Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 03)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I can't take the time to find it individually on YouTube because I'm at work but it's the last track here ( around 54.00 ) and it sure sounds like others singing harmony parts to me, but I may be wrong of course.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

It was always my understanding that She's the Kind of Girl was the intended A-side.
    The sessions were in 1970 and in early 1971, yes.

3. Glenn Christense

Here's what the Byrd Watcher has to say about the track :
    http://ebni.com/byrds/

Later that year, the trio recorded four more tracks in Nashville. None of these are up to the caliber of the band's finest work, but they aren't an embarassment, either. The best of the new tracks is the remake of "He Was A Friend of Mine," which features just the three. Crosby's voice can be heard, harmonizing nicely, and Hillman sings a third low part -- something the original Byrds had rarely been able to manage.
    [​IMG]On the other three tracks, the trio are backed by Jorgenson and drummer Stan Lynch ofTom Petty'sHeartbreakers."Paths of Victory"is a Dylan outtake dating from 1964. The band uses the sprightly tempo of Dylan's demo, fleshed out with guitar and terrific mandolin work by Hillman."From A Distance,"the saccharine Julie Gold number, features Hillman on lead vocal, demonstrating the increased skill and confidence his singing had taken on in the 24 years since his first Byrds vocals.
    [​IMG]Whereas these last two songs are essentially Desert Rose Band songs with guest vocals from McGuinn and Crosby, "Love That Never Dies" is a Tom Petty song with guest vocals from McGuinn, Hillman and Crosby, thanks to McGuinn's writing partner Stan Lynch. This track sounds as if it might have been intended for McGuinn's solo outing,Back From Rio(Arista, 1991), which was released a few months after the boxed set. (Heartbreakers Lynch, Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell all appear on that CD, as does Petty himself.)Al Kooperreceives a credit for keyboards, but his playing is inaudible. Apparently, his work was mixed out, just likeLeon Russell'skeyboards on the very first Byrds song.

On "Love That Never Dies"
    Chris Hillman plays guitar and not bass
    [​IMG]

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

So "One in A Hundred" and "She's the Kind of Girl" were never intended to be Byrds tracks? I never knew that but it makes since. I love both tunes.

5. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The song is copyrighted 1990 McGuinn Music (BMI)/Virgin Music Inc. and credits McGuinn (12 string & lead vocals), Hillman (acoustic), John Jorgensen (bass and lead guitars), Stan Lynch (drums), Al Kooper (keyboard) and Crosby (harmony). So you're correct, Crosby does sing harmony, Hillman apparently doesn't add any vocals, but does play acoustic guitar.

I've never liked this song though.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I am not a expert on solo McGuinn...but I thought his vocals were feeble sounding on these news tracks. I still love the songs but Roger's voice does not seem very strong.

7. Glenn Christense

Thanks Jim. I knew I could hear Crosby in there, and I don't mean Bing Crosby.:D

kevinsinnott and zobalob like this.
  8. Glenn Christense

If you've never heard Roger's Back from Rio CD (same era) and you love the Byrds/Roger , I'd say pick it up. Very strong vocals from Roger, who plays plenty of electric 12 string , Crosby and Hillman guest.

TonyR and AlienRendel like this.
  9. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I will pick it up. I remember it being a pretty big deal when it came out.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  10. Glenn Christense

I don't hate it but it's not a song I get the urge to play very often either. It's a solid....3/10.:D

zobalob likes this.
  11. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:laugh: I'm just imagining a stoned diatribe from Bing after he'd been at the Bob Hope.

12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Ok here is the interview with Roger...

RM: Oh yeah, these are people I know and love to work with. All of them, Stan Lynch and John Jorgenson especially. I have to tell you a funny story about them. When the Byrds box set came out back in ‘91, Sony Music said “Well, would you guys be willing to do some new tracks?”, so we went to Nashville and Crosby and Hillman were there, and we did a couple of songs together, then it was time to do my song, that Stan Lynch and I had written together called “Love That Never Dies” right? So Crosby and Hillman bug out. They said “Well you guys can handle it.” [laughter] So Stan Lynch, John Jorgenson and myself were the Byrds for that song. There are no other Byrds on that song, and it got played on the radio—it was like a Top 40 hit.

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/mcguinn-roger-040520/

13. peachyg72

peachyg72 Forum Resident

Listening to There Is A Season Disc 1 on a dull drizzly typical Irish Summers day, The Early Byrds better than sunshine:love:

pablo fanques, bonus, Dee Zee and 3 others like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

I think Roger got carried away because I can hear Crosby's vocal clearly in the song.

zobalob likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

I think Roger got carried away , because I can hear Crosby clearly on the track, unless Jorgenson is an amazing vocal mimic.

zobalob and Mechanical Man like this.
  16. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Yeah, I feel like I can too. Maybe they invested and brought in a doppelganger? :confused:

Don't hear Hillman at all for whatever that's worth.

17. Glenn Christense

That makes sense becasue Hillmen doesn't sing on the track.

I'd also be interested in trying to confirm Roger's statement that the song was a top 40 hit.
    Thanks to Byrdman77 for posting the quote though.

18. Clarkophile

No, in fact the sessions were kept hush-hush so that the press wouldn't know. Kind of makes you wonder how the Asylum album would have turned out had they kept those sessions under wraps until everyone was satisfied.

zobalob likes this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

So they must have added more guitar and maracas to the basic track to make it sound like YTY. The drums are isolated on 5D but not on YTY.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What's your source for that, Tom? I wonder because I first learned about these tracks from Bud Scoppa's book The Byrds (a biography of the band aimed at teenagers and published in 1971 by Scholastic). Scoppa attends a session for Untitled and provides a fly-on-the-wall description, and mentions talking about the tracks with Dickson. It doesn't seem like anyone is trying to keep them secret, at least not at that point:

Dickson strolled over and mentioned that he was in the final stages of producing a very special Gene Clark single: "All five original Byrds are on it," Jim said. "They worked separately, though. David did some beautiful harmony on it... and Roger went back and improved his guitar after David did the harmony, it was so good. Roger had to go back and put some more stuff on."

D.B. likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Someone quoted Seiter's description of the session in one of the myriad Byrds threads here, but I can't find it right now. My recollection is that he said it was the first session for recording YTY, and described them pulling out the tape and recording vocals. No mention was made of instrumental overdubbing, though I suppose it's possible additional overdubbing was done at a later session.

22. Clarkophile

Einarson, pg. 161:
    "The momentous event, the first reunion of the original five since 1966, was kept from the public and the media."

23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hi Phil!

kevinsinnott and wayne66 like this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Thanks. Huh... wonder what Einarson's source was? As I noted, Dickson doesn't seem particularly secretive when he casually mentions it to Scoppa.

25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Interesting.

If you listen to the 5D album in stereo, you hear the drums by themselves off to one side through most of the album, with the bass and both guitars in the other speaker. (The two songs with the string section use a different configuration.) I don't think there are any tunes on 5D that have the two guitars split left and right. Sometimes, a lead guitar will enter in the center.

But the version of "Why" on Y&T has the guitars split left and right, like they are on the rest of the album.

This would suggest that either (1) they added guitar and placed it to one side with the drums for a better balance, or (2) that the guitars and bass were on more than one track of the 5D album, and the decision to pile them all into one speaker was a mixing choice rather than a necessity based on track allocation of instruments. Or, (3) that "Why" is truly a YTY recording.

I know I'm getting geeky here, but I think this distinction is worth mentioning.

Chris M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.