Buying a new amp tomorrow - Margules Audio D-250!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

So, I have been convinced about buying my stuff NOW, before comitting to upgrade my status from Bachelor XP to Married Guy 1.0. :)

Whilst I was thinking about getting a tube based amp, after a few talks with Mr. Julian Margules (owner of Margules Audio), he convinced me of getting a D-250.

You simply CAN'T win an argument against the guy who DESIGNED THE AMP HIMSELF, can you? :)

Here's the link. Let's see what you think... it'll be powering my MartinLogans, and be fed with my Sony SACD player:

http://www.margules.com.mx/index_magenta.htm

(Click on "Click for Info" for the Power Amplifier D250).

Who knows... maybe I'll also get an ADE-24!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nice amp for ML's. I like the specs, and that should be plenty of powah.

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Congratulations!
    Looks like Margules Audio has some really nice stuff.
    Lucky you to talk with the owner about your particular needs.

Good idea to get the set up the way you want it before the big day too:)

Very Cool!

4. audio

audio New Member

Solid state??:sigh:

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Sckott, Clay - Margules had to talk me out of buying a hybrid integrated for the MLs. He throughly explained amplifier topology to me, the circuit design, number and model of transistors used, peak current, his "no-feedback" design... I was throughly impressed by it. It's one thing going to a store and buying something from someone who, in all fairness, has less knowledge than you do about their stuff, but it's something completely different (and out of the ordinary) to spend half an hour over the phone with the designer of the stuff. I'll ask him to sign my amp :)

Prix - what's wrong with solid state? Actually, I told Margules I wanted a hybrid to get the sweet sound of tubes. His answer? "A well-designed system doesn't need any coloration to sound good. Your amp will sound as good and transparent as a tubed amp, but a lot louder. Just the thing you need for current-hungry MartinLogans". He went on to say I could later add a tubed preamp, and I'd have an incredible system.

After talking to him yesterday and reliving my college days (with my electronics and control system classes), I tend to believe him. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.