Byrds in Mono!.... Which Is Best "Sundazed" Vinyl or "MFSL" SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Hi All

I'm wanting buy the Byrds first 5 albums in mono, I'm aware at the moment that I'll have to buy the middle 3 on "Sundazed" Vinyl, but for "Mr Tambourine Man" & "Notorious" there's the choice of "Sundazed" Vinyl or the "MFSL" SACD.

My questions are ...

1. Would I be best with the SACD's or Vinyl.

2. What is the quality of Sundazed vinyl like these days I keep hearing conflicting reports.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I got a few of the Stax reissues and the quality is brilliant, very well pressed.

I'm no expert on comparing various pressings but they all sound pretty good to me.

3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Stax reissues? :confused:

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I think Jim is commenting on the quality of Sundazed's vinyl, using their Stax reissues as a reference point.

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Sundazed Stax reissues, Otis, MG's.

6. electric man

electric man Member

I have the byrds Sundazed mono pressings and they sound good with no quality issues. I have no idea if there are better sources like the SACD.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

2 different formats. However, you can't go wrong with either :)

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I am more sensitive to surface noise than a lot of people, and I have observed little or none of it on any Sundazed Byrds LP I've owned, either mono or stereo. I bought them a long time ago, though, and the ones you can buy now may be different pressings.

I've had good and bad pressings of Sundazed's Dylan LPs. I don't like the recording quality of the Mono Dylans, and I don't listen to them for that reason.

I have had two copies of The Songs of Leonard Cohen, and both were just nasty sounding.

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I got the Sundazed Byrds mono singles collection double-lp within the last 6 months and the quality is fine. Flat quiet vinyl--no complaints. Quality of the sound is variable. Some tracks sound awesome, some not so much. But I think that is to be expected on a singles collection covering recordings from a number of different times and places. Tells me Sundazed is true to the source. And it is way better than the original Columbia mono singles collection form the 80's--blech!

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I think Sundazed's pressing and vinyl quality improved round the time of The Byrd's Mono albums came out.

11. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I would also recommend Sundazed's Cancelled Flytes set of 5 mono 45s.:edthumbs:

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Sorry, I can't compare with the MFSL disc, but I like the mono Sundazed Byrds discs. No complaints there at all - they're easily among my favorite Sundazed LPs. Whether you'll do better with the other format may depend on how your analog and digital rig compare.

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

My mono Sundazed Byrds mono singles set was warped; had to return it. Sound is ok.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had them both and sold the sundazed, kept the sacd.

15. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I would vote for the MFSL MTM Sacd. Suche a clarity on the ring ring 12 strings Rickenbacker
    I prefer the original mono Columbia LP "Younger Than Yesterday" on the Sundazed reissue (I got both).
    The Sundazed single collections is good but not great (well, like it has been said before it depends on the tracks) : but it's a real treat to have those fantastic singles gathered on this double LP.

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Steve - do you mean you prefer the Sundazed reissue or the original mono Columbia LP? :confused::wave:

17. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Very pleased with my Sundazed Byrds LPs. No QC issues of any sort.

18. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I have both the Sundazed MTM & the Gold Disc. They sound quite different but both have the same tape flaws in the titletrack and 'I knew I'd want you' that are not present on the original US mono.
    The MFSL sounds as what people here would describe as more 'smooth'. The Sundazed has a grittier high-end with some some sibilance in the vocals that does not go away after folding the channels but I suspect it is a more honest replication of it's source material, warts and all. I mostly play the Sundazed and the US mono but that is purely because I get more fun from playing vinyl than CD's.

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

if your like me and out of 5 albums 3 are vinyl and 2 are sacd...sooner or later you will NEED to have the complete set on vinyl.

20. hodgo

Thanks for all the info guy's, I've still not made a decision although I have just ordered the middle 3 of the Byrds 5 mono albums on Sundazed vinyl, I've held back on the other 2 for now. I will immediatley needle drop the vinyl to CD because that is the format I prefer it also preserves my vinyl.

I have to admit with the other two albums I would prefer the MFSL SACD's, but here in the UK each one is £30, whereas I can get them both on Sundazed vinyl for half the price at £15 each, which not being on a big income is quite a difference. I also have the Byrds "Complete Mono Singles 65-67" on order which I already have a needle drop of. If this and the other 3 sundazed are good quality pressings I may end up buying the other two on Sundazed because although I prefer SACD's It'll save me a lot of money.

21. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I have original monos of all of the albums, as well as the SACDs and one of the sundazed (I think Turn Turn Turn). If you want I can try to compare an original mono to one of the SACDs and let you know what I find. It'll take me a couple of days though, as I am busy today.

I'm not sure why if you want vinyl of the monos you don't consider buying original pressings? ....Oh, I see that they have gotten a bit pricey in some cases for the originals and I guess it can be kind of a crapshoot about the condition they are in. Still, I wonder if you look around you might be able to find them for not too much money.

22. hodgo

Yes if you have time for a comparrison of the mono LP's to the SACD's that info would be welcome as it's interesting not just for me but others too.

Regards buying the original mono's, there's nothing I'd like more to have a decent copy, but my experiences of late have put me off buying any more 2nd hand LP's, my idea of Excellent, Near Mint or mint appear to be completely different to the sellers I've encountered, so I think it's new vinyl for me now, although I was Highly dissappointed with my first NEW purchase in 32 years Classics mono "Axis Bold as Love" was scratched and noisy.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. hodgo

Today I've just recieved "The Byrds Columbia Singles 1965-1967" 2 x LP 180g set and it's wonderful, I already had a needle drop of this, so I didn't need to make my own, so I played it for the first time just to check it out and it's perfect very quiet indeed I highly reccommend it to anyone who loves the Byrds. :righton:

24. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

I more or less agree; out of the first 5 the mono "Notorious" has been the only one I've not been able to find, although the stereo version I have is wonderful. 5D is the difficult one to find on mono for an affordable price, but definitely out there.

FWIW though the sundazed reissue of "sweetheart" is absolutely phenominal; plus the originals are more difficult to find for that title (saw one a few weeks ago, for the first time).

25. hodgo

I've given up on buying 2nd hand vinyl guys, there are no used stores around me to look at it first before I buy, regarding buying over the net which I've now done on a few occasions, my idea of Excellent, Near - Mint, or Mint appears to be completely different to anyone else, with items I've bought in supposedly those conditions being unlistenable, as a result I decided to stick to Brand new vinyl and even then my first purchase Classics mono "Axis Bold As Love" was a big dissappointment quality wise, this Byrds singles album though is fabulous in all respects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.