Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Part 4! Who says the Byrds aren't popular anymore?
    Well, I do ( :p ) but I'm happy to say there's a core group of us keeping it going.

Wish I knew what happened to Stateless, the member who started this thread in 2012. He just kind of disappeared one day.

RobCos02330 and theMess like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

He flew the coop.. ;)

4. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I listen to the Byrds much more now than I did when I first "discovered" them (in the late 80s via Never Before, of all things!). Back then, I figured that the interesting music ended with Notorious Byrd Brothers.

However, I play it all now--this week I've been really enjoying the '73 reunion album (and a ton of Gene Clark).

5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Who sings lead on "Reputation", the outtake from Sweetheart of the Rodeo?

6. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

That's Gram with Chris right? Sounds like a proto-Flying Burrito Brothers track doesn't it? I really like that one.

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

That is what is confusing me. The vocals are different sounding to me. Gram w/ Chris? Chris w/ Gram? Chris & Gram?

I also like it a lot.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm like jpmosu - enjoying and appreciating the Byrds and Clark more now than I did back then.

Brettlowden, Dovetail7 and Rickchick like this.
  9. Clarkophile

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    bluemooze, Oatsy, Will Harris and 8 others like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I got Never Before also in the late 80's (maybe that's when it came out) but I sure did listen to it a lot. That version of You Won't Have to Cry is better than the one on Tambourine Man, I think.

The MEZ and jpmosu like this.
  11. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Amazing article! Thanks for sharing!

Clarkophile likes this.
  12. Clarkophile

I enjoyed it too.
    From the post, here's more with Ronstadt:

[​IMG]

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"You Won't Have to Cry" isn't on Never Before. Are you perchance thinking of In the Beginning instead?

I remember how shocked and excited I was to see Never Before appear in the store one day. An LP of new, unreleased Byrds songs? And when I listened to it, I was even even more shocked and puzzled to hear how great most of those songs were. Why were they left in the can? (At the time, I was ignorant of the byzantine inter-band politics that drove their release decisions).

And then a couple years later, the CD came out, with seven additional songs not on the record. That CD is what forced me to give in and buy myself a CD player... it was the first CD I ever bought, in fact. I remember poring over the discography in that CD booklet, and finding out to my surprise that Crosby was on half of Notorious, and Mike Clarke was not on half of it, and Gene Clark might be on it. It opened the door to learning about Byrds history, which I was to find out was just as fascinating as their records.

Mr5D, PhilBorder, takechan and 15 others like this.
  14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

yeah must be in the beginning on cassette

15. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Both In The Beginning and Never Before are essential for me - the former has the best version of The Airport Song and the latter the best versions of The Day Walk and It's All Over Now.

Dovetail7 and The MEZ like this.
  16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Recently I've grown kind of bored with the Byrds, perhaps due to overfamiliarity, but I have to agree -- among the outtakes and especially among the Preflyte sessions are scattered some of their most exhilarating music. I've been finding the Preflyte sessions a more satisfying listen than either of their first two proper albums recently.

The MEZ and Rickchick like this.
  17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

FYI
    Just watched the 2009 restored Easy Rider on blu-ray. The soundtrack is available in a 5.1 surround and those Byrds and McGuinn songs are in surround. Sweet. The picture quality is outstanding and the film is a counterculture classic. Highly recommended if you have a surround set-up.

Oh, and of course, the two main characters are modeled after McGuinn and Crosby. Big Byrds connection.

Michael Bean and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

WHAT! Hoping that never happens to me, on my 18th year of listening :)

Rickchick, theMess and Maggie like this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What's the con nection with Crosby an McGuinn? Just the look?

20. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I met Roger backstage after concert a few years ago. Of course I didn't have anything great to say or ask him but we talked about my guitar which I had him sign and a little bit about Riks too.

Brettlowden and Rickchick like this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The two main characters' personalities are supposedly based on them, and of course Hopper obviously looks like Crosby too, with the bushy moustache and wide-brimmed hat.

Bcorig and zobalob like this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Plus , I think Crosby was inclined to use the word "man" in sentences quite a bit, as did Hopper in the movie.. man. :D

23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Right! And if I remember correctly, the Hopper character nodded his head and also had that Crosbyish smile.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I think Hopper used the word "man" a lot in his movies. I just watched the biker gang flick The Glory Stompers a few weeks back, he must have used it 100 times. Pretty bad movie, but totally worth watching, man...especially for the debut movie appearance of an unrecognizable Casey Kasem as a tough guy biker.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That alone makes the movie worth seeing. :D

Plus , you make me laugh, in a good way . I like your thought process : What movie do I want to watch ? Let's see. Should I go see Birdman ? Nah. Should I rent Grand Budapest Hotel ? Nope.
    I know! The Glory Stompers ! :D ;)

Rickchick and zobalob like this.