buying a new iMac

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

So from the thread about updating an old one, I think the conclusion is it is just time for a new one. The 21.5" that is.

Basic uses are web surfing, music streaming (Beats/Spotify/Pandora and independent sites), plus playing from iTunes. Sometimes typing, rarely spreadsheet work.

1) Any reason to get a 2.7 GHz model instead of 1.4 GHz? It's $200 more, not a huge amount, but will it make any noticeable difference now or in the future?

2) 8 GB of RAM seems enough-any real reason to get 16 GB? Again I think it is $200.

3) This 2006 I am on has like 43 GB of content. So a 256 GB SSD would have way more than enough space forever and ever (her music library is small and will not grow, this machine is not used for that). What are the ins and outs of getting that versus a 1 TB Fusion drive, if the space is simply not an issue?

Please do not post about other machines or Windows, there is zero interest in that.

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Mmmm, one other thing, are the machines released this year much superior to their immediate predecessors? i.e. if there was an Apple refurb of the previous, would it perform as well and last as long? (I suppose it would not have an SSD...)

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

1) You'll likely be fine with the 1.4GHz model, as it can turbo up to 2.7GHz. However it is dual-core only. So if you're going to convert audio/video files, it will take longer than the quad-core 2.7GHz model. One more thing to consider, the 1.4GHz model has only mediocre graphics, vs. the Iris Pro in the 2.7GHz model. Since graphics tend to "age" a computer faster than other components (even for simple web usage), you might want to consider the $200 bump.
    2) 8GB of RAM will be plenty. I ran my 2011 Mac mini with 8GB, and never ran into any issues, even with fairly heavy consumer-type usage.
    3) Get either the 256GB SSD or the 1TB Fusion drive. The 256GB will be slightly quicker, but if you really think you'll never fill up 1TB, you might as well stick with 256GB SSD. Either way, it's a custom-built Mac.

4) Bonus question - depending on which "older" model you're thinking about... the mid-2014 models are pretty good. You'll get PCIe connected SSD (for the 256GB drive), which is fast, USB 3.0, better graphics and generally lower power consumption than older models.

4. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

I would pony up the extra money for the 2.7 at least. Thats something you cannot upgrade later. But the extra memory... That IS something you can buy later and put in yourself if you are even a little bit familiar with ripping a computer open...

nbakid2000 and eddiel like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

1) I would definitely spend the extra $200 for the 2.7 GHz model. I concur with SamS, you would probably be ok with the 1.4GHz, but the 2.7 model has much better graphics. Also, it does future proof the computer as well. As Matt Nes. pointed out it's not something you can upgrade later.

2) For your purposes 8gb should be fine. However, I would never recommend anyone buy RAM from Apple. They price it far to high. Should you require more RAM I would just buy it from one of the many other retailers at a far better price

3) I'm with SamS on this one. Both the 256 SSD and the 1TB fusion drive are an extra $200 so price wise there's no savings to be had. So, if you really think the extra space isn't needed, or are happy dealing with external drives if they are needed then I'd probably stick with just the SSD.

4) Bonus Q - I have a mid 2007 Mac that is still going strong. I use mine for similar purposes although for awhile I was doing some wave file editing and it handled that well. The most taxing things these days are audio format conversions. Earlier this year the drive finally failed but I had an SSD installed and it reduced the boot time considerably and it has a new life. So, I would definitely consider one of the previous models for your purposes. Computers can be a crap shoot of course but even last years models will perform well and last. You could always have an SSD installed after the fact. I am lucky as we are all Mac at work and our IT guy knows how to rip open these suckers and swap out drives and I appreciate not everyone is in the same position. I'm sure you could find someone locally to do it if you really wanted to do it. But even with a traditional HD last years models should perform well for what you need them for.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

On the 1.4GHz model, the RAM is not user replaceable.

Galley likes this.
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The 1.4 is a mobile processor. I believe ram is fixed, though 8 is plenty. I would definitely go for the 2.7, faster, better graphics, replaceable ram. just much better.

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

This is basically a MacBook Air in an iMac chassis. I have the 11" Air and the performance is fine. I would still look at a refurb, however.

9. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora SeƱor Member

Just bought a new 21,5 iMac (my third) with 8 GBs of RAM, and 1 TB hard disc. This machine is really fast!

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

i want that 27" :agree:

11. BayouTiger

Most of the time an Air is fine. I loved mine, but have a little future-proofing in a new computer is generally a good thing.

I know I have a Mac Pro trash can, yet I'm really jonesing for the new 5K iMac!

12. BayouTiger

Yes, and I've had Mac Air's and loved them, but a little future-proofing is a good thing!

Yep! I have a Mac Pro trash can and TB display, yet I'm really jonesing fore the 5K iMac!!! I kinda miss my old iMac!

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I actually bought the "trash can" too. If I didn't need my standard Dell display for my Windows work needs, I would have thought harder about the 5K iMac.

14. BayouTiger

Not to start an epic Mac vs PC thread, but I can say that Windows has come a very long way with 7 and 8.1, and I am moving back that way at work a bit, but in the home the Mac just does so many things so well and simply. I am aggravated that Samsung has seemingly gone out of their way to isolate my new Smart TV from my Mac's files. No matter as I prefer my AppleTV's to either of my Smart TV's anyway.

15. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I think that you get a LOT of value out of the $200 upgrade. All of these machines DO get slow with age (as the OS and software demands increase with time), so there is a good bit of future-proofing with the much faster processor and larger HD. And if the memory is upgradeable, that's yet another reason to buy the faster processor model.

16. BayouTiger

I couldn't agree more. Basically, Apple computers are the epitome of what goes for most things, the worst ones to buy are the TOTL and the BOTL. The one that makes the most sense is almost always the mid range one.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Nobody ever said "I wish I would have bought a slower processor."

seacliffe301, nbakid2000 and Ntotrar like this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Buy the faster processor and extra RAM. It will mean this version is upgradable, you have the superior Iris Pro graphics. And the iMac will have a longer useful service life gracefully as it ages. A better buy long term.

19. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Spend the extra for the 2.7 GHz and 16GB RAM. If you want Windows, then install VMWare.

20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yep. I run Windows 7 on VMware and use some technical software. Works great.

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

8GB Ram should be fine. 1.4Ghz is enough if computer demands are limited to web surfing and streaming music. My Mac Mini dedicated music server has only 2GB Ram and 2.3Ghz I5 processor and I have no trouble with streaming and playing Hi-Def files (up to 24/192). I would buy the more powerful model if there is a chance of a future application that would benefit.

22. BayouTiger

8 is fine if you don't need virtualization for windows. I went from 8 to 16 on my MBP and I woulf never go back, but I use VMware daily.

23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Pardon the possible TC, I have no use for MS Windows on my Macs; but those who do must be prepared as you indicate. For me it would be the equivalent of putting General Motors parts in my Ford.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Upstateaudio likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Do not cheap out on the processor. Go faster. There is no downside to getting a faster processor to handle the updates to the system in the future.

That said, I am unsure why you would spend all that money for a basic needs computer. Windows would be more than adequate and much cheaper and much more upgradable.

Yes, I am sure the Mac is a very nice machine but it seems like you're overpaying for the experience and boxing yourself into corner due to poor upgrade factor.

But if you're gonna do Mac, do it right. Do not be afraid to spend more money for a better machine that gives you options on upgrades.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The OP has requested we stay on topic.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.