Butcher Block Care Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

So I have the wall mounted shelf for my Rega P3 installed (a SolidSteel WS-5). I want to add a 2.25 inch thick maple butcher block on it and place my turntable on top of that. I was looking at this for the butcher block:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Boos-RA0...qid=1410788106&sr=1-14&keywords=butcher+block

I have a couple of questions. The reviews of the butcher block say I need to use creams and oils to protect the block from splitting, etc. Will this be necessary for my use? I won't be cutting on it or washing it, so I don't know if it's overkill to oil it. Is any care needed?

Any butcher block advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I have used butcher blocks under speakers which are under sturdy coffee tables which completely eliminates floorboard resonance & realistic vocal height. They haven't cracked.

3. the blocks should be treated and maintained only if you're using them as butcher blocks. For shelf use, they'll be OK without such treatments

4. Chris Desjardin

Thanks, guys. By the way, any other economical sources for butcher block? I like thick pieces (at least 2" thick) and need about 20" x 15" in size. Mapleshade ones are nice but very pricey...

The amazon deal was the cheapest I found. So many different ones - who knows which is best for audio use??

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Any wood needs to be treated with something, depending on the finish, periodically. For a cutting board, a little mineral oil is the ticket. Listen to the manufacturer's suggestions. Personally, I like the John Boos end grain stuff but I actually use them as cutting boards, not audio shelves.

ggergm likes this.
  7. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I've gotten ones from outlet places like Ross, but I actually use them as cutting blocks so I've seen square and round models.

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Best value I got was ringing around kitchen fitters... consider self size & a sink cut out :) ... and yes simply treating with a mineral oil 6 monthly (especially with central heating) will prevent splitting

9. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I like Bamboo chopping boards, have them under all components.....but then i have never had a Maple one to compare.

Must one day do a chopping board shootout, if I get my hands on a Maple type :)

10. Chris Desjardin

Does an

Does anyone know how to buy from Audiogon? Once I log in, the ability to buy now goes away and is replaced with a watch now button. If I sign out, the buy now button comes back, but I need to sign in to buy. Once I sign in, I can't buy again. Am I doing something wrong here?

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

You should be able to contact the seller with a question and arrange the buy that way.
    Audiogon hasn't worked the same since they changed it a couple years ago, the idiots.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I just signed in to ask a question and the Buy Now button was there hmmm.

13. Chris Desjardin

Tried a different computer and it still didn't work. However, the seller gave me payment info and said she would let Audiogon know about the sale. Can't wait to receive it!

14. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hey Chris.

Shop around before you buy this from Amazon at that price.

I purchased the same John Boos unit from Bed, Bath and Beyond for half that price about a year ago, shipping included.

Other stores carry Boos wood products as well.

My VPI Classic 1 is sitting on it now.

15. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Try this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHIGAN-MA...?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&hash=item58b5259369

I bought mine from Overstock.com from the same seller.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

A general statement at best, I will clarify. Any wood product finished with a clear coat does not need or require anything else other than regular dusting with a soft damp cloth or Endust, if you must. Forget about feeding the finsh, it's bunk. You cannot feed a cured finish, it's impossible. Moisturize the wood under a clear coat? Again, impossible and why would you want to, moisture in wood will cause nothing but problems.

Oiled or plain waxed pieces will require reapplication from time to time.

17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I said, just as you quoted me. But thanks for clarifying... :confused:

18. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Shellac is the best general purpose sealer.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Have you tried charity shops? If you are patient you might find something like that and it would probably only cost a dollar or two. Patience is needed but if you are inclined to take your time then you might save some serious money.
    Linseed oil is what I use on cutting boards but as others have said, you don't need that if the board isn't getting wet.
    The linseed oil would darken the wood a tiny bit so if you wanted the board darker you could use it for that.

20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Rub a little mineral oil into your butcher block every three or so years and you'll be fine. In a kitchen situation, you might want to do the same every year but not for your use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.