Buying records on ebay!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by henry babenko, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a lot of good stuff, but heres my rules for buying. maybe can share with others. kinda pickey

1. buy only from sellers who have 100% and this isn't always a qurentee , but your chances are better.
    2. Usually buy from those with larger collections.
    3. make sure theres enough pictures,, 4. price check, believe it or not,, you can get the same record cheaper if you look around.. and compare. any other suggestions.

DK Pete and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

That about covers it. I'll buy from someone with over 99% feedback if there are no negatives more recently. I find that many sellers make mistakes early and learn the ropes.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the larger collections condition - they need to have experience selling records ("looks good for its age" is an automatic non-starter) and understand how to grade records, always a subjective matter. No pictures of the label really ticks me off, and indicates that the seller is clueless.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I had only one failed purchase when I started buying vinyl records on Ebay but since then everything works well here. I always look twice or triply on certain items before I gonna buy them.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Ebay is great...the only requirement other than knowing what you want and why you want it is lots of patience. In some cases I've received an album as quickly as within a three-four day period. But if you're buying something from overseas you can end up waiting long as a month. And sometimes there are nice surprises; I bought a White Album from New Zealand a couple of weeks ago and the eta was between July 7th-28th. I was very happy to see it arrive yesterday.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Avo!d l!st!ngs w!th too many exclamat!on po!nts!!!!!

tmtomh and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. henry babenko

I scored a mint copy of fast times at ridgemont high soundtrack from japan, best record. not one tick or pop at all. you would have thought it was brand new. even new records today. would have ticks pops and be warped.. got lucky there.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

.....yea, it's VERY easy to get swept away at first glance by something; especially if you've been looking for it for a long time. repeated looks and considerations are definitely in order. And one thing I always stay away from (even if I've wanted it "forever" and it's decently priced)is an album with no pics of the vinyl. I once called a seller out on this concerning a very nicely priced AP Japanese copy of Revolver (these are superior to the 70's EAS pressings)..his/her response was a very curt, "item is used, as is". Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. henry babenko

yes the no pictures is a big no no..

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

The beauty of buying on eBay is that it's really no-lose for the most part. If a record isn't as described, you'll never have to pay return shipping. Hell, I've had a half dozen or so sellers refund me in full and tell me to just keep records that were mis-graded.

The other side of the coin is that you have to be really thorough to have success selling on eBay. I've never had a problem, but I go the extra yard.

Another thing about buying - always check Discogs before pulling the trigger on something. Many, many times I've found it for less there, and vice-versa.

andrewskyDE and Vinyl Addict like this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I look at feedback and look at the details on any negatives, so the 100% rule so does not apply for me. It is clear at times that buyers can be jerks too. I also look at the other items they seller has up for sale. Many sellers are just posting garage sale finds and have no clue how to "grade" an LP. I look at the details on the good feedback left by other LP purchases looking for clues to what others buyers actually say in the feedback they leave. Nothing is foolproof, but I find it does help.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. henry babenko

at this point, as collectors, experienced ones, we all know what to look for and what not too look for..

12. henry babenko

another thing that makes me nervous sometimes. even though the seller has 100% feedback, some of the feedbacks will say , just simply, "ok" meaning it wasn't what they thought but didn't wanna go as far as leaving negative..

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whenever you buy used vinyl, on the internet or in person, you are rolling the dice.

Dave likes this.
  14. Alizeh

Alizeh New Member

I also like e-Bay and love shopping from there:)

15. GruveRecords

GruveRecords Well-Known Member

I think you're reading into the "ok" too much. I frequently sell on Discogs and eBay. I get those "oks" occasionally from eBay buyers, even when a transaction is Smooth and flawless. There is literally no reason for it and some odd buyers just do that.

For instance, recently sold a "sealed/new" LP where buyer just left a "thanks". With Sealed LPs I make a cardboard sandwich and then package them inside of a 14x14x4 box with packing material, making it damn near impossible to move around and get split seams. Also, that item I shipped the same day and buyer received it within 3 days. Fast, easy, safe, no complaints. But still, just a "thanks".
    Now, if a seller has a long string of passive aggressive feedback, that's another story. But, the occasional "oks" are just part of eBay and Amazon.

Dave likes this.
  16. Will7

Will7 New Member

I totally agree on this. Be extra careful on what you buy online, especially vinyls!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.