Buying a new turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robert Graziano, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Graziano

Robert Graziano New Member Thread Starter

Hey all, first time posting here:

I'm looking to buy a new turntable between $400 and $600; I've been looking at the Rega RP1 and that looks pretty good. Any suggestions? I listen almost exclusively to classical piano music (I do like orchestral and jazz too) if that helps with recommendations at all.

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I think the Rega would be a safe bet. My buddy has one and loves it.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

What turntable do you have now, or what turntable have you had?

4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Talk to @Grateful Ed, he just got one, but is having what appears to be anti-skate issues right now. If it was me, I'd look for a deck I can grow with, something above my current level. I think some of these entry level turntables aren't flexible enough, they lock you at that entry level ... Entry level turntable recommendations

But like John above me says, you should list more personal info about your experience, what preamp and cartridges (if any) you have, what kind of siting you will give the turntable, how much dealer help you need, how many records you have, etc, etc ...

Not necessarily a recommendation for you, but there's a Marantz TT-15S1 over on the Audio Asylum trader site right now for $500, that's a pretty nice table at twice the price ... Marantz TT-15S1 Acrylic Turntable - Audio Asylum Trader

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    4xoddic likes this.
  5. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

pro-ject carbon debut lll.less mess than the REGA and easier to upgrade.to be honest not sure what pro-ject calls this nowadays.i think it would one step up from the entry level. happy listening.!

Spsesq likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

With what is available at that price range - I'd probably be looking at a Pioneer PLX1000 - 699$. I checked your Craigslist area - and nothing worthwhile showed up.

displayname, bru87tr and H8SLKC like this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

mhmmf53 MMf-5.3 - Turntables

If the cart isn't your cup of tea- let's say you want something richer, mellower, etc- after 30-50 hours, it (the cart) should be an easy sell and something like a Shelter 201 could be subbed in.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  8. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Had I known about that Marantz before spending $670 on the Planar 1 with Performance Pack I would have jumped on it! That's a $1,500 table for $500.. The problem I'm having actually now appears to be with the Bias 2 cart. The cantilever isn't perfectly straight and perpendicular to the cart. It slightly angles out towards the edge of the platter. All my skipping issues went away when I put the Carbon back on. That's the last time I'll ask a dealer to install a cartridge for me... I will say I love that the Planar 1 has no MDF in its construction. It's a thermoset plinth and phenolic resin platter - neither will warp over time with temperature and humidity changes which is important to me being in New England. No hum issues either. And it's a pretty damn good looking table!

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If classical piano is your thing, I say you're going to want to audition the turntables. Some people can hear the waver in sustained notes.

IanL, Strat-Mangler and jupiterboy like this.
  10. Robert Graziano

I currently have a JVC L-F210 - bought it used on craigslist for about $15. None of my records were in stellar condition, one or two maybe, but I just set those aside until I could get a new turntable, so it worked fine. Now I've got a couple presses in nice condition that I'm itching to play; I don't want to damage them on the JVC.

I'm new to all of the audiophile equipment/terminology, etc., and all of the equipment I have (excluding the JVC L-F210) was inherited. Forgive my ignorance, but I believe the preamp is Harmon/Kardon AVR 20 ii and the cartridge is an Audio Technica DR350. They are currently sitting on a short, cheaply-made little coffee-table I got from Target.

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I'd also be interested to hear what the cognescenti (including costerdock above) would have to say about buying a Pioneer PLX-1000, which would fall into your budget and would have super rock-solid speed stability, a great thing to have for long, sustained notes played on guitar and piano.

HiFi Guy, Strat-Mangler and bru87tr like this.
  12. Davey

Good to know it may just be a bad cart, though they aren't always perfectly aligned in the body. Are you talking about when it is in the groove with record playing, or all the time? Anyway, good to know you are happy with the new table.

13. Davey

I thought one of the issues with the Pioneer is that the don't have rock solid speed stability. Didn't I just read here that someone returned one recently because of that, and I saw someone else asking if the dots moving around was expected? Anyway, there seem to be a lot of happy users around here, so you're probably right. Too many of these threads to keep track of now, seems like just about everyone that left is getting back into vinyl now, or just getting into it for the first time. Fun to see, but this is getting to be almost like the Beatles threads on the music forum :)

14. Anthony Ingrassia

Anthony Ingrassia Active Member

I'm new here, but I just purchased a U Turn Custom a few weeks ago and it's great for the price point. Good Luck on your search :)
    U-Turn Audio

Strat-Mangler, 4xoddic and H8SLKC like this.
  15. Grateful Ed

I didn't notice it until I took the cart off the tonearm and looked at it in good light. The left/right alignment I sort of noticed when it was in the groove, but I didn't notice the off angle of the stylus until I removed the cart from the arm.

16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The RP1 has been replaced by the Planar 1 which retails for 475 with the Carbon cartridge. For 675 you can get the Planar 2 with the same cartridge, but will have a better tonearm and platter bearing assembly. The 2 also has upgraded electronics for the motor drive. You can use the Carbon for awhile and upgrade later to the Elys2 cartridge, which is much better than the Bias 2. Just giving you an option, only you know how high your budget ceiling is.

If you do go with a Rega, absolutely dont place it on that coffee table. It wont be happy. You dont have to spend a fortune, but you do have to go light and rigid. If you buy a Rega, ping me and I can tell you my setup...costs less than 50 bucks including shipping.

17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Would be a concern - but you could send it back and get another. The funny thing is that most tables don't have the strobe - so you would only know there was a problem with the Pioneer.

H8SLKC likes this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Unquestionably, the PLX!

bru87tr and H8SLKC like this.
  19. Robert Graziano

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look at the Planar 2 and get a new table first. Any table suggestions that take up very little room (think 2-person college dorm room sized)?

20. Grateful Ed

I have my Planar 1 on an IKEA Lack side table. Light, rigid and cheap. It's 22" x 22" and 17" tall. And it's on sale for $7.99! If you're near an IKEA you won't have to pay shipping either.

Robert C likes this.
  21. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

Nothing?
    $200 Bang & Olufsen Beogram 2402 (w/"working" cartridge; Soundsmith replacement < $300) Williamsville

As a former 1970s Beogram 3000 owner, I tend to keep an eye out for Beograms on CL & eBay here in the sticks. AFAIK, a Beogam owner never had to futz with cartridge protractors, shims, screws to reach alignment. Most owners could never recall a footfall bothering a Beogram. A belt is available. Beoworld can answer many questions.

Soundsmith offers 4 cartridges, ranging from $249 to $999 (Limited Edition hand-made by company president. featuring a Ruby Cantilever and Optimized Contour Nude Contact Line Diamond). Would appear Beograms have some respect for attributes beyond looks. OH, and did I mention they're automatics? Where's my flamesuit?

gss and rebellovw like this.
  22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Me too.

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I did see that - but have no experience and my concern would be about age/reliability - cool looking deck though. I just couldn't recommend it.

4xoddic likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's got scam written all over it. Just for kicks I looked into it. Member with no posts, a search on the email address reveals nothing at all meaning it was probably created exclusively for the ad, and when I contacted this person for fun, I got broken English. Too many red flags.

HiFi Guy, JohnO and Robert Graziano like this.
  25. Davey

OK, good to know, thanks for checking. It did seem almost too good, though others have reported buying them new in the past for around $1000, so didn't seem too under priced, though admittedly I'm not a very savvy internet buyer when it comes to used items, maybe that would make a good ongoing thread, tips for buying audio gear on the used market, especially with a focus on the common trading sites.

BTW, there is one on ebay now with the standard Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge, current bid is $665, according to the ad, seller is "the original owner of this factory refurbished table", and it has very low hours, but who knows, as you know, those "refurbs" aren't always the best way to go.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.