Buying on EBAY from a Canadian Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by stereoguy, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Guys, there is something on Ebay that I'm interested in. The seller is in Canada.

Is there anything involved with buying from a Canadian seller? Once I buy the item with the
    Shipping, is that it?

Or are there fees with customs and things like that,? The last thing I want to have to go to the PO for them to find it because its held up for additional fees or something.

Anybody buy on ebay from a a Canadian seller before?
    Thanks.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Can't guarantee, and don't know what time of item you're considering, but I've never run into customs holds or charges for a small item like a CD or LP.

In fact, I've ordered these types of items from sellers in Canada, the UK, Japan, Israel, Germany, and if memory serves Italy and France as well, using eBay, discogs, international Amazon stores, and other vendors, and never had a customs-related delay or charge.

But I'm only one data point, and I've never ordered large/heavy items that way.

Front 242 Addict, Dave and E.Baba like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have bought many items from Canada; never had a problem.

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Shipping from Canada to the US is quite expensive so be prepared for that. Verify with the seller if he will ship via Canada Post, instead of UPS, FedEx, or DHL, to reduce the likelihood of getting hit with duty fees.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If the value of the item is under $800 there are no customs/duty charges to US citizens no matter where the package is coming from (Canada, EU, etc). It's officially called 'de minimis'. In Canada it's totally different...we can be potentially nailed for customs on almost everything coming from outside of Canada because our de minimis is $20. It may change with the NAFTA renegotiation as the US wants us to make it higher to promote more cross border purchases.

That's probably more than you ever wanted to know about de minimis- so all that to say is unless your item is over $800 you wont pay any customs charges on your purchase from Canada.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You are assuming people will want to ship to us. :rolleyes: Oh, those line ups, the paperwork.

Dave and noname74 like this.
  7. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

If they use the post office there is no customs taxes collected. On Higher priced items shipped via FEDEX or UPS you will get slapped around unfortunately. That doesn't sound like what your dealing with thou

Front 242 Addict and tmtomh like this.
  8. stereoguy

Thank you very much for your responses. The item is actually under $300. So it appears that there would be no problem>?

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ditto. :)

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have bought many things from Canada without issue, shipping is just more expensive.

11. You might get dinged with brokerage fees if the seller use a courier.

Dave likes this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Definitely...although that's the courier and not the country getting that money.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  13. Correct! :)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I ordered many cds many times from different Canadian sellers on Discogs, Ebay and Gemm ( now Gemm Does not exists anymore)

I never had a problem and I never had to pay fees ,I am also very happy with the very fast shipping times from Canada considering the very far distance , a regular Airmail took between 7 days up to 9 days Max :cool:, And there were several times when the delivery time was only 6 days!

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Dave likes this.
  15. stereoguy

UPDATE: Turns out, I didnt get the item, but I think everyone for their replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.