Buying a new Integrated; Audio Research, McIntosh or Pass Labs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blair G., Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm intrigued by the Pass Labs but the problem with it, and Luxman, is the nearest dealers are thousands of miles away.
    The thought of ordering without seeing and hearing first does not appeal to me.
    It's too bad because though the Pass is more expensive I can get a decent discount.
    I get the distinct feeling there will be little or no discounting with a Mc.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

A little known fact, just between me and you, Mac does discount at end of year on displays. Hope ya' have a good repertoire with your dealer...........

3. Slick Willie

I really love the 6600, it is what it is, it can be scary at times just what it is capable of.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Not at all! Matter of fact, there's a lot of Mac lovers and owners around here. That's the way I see it, anyway.

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

But, imo, the Pass Labs is more transparent and dynamic.

gingerly likes this.
  6. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The Luxman integrated amps are very nice. I almost bought a 505u a few years ago, but it wouldn't fit the rack that I had at the time so I went with the Marantz PM-KI Pearl, which was also really nice. Music Direct carries the Luxman integrated amps and has excellent customer service and you could return it within 30 days if you didn't like it. Just a thought.

I'm very happy with my VSi60, but if I had not come across a good deal on it on Audiogon I probably would have gone with one of the Luxman models. The 505u also has a very nice phone stage.

7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

As a reviewer, I have probably matched it up with two dozen speakers...only one was a so so combo.

Other than that, I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like is that I can't lift it!

8. Slick Willie

Yes, at around 75 lbs., and bulky, it can be ....interesting.

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Yo...Blair....any closer to committing? :winkgrin:

Just wondering....

10. Blair G.

Despite all my research and talking I've only been able to hear one of the amps on my list.
    So, no closer yet :waiting:

motorcitydave likes this.
  11. Blair G.

Another amp I'm adding to the list; Modwright KWI200.

http://www.modwright.com/products/kwi-200.php

No dealers in Vancouver but there is one just across the line in Washington State.

200W into 8ohms/400 into 4ohms.
    Optional DAC (which I'm not interested in), phono stage and upgraded metal remote.
    Available in black which though it doesn't affect the sound is important to me.

12. Erik Tracy

What is your decision criteria if you can't hear these first hand?

Just a gentle jibe - but by the time you make your decision these will be classified as 'vintage'....:D

In the case of int amps, pres or power amps - I'd go used.

Less risk than mechanical devices used, less depreciation, and you can 'flip' them for close to your cost if they don't work out.

13. Slick Willie

There are so many options out there, most will sound really good. You appear to have difficulty auditioning, as I do. My advice is to go with what is available to audition, going for what colors the music the least. Use your table/cart combo do that. In this price range, there are no wrong choices, some some are better than others.... for some.

14. Slick Willie

While i recommend used for most devices, an amp is not one of those, esp. an integrated. Buy new, look for the longest return option you can get .

15. Erik Tracy

My best buy was a used int amp.

Like a car, you buy new and want to flip it??? You lose lots.

16. Slick Willie

We're not talkin' cars, or money really. We're talkin' happiness. a used amp from a "dealer", yes. a used amp elsewhere,..... well buy new I say.

17. Erik Tracy

Fair enough...we'll agree to disagree.

It's all good. And it's all about being happy with our choices.

18. Blair G.

All good questions :)

The decision making process is always a difficult one for me in most situations, it's my overly analytical nature :shrug:

As I'm narrowing things down these criteria have clarified:
    - Must be able to audition in person without messing around with shipping. This eliminates things like Pass Labs and Luxman.
    - Price....upper, upper limit is 6K. This eliminates BAT
    - New, not used (though I might consider a demo)
    - Prefer to buy local. This one is tricky because it leaves McIntosh and Bryston (and maybe Sugden though I'm not sure if Class A will work for me) as my only options. That's why I intend to listen to the Modwright and possibly the AR next time I'm in the States.
    Time for that trip is the biggest hold up right now.

19. Blair G.

This is the last and most important criteria ! :wave:

20. Slick Willie

Then, you already know what to do........... don't cha' ????????????

bud1451 likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

Let's cut to the chase, and the inevitable, buy tha' friggin' Mac. Once and done, you'll love me, your kids will remember you with fondness. As Nike says........ JUST DO IT.

22. Blair G.

Yup....buy the one I like the best, once I've heard all the options......though I must admit that Mac is looking better all the time.
    Will attempt to get one home for a demo next weekend

23. Erik Tracy

There's another saying...something about the loo....:D

24. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Blair: Do you intend to upgrade your source components in the immediate future?

Just throwing this out there but, if not, I wonder if you might not be better served, get much more bang for the buck and obtain much better sound by reducing the budget on the integrated (hell, you could cut it in half and still come up with some pretty spectacular stuff) and applying the remainder of the funds to your sources, or perhaps your primary source, analog or digital?

Perhaps I'm way out in left field, but a $6k budget for an integrated would seem a bit odd to me in terms of synergy, balance and performance in the context of the rest of your system. Not saying that it won't work, but I think the question is a valid one worth thinking about.

jupiterboy likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

I'm sorry, I'm missing this one,,,,,,, can ya' spell it out to this ol' simpleton?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.