Buying a Clearaudio turntable advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fmuakkassa, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I want to buy a Clearaudio turntable and take it overseas (as it works on 220 volts, 50Hz).
    Budget is between $2,000 and $4,000 complete with tonearm and cartridge. It will be connected to a Denon 3313 receiver (has an MM phono input) and hooked to Focal Chorus 826 speakers.

I am debating if I should get the Concept or the Performance DC models. I am confused because of all the bundled variation in tonearms (Verify, Clarify, Satisfy) and cartridges (MC, MM, Maestro V2 MM) they come in
    Clearaudio-Elusive Disc »

I read some reviews online and Concept seems to be an excellent turntables for the price.

What would be a good match for the above mentioned equipment. An MM cartridge will eliminate buying a phono pre-amp for a MC cartridge.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That has got to be the most complicated, confusing and downright mind bending list I've ever seen.
    No wonder you're asking for suggestions.

Basic advice - if you're decided on this table, spend as much as you can on the best tonearm.
    You want to keep it simple so go for the MM cart - but don't get it as a package from Clearaudio.

You can do much better buying from a third party.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I originally bought the Concept with the MM package, and later upgraded it to the Concept MC. It's an absolutely stellar pairing, its what let me know how good analog can sound. I don't own it anymore, but still think highly of it.

I have a Maestro V2 cartridge as well, I like it but for the money, don't love it. I prefer LOMC in general, however.

You could probably get the Performance DC with the Concept MC cartridge for right at your upper budget. I think you'd be happy with the Concept as well, however.

Seafinch and snorker like this.
  4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If it were me I'd do a Concept Wood table + Satisfy arm + Concept MC cartridge. Just seems like the people who have the latter two options rave about them and the Concept Wood would be a little more classy looking than the "standard" Concept plus I just have it in my mind that the wood plinth will help to deaden any "footfall" issues the standard Concept might have. I owe the Concept (standard) quite a lot - it showed me what vinyl was capable of, first on the Concept MM cart and then on the Maestro V1 cart. The only issue I had with mine (Verify arm) was that it was finnicky to setup for a newbie such as I was when I bought it. Frankly, I think my current Unipivot is much easier to get the hang of...

Reever, snorker, Dennis0675 and 2 others like this.
  5. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I think the "footfall" issues is a turnoff for the Concept table.

I'd vote for the wood Concept or the Performance DC with the Satisfy arm. MM or MC cartridge would be fine.

toddrhodes likes this.
  6. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

If you decide to get an MC cartridge, you could connect your TT to the MM input of your Denon receiver via a well chosen SUT (StepUp Transformer). Perhaps you will find one secondhand.

7. fmuakkassa

Do you mean that the Concept has a "footfall" issue and the Performance DC does not?

8. fmuakkassa

Is the SUT the same as a phono pre-amp?
    If I go via the MC route, then I'll need a phono stage/StepUp Transformer/phono pre-amp that run on 220v 50Hz current. Any suggestions?

9. fmuakkassa

How finicky is the arm to set up? I have VPI Scoutmaster with a unipivot arm and I love it.

10. Destroysall

From what I gather online, it is not a "known" issue. I can't speak on a personal level, as I've only heard the Ovation and the Concept.

11. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have not had any problems with footfalls. I was very concerned as I had heard that some have problems, but to tell you the truth I had forgotten about it.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

This is what I have. It's a great combination. It adds a bit to the price over the regular Concept with the MM, but it is well worth it IMO. I started with an Ortofon 2M Bronze, which was quite good, but that Concept MC cartridge absolutely took it to another level.

Destroysall likes this.
  13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I think—to the extent there is a footfall issue—it's with the 'table with the Verify tonearm, which has a magnetic bearing. The Wood package comes with the more robust Satisy, easy to adjust magnetic anti-skate, far easier and better fine speed adjustment, etc. Definitely opt for the Wood, even if you start with a MM cartridge.

cadeallaw and Destroysall like this.
  14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It's not so much finicky as it is, to some extent, "flying blind." Specifically, the anti-skate setup was always a mystery to me on the Verify tonearm. Everything else, VTA/VTF/Azimuth was simple. But the Concept + Verify seemed to be sensitive to anti-skate and at least for me, I had a hard time dialing that in. Doesn't take much away from it being a stellar value though.

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The Clearuadio Nano V2 would work. It sounds pretty good, and is not too expensive.

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Agreed. The Satisfy tonearm makes it much, much easier to adjust anti-skate.

17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have a Concept. Verify with MM Cartridge. I like it a lot. Although the MM Cart is going overboard at the first sign of wear. Will probably go with the MC replacement.

I did have to put it on an isolation platform, though. Much more sensitive to footfalls than my MMF 5.

18. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I recently purchased a Clearaudio Bluemotion with a Satisfy arm with a Grado Gold, and absolutely love it. I wouldn't mind a Performance DC with the Verify arm if the funds were available.

19. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

No. The SUT is not a phono pre-amp. It does not do RIAA correction. All it does is raise the output voltage of your MC cart to an appropriate level so that you can connect it to the input of any MM phono pre-amp. So it goes between your turntable and your MM phono stage of your Denon receiver (or any other MM phono pre-amp for that matter) if you decide to use an MC cart.
    A SUT handles the delicate job of raising the very low output voltage of an MC cart than a 'combo' phono pre-amp designed for both types of cartridges (at least that is what people say - I didn't know this when I switched from MM to MC and I bought a new phono pre-amp to go with it. I am satisfied with my pre-amp).

20. Destroysall

So it's the Verify tonearm that causes the issue?

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

If you're taking it overseas (to Europe??) might it be cheaper to buy it overseas?

22. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Clearaudio is a good all round brand.You should buy a entry level package and see how you like the Vinyl path.I started with the CL Performance and now the CL Innovation.
    Stump

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect the magnetic bearing system of the Verify may be more susceptible to foot fall. The Satisfy uses sapphire and ceramic bearings.

24. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

You have made the right decision fmuakkasa, the Clearaudio is one of the best affordable high end tables on the market today.
    Here is my story;
    Having been looking for the right TT for the past 9 months or so, I ended up getting the Pro-Ject Xtension 9 (2500$) along with the Ortofon Quintet black MC cartridge (900$ inclusive) . An excellent unit for the price, I was really tempted by the package.
    However, 3 months later I was asked by my brother to buy him the Clearaudio Ovation (4000$) with the Clarify tonearm and the Talismann V2 gold cart (1750$ incl.) Only then when I started to regret my Pro-Ject purchase decision.
    The difference in build quality and craftsmanship is indescribable. To name just a few, the machined aluminium plinth of the Ovation is in no match to the MDF veneered plinth of the Project product. The carbon fibre Clarify has one of the most free floating engineered arm that I have ever seen, not to mention the solid aluminium set of spikes and coasters that the plinth sits on as opposed to the funny and difficult to adjust magnet feet of the Project.

Any how, I strongly advise you to upgrade and go for the Ovation instead of the Concept/Performance units (even if you have to spend a little more) with any of the Clearaudio
    tone arms you mentioned (they are all excellent). Stick to MC cartridges, they sound much better, you do not have to get the Talismann though, it is way expensive, any Dynavector will do the job as efficiently.
    Regardless of where you are going to use your new table at, make sure to check prices overseas, I am not quite sure that Clearaudios are cheaper outside U.S territories.
    Except that you do not have to worry about the unit voltage change.
    Attached are few photos of the Ovation installation, for the fun of it, and an article for you to google and read.
    What is the money for, you only live once.
    Cheers

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Josquin des Prez and FashionBoy like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious to hear more of your thoughts on the Maestro V.2. I've been thinking about possibly getting one to replace my Linn Akiva MC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.