MikeM and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Wasn't I Sold My Heart to the Junkman by Patti LaBelle & the Bluebells actually a record by a completely different group?

The Ronettes do lead vocals on a couple of covers from The Crystals Sing Their Greatest Hits.

Alvin Stardust didn't exist when My Choo Ca Choo came out. The lead vocal was done by producer Pete Shelley

Plastic Bertrand was actually the drummer on his hit. The guy who did the lead vocals was a balding fat guy who didn't look 'punk' enough for the picture sleeve.

The Drells weren't on Tighten Up by Archie Bell & the Drells. It was The TKO Tornadoes

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.